Author Topic: You're turning this into Fable hype  (Read 5537 times)

Offline gbCerberus

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
You're turning this into Fable hype
« on: September 06, 2006, 04:32:49 pm »
AKA Over-speculation is bad for your health

I'd like to share a little story with you. Years ago I lurked the Fable forum much as I do this Spore forum. I specifically remember this one discussion pertaining to how the game was going to deal with the player's death, going on the following premise: Moleneux had mentioned really hard games like Ninja Gaiden and said they'd never want to punish the player the way they do. One poster assumed this meant that when you 'died' you'd wake up back in town after being drug back by a towns person.

One day I in Fable I decided to die and see what happened. I attacked a group of bandits, put down my controler, watched as my 9 auto-ressurrect potions were used, and saw...

A game over screen. :-\ Nothing different than what happens when you die in Ninja Gaiden. Was it my fault for expecting something cool and never seeing it in game? Yes.

My point is this: I like to get worked up about a game before its released the same as the next gamer, but there's excitement and fanboy-ism... and then there's the flamefests based on scraps on vague information that have seemingly invaded this forum.

So please, calm down and remember Spore isn't complete and don't know what the finished product will be.

Thank you.

"You can only see as far as you think."

Offline SpecialBrownies

• Donkey Kong King
  • They look so special!
    • View Profile
Re: You're turning this into Fable hype
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 04:37:26 pm »
First of all. You try to compare it to Molyneux's super over-hyped games, and then you even choose a really bad example from one of them. That wasn't even one of the big let downs of Fable. And he made death less bad, because it's very, very, hard to die, unless you aren't at all good at the game, or you don't buy any of those potions.

Why didn't you at least use a good example, like the whole "Living with the consequences of your actions" thing, where you were supposed to change things if you failed a mission. But no, if you fail, it just says "You failed. Would you like to retry?". That would have been a better example for your bab comparrison.
"If you put an infinite amount of monkeys in a room with computers, they would code Spore."

-SpecialBrownies

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 04:41:45 pm »
Get the Anti-Sporessimist signs out! It's time for another round!

I agree with you though. However, Spore isn't too over-hyped, and I, at least, attempt to keep my observations perfectly logical and try to quiet down other's erroneous observations.

Offline gbCerberus

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 04:43:07 pm »
SpecialBrownies: I discount your counter-argument on the basis that I could have probably thought up a better reply.

Doesn't sound like a good way to debate, now does it? I could have used any example, mine was personal.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 04:55:01 pm by gbCerberus »
"You can only see as far as you think."

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 04:47:54 pm »
In before marine creatures debate.

Offline HanianKnight

• Choplifter Captain
  • He's Probably a Good Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 04:54:21 pm »
MARINE CREATURES!!!
By the time you finish reading this signature, I've gotten into your house, stolen your t.v., and re-decorated the place so that it fits with your hipster lifestyle.

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 05:54:38 pm »
Get the Anti-Sporessimist signs out! It's time for another round!
Except this time, the pessimists are wrong.
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline CommunistHamster

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 11:53:07 pm »
I must say that we are over-hyping spore a bit.

Offline dlseth

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 12:07:55 am »
It's not your fault for expecting but moreso Molyneux fault for being a lying piece of scum. Why isnt that man bankrupt and forced to work something more appropriate to his level of competence?

But yes, Spore is getting slightly overhyped. I feel a lot of people are gonna be disappointed, especially considering the usual level of quality EA releases.

It's still better then anything Lionhead ever put out though...
}><(((^^>

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2006, 12:43:39 am »
If people get too high expectations, it's because they've visited this forum too little. I think the general mood here is that if Will said it, it might be, and if not, then we can only dream about it.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006, 01:30:03 am »
All this and only 9 months to go. (June, 2007)

Offline Talkc

• Star Castle Cadet
  • Oh YEAAAAAAAH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2006, 01:35:30 am »
All this and only 9 months to go. (June, 2007)

LET THE PREGNANCY BEGIN!!!!

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2006, 04:54:20 am »
One day I in Fable I decided to die and see what happened. I attacked a group of bandits, put down my controler, watched as my 9 auto-ressurrect potions were used, and saw...

Well that was bloody stupid. First of all, you should NEVER use your main character for testing out things like that. Its your own damn fault.

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2006, 05:40:16 am »

Well that was bloody stupid. First of all, you should NEVER use your main character for testing out things like that. Its your own damn fault.
I think you're missing the point...

Offline Malt

• Swordquest Superstar
  • Experience Dance Tonight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2006, 06:15:39 am »
You're no better. You're just jumping on the dissapointed bandwagon.

How about this, be happy that an innovative game is coming out, be happy with what it has(And what it doesn't have), and play it. No need to hype up/hype down an unreleased game we know next to nothing about.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 06:05:59 am by Malt »
DUDETHISISJUSTWRONGGOLOCKTHISTHREADMALT4MOD