Author Topic: Ice Planets?  (Read 4661 times)

Offline Amberfox

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
Ice Planets?
« on: June 08, 2005, 02:50:40 pm »
I'm just curious... will there be Ice Planets and will the player be able to create colonies on them? Please don't kill me in case this question was already answered somewhere...  ::)

Offline Jayce

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
Re: Ice Planets?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 02:56:57 pm »
I am pretty sure there will be however whether you can create life on one or colonise one is another matter. It has been said that each planet has a rating on how easy it is to colonise it based on it's distance from it's sun therefore it's feasible planets far from their sun will be very cold and most likely covered in ice of some sort.

Maybe.

Offline Tarious

• Adventure Ace
  • FINISH HIM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 03:01:28 pm »
Jayce said it exactly.

I don't know if u would start on an ice planet cause that'd make herbivorses pretty much out of the question.

Offline Borogove

• Venture Conqueror
  • mimsy: adj. - flimsy and miserable :(
    • View Profile
    • Meyermike.com
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 03:06:56 pm »
With luck there won't be too much of the single-habitat-as-entire-planet thing. 
I mean, I wouldn't call Earth an "ice planet" and yet we have lots and varied creatures at the poles.
And even Mars may be mostly rusty desert but it has poles full of dry ice.

So yeah I'm hoping that we'll run into planets where it matters what part you colonize.

Jayce said it exactly.

I don't know if u would start on an ice planet cause that'd make herbivorses pretty much out of the question.
There must be some oceanic herbivores near the Earth's poles...something's gotta be below the carnivores on the food chain.
Use those talents you have. You will make it. You will give joy to the world. Take this tip from nature: The woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except those who sang best.
-- Bernard Meltzer

Check out my games:  http://www.meyermike.com

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005, 03:09:44 pm »
I mean, I wouldn't call Earth an "ice planet" and yet we have lots and varied creatures at the poles.

So yeah I'm hoping that we'll run into planets where it matters what part you colonize.

Jayce said it exactly.

There must be some oceanic herbivores near the Earth's poles...something's gotta be below the carnivores on the food chain.

I don't know what the herbivores are for sure but my guess is fish. The herbivore fish would eat plankton.

Offline Zuul

• Atari Combat Vet
  • Touch fuzzy, get clubbed to death.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005, 03:59:25 pm »
Would you call Pluto an "ice planet"?  ;)

I generally agree though. If the planet can sustain life, it should be a varied complex biosphere, not just an all jungle or all forest world. Thats a strange simplification from science ficton books and games. The land to ocean ratio should be fairly random as well.

And lifeless planets should be varied too. Icy Pluto is very different to Hellish Mercury which is very different still to equally Hellish if not more so(but for a completely different reason) Venus which is different to Neptune(Do we know if Gas Giants are in yet, btw)?
Next 5 exits: The Edge of the Universe. Last stop for gas.

Offline Tarrasque

• Mystery House Madman
  • Freedom at last!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2005, 04:07:37 pm »
A true ice planet would be Europa, the second Galilean moon of Jupiter. It is probably an ocean world with a couple of dozen of miles of ice on it. If there were some volcanic activity on the seafloor, there might be some simple life. But it's unlikely it could evolve into a Willosaurus.
"I'm Jack's complete lack of surprise"

Offline PC Dave

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2005, 04:15:29 pm »
Well judging from a quote from Steve, when your creature evolves a big human-level brain and you move into the tribal stage, the world generates based on your species specifications. Kind of a reverse evolution. lol It's basically a way to justify the wierd ass creation you've just come up with (before that point the "world" is made on the fly afaik).

So if you've made a carniverous water-based creature you'll find it on a world of mostly water, with lots of lil guys running around for your tribe to eat up.

Offline kthx

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2005, 12:01:45 am »
Lichen and moss grow in tundras, maybe they could eat that.

Personally, I'd make wampas like in The Empire Strikes Back.
kthxbye

Offline Jayce

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2005, 12:12:24 am »
Something that caught my eye was talk of poles, will there be cold and warm regions on your own planet?

Offline xcoldcloudx

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2005, 05:12:11 am »
that would be cool if there was but when Will was showing his planet in the demo it all looked like the same climate.

Offline Amberfox

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2005, 05:39:20 am »
maybe they're still working on that...   ::)

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2005, 11:27:37 am »
I would think so.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline Tarious

• Adventure Ace
  • FINISH HIM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2005, 11:47:36 am »
I was kind of thinking about poles too.

I don't remember Will's planet having poles though.