Author Topic: Anyone have Sony's spending records lately....  (Read 4641 times)

Offline OmniOck

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
Anyone have Sony's spending records lately....
« on: September 06, 2006, 07:11:56 pm »
In a recent issue of WIRED magazine, the one with the giant pink cover, there is a nice story about how much Sony is putting into the PS3. I don't want to create another Sony topic but this is about Sony as a whole, not just their video game zone, but the company in everything they do, more precisely, their budget. Wired stated that Sony had $6 billion in their reserves. 4 billion of that is going into the PS3, in R&D, and production. So wait, Sony is putting 2/3 of ALL of their budget into the PS3?! The PS2 only made a profit after 5 years on the market, how in this world is Sony thinking they will make it all back in one console cycle?!? I had all the big three last console cycle, and a gaming computer, and I don't want to see any console or medium fall. Sony strategy seems suicidal, risking the entire company of video games, again, a very non-profitable sector! Again, the PS2 only made a profit after 5 years, all the way at the end of the cycle.
       Now, I realize that, this isn't the entire iceburg. Sony, from what I can tell, could care less about the PS3. Even with risking the entire company, if the PS3 is bust, it all won't matter. All that needs to happen is that Blue-Ray medium takes off. Everyone knows Sony makes all their cash off having third party people use their format. Sony PS2/3 are NOT gaming systems. They only exist to promote the mediums, which is how Sony seems to be planning to make back the cash and show some profit. But $600.00, or even $500.00... WHO IS GOING TO BUY THAT?!
       I don't mean to be mean, but why would I buy a new player when my DVD works absolutely great! And 1080p? Err... what does that mean, the resolution? The speed of the reflecting pixels in a TV?  Why do I need more space, for anything?! Games don't fill up DVDs, and movies and TV show series are doing just dandy on the DVD. Why would I ever need a B-Ray?And why for 500, maybe even 600 dollars?!

OK, Sorry about this rant everyone. I just needed to get around to posting this. I know everyone already knows this and realized this  months ago, and if thats the case, please excuse my personal clarification by writing. Ideas?

EDIT: I kinda rushed this post so I didn't really take a hard enough glance through the forum. Maybe Steve should make a Sony Bashing sub-forum? I hate to see Any company leave the gaming sector, since competition is how us customers win.

EDIT II: Corrected the money values.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 07:21:02 pm by OmniOck »

-----

Common sense makes no sense as it is not commonly used!
( And thanks Alex for the sig!)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: Anyone have Sony's spending records lately....
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 07:17:38 pm »
Six MILLION in their reserves?

That is all? That is pocket change!

That number can't be correct...

Offline OmniOck

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 07:19:59 pm »
O My Gosh! I'm terribly sorry! It's 6 Billion, with a B! Sorry about that! Dang 12:AM posts...
-----

Common sense makes no sense as it is not commonly used!
( And thanks Alex for the sig!)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 07:23:17 pm »
Phew... I was gonna say...

That is A LOT of their money to spend on the PS3... I mean... it will sell... but I don't think as well as they want...

I would be surprised if they make back their development budget any time soon...

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 07:35:24 pm »
Even if it did sell well, would they be able to gain back all of the money they spent and lost?

If Blu-ray wins, they will.

If doesn't, well....

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 07:04:49 am »
PS3 olol
 :D

Oh, sorry ... got sidetracked there. Yeah, they're in deep crap right now. The mixture of production problems, two pending lawsuits, and the recall of their ion-lithium batteries by Dell and Apple -- all of it hitting at nearly the same time is torture on the company. And don't forget, folks: Even if Blu-Ray became the standard, it would still take numerous millions of PS3s selling -- as the stand-alone Blu-Ray players are insanely expensive, and they are losing about $300 per PS3 made and sold. This is bad.

Offline BlessedBullet

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 07:48:43 pm »
A few months ago, Sony reported on their financials that they where taking out a loan and Sony has almost never taken out loans.  They're really banking on Blu Ray and PS3

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 06:36:18 pm »
I blame Blu-Ray on this whole mess.  The reason the PS3 is priced 500 - 600 dollars is Blu-Ray.  The reason the PS3 is delayed in Europe and greatly limited supplies in Japan and the U.S is because of Blu-ray. 

Blu-Ray, from what I've read, gets low yields, scratches easily and costs more to produce.  All of this for what?  Do I care that it'll allow me to play in 1080p?  No, I don't even know wtf that means.  Do I care for more space on the disk?  No, the only thing it will due is allow developers to be lazy and not compress their work.  I don't care if it's in HD, I just want to play games and I see the Blu-Ray as something preventing me from doing so. 

This is coming from a friggin' self described hardcore gamer.  Imagine what the average person will think about this.  You know, the people that bought a PS2 for games like Madden, the people that made the PS2 such a great success.  They're not going to pay 600 dollars for a PS3.

Hell, I doubt the average movie fan will care, either.  Who in their right mind is going to buy all of their movies again just to watch them in HD?  Who the hell even has an HD-TV? 

Truth be told, I'll be surprised if any of the next gen formats take off.  The DVD is fine, I'm not willing to pay extra just so Sony can have a proprietary format.  You shouldn't either.  It's disgusting. 

As you can see, I hate Blu-Ray and I hate HD-DVD (atleast HD-DVD isn't being forced upon me).  My rants done. 

Offline Devoid

• Qix Crazy
  • Join the resistance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 06:45:03 pm »
Right on, Sub. You hit several nails square in the head.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 07:44:52 pm »
I couldn't agree more with you, Sub.

Especially considering the fact that current and next-gen games can easily fit onto one DVD, and that as time moves on, compression will get better, and developers will learn new ways to squeeze more onto a single disk.

Look at Nintendo. They were able to save a great amount of space on the GameCube disk by using cutscenes using the in-game engine, rather than FMV sequences. And in my opinion, cutscenes using the in-game engine are way better than FMV sequences. Just look at Final Fantasy X: You suddenly disconnect from the game once the FMV sequences take hold. It really takes you out of the experience.

Offline Paradox

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2006, 05:22:38 pm »
They haven't really helped Blu-ray by suggesting the PS4 might use a HDD instead, but then Sony work in mysterious/idiotic ways. How long until digital downloads become the standard? Sony will be at a stretch to recoup their research costs before then

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2006, 04:53:43 am »
Sony are deemed to fail. They simply don't understand the market. And for their insanely stupid anti-piracy tactics, they deserve to burn. Maybe after I get to try the PS3 tho, cause some things on it look sweet, but after that, burn Sony!

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2006, 09:35:48 am »
Sony are deemed to fail. They simply don't understand the market. And for their insanely stupid anti-piracy tactics, they deserve to burn. Maybe after I get to try the PS3 tho, cause some things on it look sweet, but after that, burn Sony!

Why, oh friggin' why, does Resistance have to be on that system?! Ugh.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2006, 07:04:59 am »
eeeh so if every console costs like 600....and the put 4 bill into it....they have to sell 20 mil to have 0 profit....omg am i right? or am i bad at math

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2006, 07:38:09 am »
Why, oh friggin' why, does Resistance have to be on that system?! Ugh.

It looks good, but Resistence seems to be a pretty "meh" shooter if you ask me. It looks nice, but nothing too special or unique.

"Look, you can shake the controller to get the alien off you!"

Like you've been saying PHI, that game just won't feel right without the rumble.