Author Topic: Borat (AKA HILARIOUS)  (Read 10776 times)

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
Re: Borat (AKA HILARIOUS)
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2006, 05:12:42 pm »
I loved the bit where they go into the Jew's houses and have to escape.

"The Jews have changed thier shapes! Throw money at them Azamat!"
"What's this? Could it be? Is she laying a Jew Egg? Go on kids, smash that jew chick before it hatches!"

I'm Jewish....
and I cannot believe the producer was a Jew. what an embarrassment...does she hate her own people or something like that?

Offline Devoid

• Qix Crazy
  • Join the resistance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2006, 05:52:02 pm »
I don't think it's supposed to be insulting Jews. It's supposed to insult people who insult Jews. You don't think his insane beliefs of Jewish people are a little funny? It's dark humor, I suppose, and probably difficult to laugh at because you're part of the equation.

I think the guy who plays Borat is actually Jewish. I think I heard that somewhere.

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2006, 05:55:04 pm »
I'm Jewish....
and I cannot believe the producer was a Jew. what an embarrassment...does she hate her own people or something like that?
It's called satire. ::)

Also, Sacha Baron Cohen is a guy. He's the one who plays Borat. :D

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2006, 06:59:10 pm »

"What's this? Could it be? Is she laying a Jew Egg? Go on kids, smash that jew chick before it hatches!"

I'm Jewish....

This is an English thing, it's called humour through self-depreciation.

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2006, 10:14:24 pm »
I've seen the previews for this and it seems... well, stupid. He looks like some american dude with a cheezy mustache, his accent sounds completely fake, and he makes stupidly dumb jokes. Like, jokes that anyone with half a brain could have thought of.

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2006, 12:38:24 am »

I'm Jewish....

This movie is apparently very popular in Israel. The movie is nothing against Jews, it's more like a social commentary. Many of the comments he makes he makes in front of others. Part of the point is to show how either active anti-sementism is, or how common it is for people to not defend Jewish people (or other various minorities).  As for scenes that don't involve other people it's just a bit of tongue in cheek self humour. You have to be able to laugh at yourself before you can make jokes at other peoples expense.

I think you just have to enjoy it

Also for the record Sacha Baron Cohen is a devout Jew. In fact he wrote his thesis on Jewish involvement in the American Civil Rights movement at Cambridge. It may sound offensive reading it right out, but unless you actually see it, you might not get how big of a joke it really is supposed to be.
My karma ran over your dogma

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2006, 12:45:28 pm »
The opening scene of the film involves a festival where giant Jews costumes run through a village. One of them then lays an egg. You can not possibly tell me you take this seriously?

Note: I am a very small part Jewish (race, not religion) myself.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2006, 04:49:11 pm »
I'm Jewish....
It's called satire. ::)

Also, Sacha Baron Cohen is a guy. He's the one who plays Borat. :D

Oh...I misread it as sarah Baron Cohen

Offline aligon

• Tron User
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2006, 06:09:19 pm »
AAAHAHAAHA. I love this, its so bad, yet it's so funny...

As Inevitable as Life Itself. Spread the Joy.

My Sporepedia page:
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Aligon

The Agnoculus:
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=7619.0

Offline Khaz-Rhoz-Zek

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2006, 11:25:41 pm »
I've never been a fan of comedies like this. 

Offline Huckbuck

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2006, 02:32:23 pm »
Seen it. Its the best comedy ever. (or close to). This movie will go down in history along with Monty Python and stuff like that.

I've seen the previews for this and it seems... well, stupid. He looks like some american dude with a cheezy mustache, his accent sounds completely fake, and he makes stupidly dumb jokes. Like, jokes that anyone with half a brain could have thought of.

Watch the movie, I think you will change your mind. If not you are a very boring person. (or a very stupid person that doesnt understand humor). No offence.
@davidramnero

Offline HanianKnight

• Choplifter Captain
  • He's Probably a Good Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2006, 04:30:04 pm »
Now that I've seen it, its time to wait a year or so for the Bruno movie to come out.
By the time you finish reading this signature, I've gotten into your house, stolen your t.v., and re-decorated the place so that it fits with your hipster lifestyle.

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2006, 01:06:51 pm »

You do know that he is British, and that the mustache is in fact 100% real, right? And the best jokes in the movie are the jokes they wouldn't let you see on TV.
My karma ran over your dogma

Offline sltlamina

• Sinistar Worker
  • Readin this? You just wasted a second of your life
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2006, 01:45:29 am »
About the Jew thing It's kinda like the Simpsons episode when they go to Ozzy Land and then when the gate at the embassy closes It says "Made In America" And It like stops and sparks and almost catches on fire...people take the piss outa their selves all the time. Also Isn't he like actually the guy who did Ally-G? He's funny.

Offline HanianKnight

• Choplifter Captain
  • He's Probably a Good Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2006, 04:44:30 am »
yes he made the Ali-G show.( To answer sltlamina) Thats why there will be a Bruno movie later on, and I have to agree Ali-G show is one of the best things I've seen In a while.
By the time you finish reading this signature, I've gotten into your house, stolen your t.v., and re-decorated the place so that it fits with your hipster lifestyle.