Author Topic: america's laser weapons  (Read 14215 times)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: america's laser weapons
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2006, 02:22:48 pm »
Why are you so active all of the sudden?

Offline Aybraus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • aka VFX Watch aka Toothy aka Chris.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2006, 02:31:53 pm »
Laser weapons are for defensive purposes.  Our planet's roundness keeps us from using lasers on anything except for ICBMs and planes flying over our turf.

200th post.
I'm toothy22 on Steam. Someone needs to invite me into the GS clan!

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2006, 02:40:10 pm »
on a military stand point japan are nothing special,  America is the only country that can afford to develop these things and they are rushing like hell to get them done, why? who are they going to use these thingss against?

On the contrary, Japan is somewhat like Israel, they build new technologies and then sell them to us. Japan currently has the most modern navy in the world and is somewhat near the largest. Many people state that after WWII, the Japanese gave up their militaristic ways, but that is false.

We are developing it because we can! To heck with reason!

/sarcasm

I don't know why we are developing it, but the American economy is heavily dependent upon War. And the paranoid schizophrenic military planners consider every possible war, even those that are the least likely in today's world. Did you know, after WWI, that military planners in both Britain and America thought the next great war would be between them, simply because they were the two greatest naval powers after the war? That war was actually considered eventual rather than being actively avoided. It reminds me of China and America right now, their economies are intertwined to an immense degree, the destruction of one would fatally wound the other, and yet their is still talk of war!!!! Everytime I meet a person who honestly thinks we should worry about the "threat" of China, I set them straight. ;)

After WWII the generals thought no such thing. Both the UK and the US knew that their alliance with the Soviet Union was one on the basis of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend". Several generals were actually calling for the US and UK to invade the USSR while they could (one of them was 5 star general Patton).
At this point America could pull out of China's economy and survive (the economy wouldn't fall as bad as some of you think), but since China is still developing it would scar and crush the Chinese economy.

The U.S. is developing laser technologies, but at this point they aren't usable. Lego stated that they shot down some low level targets, and while that did happen, it wasn't good enough for the US Military which led to pulling the plug on the project. Some new scientists are working on the laser although they aren't getting much funding. They can't produce the long steady stream of light energy that is needed, but instead are heading for the fast burst technique in which rapid shots are fired hoping to hit the ICBM's reentry container.

Offline SmileyMan

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2006, 03:45:38 pm »
on a military stand point japan are nothing special,  America is the only country that can afford to develop these things and they are rushing like hell to get them done, why? who are they going to use these thingss against?

On the contrary, Japan is somewhat like Israel, they build new technologies and then sell them to us. Japan currently has the most modern navy in the world and is somewhat near the largest. Many people state that after WWII, the Japanese gave up their militaristic ways, but that is false.

Their navy is probably made out of plastic, like everything else those Japs come up with.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2006, 04:07:19 pm »
No one buys your childish "I hate the japanese" crap.

Your so called 'opinions' sound like they were culled from a 20 year-old sitcom that got axed because of poor ratings. There, i said it.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2006, 04:09:40 pm »
Actually most of the Japanese navy is based on (or built by) the US Navy. They are as technologicaly advanced as the USA.

If anybody thinks that lasers are going to be defensive only in nature, they are not looking at the bigger picture. All you need to do is mount a high-power laser (already developed- YAL-1) and put it on an aircraft (already developed - YAL-1) and get within 150-300 miles of a target and you can fry it. A weapons system able to hit a target going 3000mph and accelrating and burn a hole in it also has great potential as an  general purpose weapon. Those of you that have seen the movie 'Real Genious' know what I'm taking about, those that haven't, rent it (one of Val Kilmer's best) and realize that a 1980's comedy is becoming today's reality.

A multishot laser that can hit pinpoint targets... cut down power lines, destroy planes on the ground, kill people in the open, down forieng leaders while they are on their personal aircraft, burn holes in fuel and gass lines to cause 'accidents'... you now are looking at nearly hte ultimate stealth weapon.

-Lego

Offline SmileyMan

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2006, 06:10:14 am »
No one buys your childish "I hate the japanese" crap.

Your so called 'opinions' sound like they were culled from a 20 year-old sitcom that got axed because of poor ratings. There, i said it.

O'reily? You can't ignore the truth about Japanese crap.

Offline p-luke

• Joust Warrior
  • The Atheist God
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2006, 06:22:15 am »
@ Legodragonxp

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2006, 12:17:01 pm »
Right idea, but on lighter-weight targets, and without the big fancy beam. More like a hot-spot , sparks, and smoke at the point of impact. Taking out tanks... not very likely in the near future.

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2006, 12:12:52 pm »
the earths roundness does not prevent these lasers being used for attacking, they can even be mounted on satelites, now what would happen if america launched one of those satelites? the rest of the world would be incredibly pissed off that america took it upon themselves to give them the power to instantly strike anywhere in the world.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 12:17:01 pm by Brutus »
Never mind your own business.

Offline SmileyMan

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2006, 12:16:14 pm »
the earths roundness does not prevent these lasers being used for attacking, they can even be mounted on satelites, now what would happen if america launched one of thos satelites, the rest of the world would be incredibly pissed off that america took it upon themselves to give them the power to instantly strike anywhere in the world.

Nukes. And lots of them.

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2006, 12:20:01 pm »
thats one possibility but this kind of weapon could (if they were effective enough) make america immune to nuclear attack, now america would be the only country that would be immune to such an attack because other countries would have yet to steal/buy/develop their own weapons, so now america could launch a nuke with no fear of consequences and they would also be under pressure to use this ability in some way (wether through threats or actually doing it) before other countries bought/stole/developed these weapons.
that is a bad sign
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 12:25:40 pm by Brutus »

Offline p-luke

• Joust Warrior
  • The Atheist God
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2006, 12:28:05 pm »
Do you think America is the only country with scientists? I believe its germany who invented both the aircraft and the missile. Germany isnt that combat orientated anymore, because they now no that no good can come from war, but there are still some other countries then America who are highly war-orientated.

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2006, 12:55:50 pm »
the entire world is war orientated, 80% of the worlds scientists work for the military.

America is the only country that is researching these weapons

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2006, 12:57:56 pm »

We are developing it because we can! To heck with reason!

/sarcasm

I don't know why we are developing it, but the American economy is heavily dependent upon War. And the paranoid schizophrenic military planners consider every possible war, even those that are the least likely in today's world. Did you know, after WWI, that military planners in both Britain and America thought the next great war would be between them, simply because they were the two greatest naval powers after the war? That war was actually considered eventual rather than being actively avoided. It reminds me of China and America right now, their economies are intertwined to an immense degree, the destruction of one would fatally wound the other, and yet their is still talk of war!!!! Everytime I meet a person who honestly thinks we should worry about the "threat" of China, I set them straight. ;)

After WWII the generals thought no such thing. Both the UK and the US knew that their alliance with the Soviet Union was one on the basis of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend". Several generals were actually calling for the US and UK to invade the USSR while they could (one of them was 5 star general Patton).
At this point America could pull out of China's economy and survive (the economy wouldn't fall as bad as some of you think), but since China is still developing it would scar and crush the Chinese economy.

The U.S. is developing laser technologies, but at this point they aren't usable. Lego stated that they shot down some low level targets, and while that did happen, it wasn't good enough for the US Military which led to pulling the plug on the project. Some new scientists are working on the laser although they aren't getting much funding. They can't produce the long steady stream of light energy that is needed, but instead are heading for the fast burst technique in which rapid shots are fired hoping to hit the ICBM's reentry container.

That is correct, after WWII the the U.S and U.K wer best of friends. However, I was talking about the period of time after WWI also known as the Great War. At that point, Russia was in turmoil, and Germany suffering due to the overly harsh punishment imposed by the victorious. The U.S. and U.K. were at peace, but their military planners actually had military plans for "defensive purposes."

A war with China would jack up the price of nearly everything we in more developed countries today take for granted. Prices would go up and jobs opportunities and wages would become stagnant or shrink. Only some major companies would be able to survive such an event, and even then, they would have to scale back operations and relocate in some instances. And don't just localize the problem with China, any country that borders it will feel the effects, and suddenly a large portion of the world is suddenly not suitable for development due to localized warfare. Imagine the effect of the Middle East Tumoil effect on the price of their exports(the most famous of which: Oil). Now look at the products that China exports, in a war, all of those products would either cease production or become scarce. And the final thing the makes this even more foolish, China's army wouldn't just rollover like the latest few armies America has faced. It will be anything but a cakewalk, as an army of 2 million would not simply give up and go home.