Author Topic: america's laser weapons  (Read 14211 times)

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
Re: america's laser weapons
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2006, 05:09:36 am »
Laser weapon technology is nothing new, it is only now that they have the power to take out targets reliably.

Initially the only really deployable lasers (1970s) were to designation targets for laser gilded bombs (like the Paveway), missiles (like the Hellfire and Maverick), and artillery shells (Copperhead).

Next up would be 'blinding' lasers. The US had developed modified Bradley fighting vehicles that would automatically target and firing a laser at enemy vehicles to blind the crews. Although they deployed during the 1991 Gulf War, they were not used. Russian tank crew would use their laser-range-finders to blind Afghan rebels in the 1980 Afghan campaign. More modern version use blinding lasers to blind the seekers of heat-seeking and optical missiles and are mounted in small turrets on the back of aircraft (Russian is believed to have mounted them on their warships). Some very-low power blinding lasers had been mounted on US soldiers rifles for urban combat to blind the enemy during firefights. Such blinding systems are wanted to defend airliners from shoulder-fired anti-aircraft missiles to defeat terrorist attacks.

'Weapons-grade' lasers have been a dream weapon for the last 30 years, but it looks like they are just about here. There was a NKC-135A Airborne Laser lab that shot down several air-to-air missiles and a target drone in the late70s through the 1980s. The YAL-1 is a modified 747 that will be able to shoot down missiles in the boost phase from 'several hundred kilometers away'. With North Korea's development of long-range missiles, this is being made to deal with a very real threat. However, such a powerful weapon I'm sure will find more uses than just 'boost-phase missiles'.

Israel and the USMC are working on the THEL laser. A weapon based on a desperate need to deal with ballistic rocket barrages like the kind that were fired during the 34-day conflict in southern Lebanon. Once completed, such systems will surely find their way on the warships, tanks, and military aircraft on most US and its Allies military forces.

As for the 'race' - the Star Wars project of the 1980s was part of the arms-race, and turned in to an economic battle thatpushed the USSR in to bankruptcy. Today's 'race' is to build defense systems that are fast, CHEAP, and reliable to deal with attacks by enemy forces that would use mass destruction over 'pin-point' attacks.

-Lego

Online Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2006, 05:10:40 am »
Blinding weapons are forbidden by the geneva convention you know... but killing weapons arent... funny old world.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline p-luke

• Joust Warrior
  • The Atheist God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2006, 07:37:25 am »
I wonder if lasers could be made in such a way that they can destroy nukes when they are launched... that would keep everyone from launching them I guess  :P

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2006, 07:45:26 am »
Blinding weapons are forbidden by the geneva convention you know... but killing weapons arent... funny old world.

As of 1996 when ammended:

Protocol IV on Blinding Laser Weapons prohibits the use of laser weapons specifically designed, as their sole combat function or as one of their combat functions, to cause permanent blindness to unenhanced vision, that is to the naked eye or to the eye with corrective eyesight devices. The High Contracting Parties shall not transfer such weapons to any State or non-State entity.

Temporary blindness is permitted, the effect being similar to have a extremely bright spot-light shined in your face. I wouldn't want to place any bets on some poor soldier with 20x telescopic binoculars that gets hit however.

-Lego

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2006, 07:58:38 am »
Who cares?

LASERS!!!

Online Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2006, 08:01:30 am »
Pyeow pyeow! Bzzzt!

They should build Nikola Tesla's death ray next :D

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2006, 08:46:32 am »
I'd rather see his wireless electricity transfer. Seems like a better gift to the world.

Online Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2006, 08:47:28 am »
Theres a danger of inadvertantly frying birds though... wouldnt you rather fry commies on purpose?  ;)

Offline Smem

• Mystery House Madman
  • British Waffle
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2006, 12:14:56 pm »
It reminds me of China and America right now, their economies are intertwined to an immense degree, the destruction of one would fatally wound the other, and yet their is still talk of war!!!! Everytime I meet a person who honestly thinks we should worry about the "threat" of China, I set them straight. ;)

Omg i know so many people who think china is going to attack america some time, muahaha now i can own them  ;D
Waffles own you: Dude you hate me ='(
Smem: i hate no one
Waffles own you: what about pigeons :p
Smem: pigeons arn't one they are many

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2006, 12:29:52 pm »
Theres a danger of inadvertantly frying birds though... wouldnt you rather fry commies on purpose? ;)
Wheres Psammeticus when you need him?
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2006, 01:20:10 pm »
Obviously we're developing the lasers to put them on the frickin' moon.

Offline p-luke

• Joust Warrior
  • The Atheist God
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2006, 01:30:07 pm »
or.... to draw a smiley on it! Happy thoughts all night long!

Offline Chickenman297

• Scramble Skipper
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2006, 01:39:28 pm »
All's I wanted was a few fricken sharks with some fricken lasers on their heads :D
Book, book, book

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2006, 01:42:15 pm »
I will be first in line when they start selling lasers to the public.

There I called it.

Offline Chickenman297

• Scramble Skipper
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2006, 02:03:51 pm »
I will be first in line when they start selling lasers to the public.

There I called it.
They already do
http://www.onpointlasers.com/
Book, book, book