Author Topic: america's laser weapons  (Read 14222 times)

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
america's laser weapons
« on: September 04, 2006, 02:50:14 am »
at the moment america is pouring alot of cash into development of a laser weapon designed to destroy planes, satelites and even ground locations and they say "the race is on to get this stuff on the battle field" and i was just wondering . . . .  who are they "racing" against? what other country has almost comat ready laser weapons?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 03:03:36 am by Brutus »

Never mind your own business.

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
Re: americas laser weapons
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 02:53:34 am »
The USSR Terrorists...are we onto "Aliens" yet?

I don't think any country is anywhere near laser weopon technology. If a country was, it would be someone high-tech like Japan.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 03:03:31 am »
and Japan are our freinds. Why else would they give us the Wii?
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline SmileyMan

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 03:04:40 am »
and Japan are our freinds. Why else would they give us the Wii?

To kill stupid Nintendo fanboys.

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
Re: america's laser weapons
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 03:05:18 am »
on a military stand point japan are nothing special,  America is the only country that can afford to develop these things and they are rushing like hell to get them done, why? who are they going to use these thingss against?

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 03:08:03 am »
What enemies does America have?

The Middle East arent advanced enough....Korea is pretty militaristic (understatement), are they an advanced nation?
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 03:21:24 am »
North Korea may have nukes but they dont have the infrastructure to develop laser weapons. This is just a rehash of Nixon's star war's programme, america wants to eliminate MAD and nuke somewhere.

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2006, 03:30:29 am »
*Waits patiently for the "We hate America" Flame War to return.*

I think it's a skirmish so far.

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2006, 03:37:58 am »
We are developing it because we can! To heck with reason!

/sarcasm

I don't know why we are developing it, but the American economy is heavily dependent upon War. And the paranoid schizophrenic military planners consider every possible war, even those that are the least likely in today's world. Did you know, after WWI, that military planners in both Britain and America thought the next great war would be between them, simply because they were the two greatest naval powers after the war? That war was actually considered eventual rather than being actively avoided. It reminds me of China and America right now, their economies are intertwined to an immense degree, the destruction of one would fatally wound the other, and yet their is still talk of war!!!! Everytime I meet a person who honestly thinks we should worry about the "threat" of China, I set them straight. ;)

Offline SmileyMan

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2006, 03:54:02 am »
America has no economy. If you had a picture of the economy in U.S.A., then the picture would show an endless hole. I've heard that U.S.A. loans around $1000 every second. :o

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2006, 04:12:44 am »
I know the US is losing money at a shocking amount, but I dont remeber the exact figure.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2006, 04:14:48 am »
But that doesnt mean their economy is bad. Theres a difference between economy and net wealth you know.

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
  • Do they speak English in What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2006, 04:31:01 am »
We're developing the laser for protection.  Infact we will, most likely, be selling them to our allies that need them: South Korea, Japan, and Israel.  

http://www.military.com/soldiertech/0,14632,Soldiertech_MTHEL,,00.html
http://www.spacewar.com/2004/040430132217.8rkxwv5q.html
http://www.spacewar.com/2005/050110072858.oorhm77h.html

I wish I could find some more recent/reliable links.  :-\

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/defense/1281536.html

Here a July 2006 Popularmechanics update:
http://www.popularmechanics.co.za/content/science/singlepage.asp?fid=258&pno=1

Or is this supposed to be the 747 mounted laser or the Humvee mounted laser?  We're designing so many.  ;)

Offline SmileyMan

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2006, 04:46:08 am »
But that doesnt mean their economy is bad. Theres a difference between economy and net wealth you know.

Maybe. But the money that U.S.A. loans will be claimed at some point, and then you're in deep poo.

Offline HolsteinCow

• Vanguard Venturer
  • NOT A TROLL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2006, 05:07:01 am »
The only reason why they're spending lots of money on laser weapons is because they haven't been introduced to my 'laser weapon' yet. 8)

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2006, 05:09:36 am »
Laser weapon technology is nothing new, it is only now that they have the power to take out targets reliably.

Initially the only really deployable lasers (1970s) were to designation targets for laser gilded bombs (like the Paveway), missiles (like the Hellfire and Maverick), and artillery shells (Copperhead).

Next up would be 'blinding' lasers. The US had developed modified Bradley fighting vehicles that would automatically target and firing a laser at enemy vehicles to blind the crews. Although they deployed during the 1991 Gulf War, they were not used. Russian tank crew would use their laser-range-finders to blind Afghan rebels in the 1980 Afghan campaign. More modern version use blinding lasers to blind the seekers of heat-seeking and optical missiles and are mounted in small turrets on the back of aircraft (Russian is believed to have mounted them on their warships). Some very-low power blinding lasers had been mounted on US soldiers rifles for urban combat to blind the enemy during firefights. Such blinding systems are wanted to defend airliners from shoulder-fired anti-aircraft missiles to defeat terrorist attacks.

'Weapons-grade' lasers have been a dream weapon for the last 30 years, but it looks like they are just about here. There was a NKC-135A Airborne Laser lab that shot down several air-to-air missiles and a target drone in the late70s through the 1980s. The YAL-1 is a modified 747 that will be able to shoot down missiles in the boost phase from 'several hundred kilometers away'. With North Korea's development of long-range missiles, this is being made to deal with a very real threat. However, such a powerful weapon I'm sure will find more uses than just 'boost-phase missiles'.

Israel and the USMC are working on the THEL laser. A weapon based on a desperate need to deal with ballistic rocket barrages like the kind that were fired during the 34-day conflict in southern Lebanon. Once completed, such systems will surely find their way on the warships, tanks, and military aircraft on most US and its Allies military forces.

As for the 'race' - the Star Wars project of the 1980s was part of the arms-race, and turned in to an economic battle thatpushed the USSR in to bankruptcy. Today's 'race' is to build defense systems that are fast, CHEAP, and reliable to deal with attacks by enemy forces that would use mass destruction over 'pin-point' attacks.

-Lego

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2006, 05:10:40 am »
Blinding weapons are forbidden by the geneva convention you know... but killing weapons arent... funny old world.

Offline p-luke

• Joust Warrior
  • The Atheist God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2006, 07:37:25 am »
I wonder if lasers could be made in such a way that they can destroy nukes when they are launched... that would keep everyone from launching them I guess  :P

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2006, 07:45:26 am »
Blinding weapons are forbidden by the geneva convention you know... but killing weapons arent... funny old world.

As of 1996 when ammended:

Protocol IV on Blinding Laser Weapons prohibits the use of laser weapons specifically designed, as their sole combat function or as one of their combat functions, to cause permanent blindness to unenhanced vision, that is to the naked eye or to the eye with corrective eyesight devices. The High Contracting Parties shall not transfer such weapons to any State or non-State entity.

Temporary blindness is permitted, the effect being similar to have a extremely bright spot-light shined in your face. I wouldn't want to place any bets on some poor soldier with 20x telescopic binoculars that gets hit however.

-Lego

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2006, 07:58:38 am »
Who cares?

LASERS!!!

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2006, 08:01:30 am »
Pyeow pyeow! Bzzzt!

They should build Nikola Tesla's death ray next :D

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2006, 08:46:32 am »
I'd rather see his wireless electricity transfer. Seems like a better gift to the world.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2006, 08:47:28 am »
Theres a danger of inadvertantly frying birds though... wouldnt you rather fry commies on purpose?  ;)

Offline Smem

• Mystery House Madman
  • British Waffle
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2006, 12:14:56 pm »
It reminds me of China and America right now, their economies are intertwined to an immense degree, the destruction of one would fatally wound the other, and yet their is still talk of war!!!! Everytime I meet a person who honestly thinks we should worry about the "threat" of China, I set them straight. ;)

Omg i know so many people who think china is going to attack america some time, muahaha now i can own them  ;D
Waffles own you: Dude you hate me ='(
Smem: i hate no one
Waffles own you: what about pigeons :p
Smem: pigeons arn't one they are many

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2006, 12:29:52 pm »
Theres a danger of inadvertantly frying birds though... wouldnt you rather fry commies on purpose?  ;)
Wheres Psammeticus when you need him?

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2006, 01:20:10 pm »
Obviously we're developing the lasers to put them on the frickin' moon.

Offline p-luke

• Joust Warrior
  • The Atheist God
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2006, 01:30:07 pm »
or.... to draw a smiley on it! Happy thoughts all night long!

Offline Chickenman297

• Scramble Skipper
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2006, 01:39:28 pm »
All's I wanted was a few fricken sharks with some fricken lasers on their heads :D
Book, book, book

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2006, 01:42:15 pm »
I will be first in line when they start selling lasers to the public.

There I called it.

Offline Chickenman297

• Scramble Skipper
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2006, 02:03:51 pm »
I will be first in line when they start selling lasers to the public.

There I called it.
They already do
http://www.onpointlasers.com/
Book, book, book

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2006, 02:22:48 pm »
Why are you so active all of the sudden?

Offline Aybraus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • aka VFX Watch aka Toothy aka Chris.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2006, 02:31:53 pm »
Laser weapons are for defensive purposes.  Our planet's roundness keeps us from using lasers on anything except for ICBMs and planes flying over our turf.

200th post.
I'm toothy22 on Steam. Someone needs to invite me into the GS clan!

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2006, 02:40:10 pm »
on a military stand point japan are nothing special,  America is the only country that can afford to develop these things and they are rushing like hell to get them done, why? who are they going to use these thingss against?

On the contrary, Japan is somewhat like Israel, they build new technologies and then sell them to us. Japan currently has the most modern navy in the world and is somewhat near the largest. Many people state that after WWII, the Japanese gave up their militaristic ways, but that is false.

/sarcasm

I don't know why we are developing it, but the American economy is heavily dependent upon War. And the paranoid schizophrenic military planners consider every possible war, even those that are the least likely in today's world. Did you know, after WWI, that military planners in both Britain and America thought the next great war would be between them, simply because they were the two greatest naval powers after the war? That war was actually considered eventual rather than being actively avoided. It reminds me of China and America right now, their economies are intertwined to an immense degree, the destruction of one would fatally wound the other, and yet their is still talk of war!!!! Everytime I meet a person who honestly thinks we should worry about the "threat" of China, I set them straight. ;)

After WWII the generals thought no such thing. Both the UK and the US knew that their alliance with the Soviet Union was one on the basis of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend". Several generals were actually calling for the US and UK to invade the USSR while they could (one of them was 5 star general Patton).
At this point America could pull out of China's economy and survive (the economy wouldn't fall as bad as some of you think), but since China is still developing it would scar and crush the Chinese economy.

The U.S. is developing laser technologies, but at this point they aren't usable. Lego stated that they shot down some low level targets, and while that did happen, it wasn't good enough for the US Military which led to pulling the plug on the project. Some new scientists are working on the laser although they aren't getting much funding. They can't produce the long steady stream of light energy that is needed, but instead are heading for the fast burst technique in which rapid shots are fired hoping to hit the ICBM's reentry container.

Offline SmileyMan

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2006, 03:45:38 pm »
on a military stand point japan are nothing special,  America is the only country that can afford to develop these things and they are rushing like hell to get them done, why? who are they going to use these thingss against?

On the contrary, Japan is somewhat like Israel, they build new technologies and then sell them to us. Japan currently has the most modern navy in the world and is somewhat near the largest. Many people state that after WWII, the Japanese gave up their militaristic ways, but that is false.

Their navy is probably made out of plastic, like everything else those Japs come up with.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2006, 04:07:19 pm »
No one buys your childish "I hate the japanese" crap.

Your so called 'opinions' sound like they were culled from a 20 year-old sitcom that got axed because of poor ratings. There, i said it.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2006, 04:09:40 pm »
Actually most of the Japanese navy is based on (or built by) the US Navy. They are as technologicaly advanced as the USA.

If anybody thinks that lasers are going to be defensive only in nature, they are not looking at the bigger picture. All you need to do is mount a high-power laser (already developed- YAL-1) and put it on an aircraft (already developed - YAL-1) and get within 150-300 miles of a target and you can fry it. A weapons system able to hit a target going 3000mph and accelrating and burn a hole in it also has great potential as an  general purpose weapon. Those of you that have seen the movie 'Real Genious' know what I'm taking about, those that haven't, rent it (one of Val Kilmer's best) and realize that a 1980's comedy is becoming today's reality.

A multishot laser that can hit pinpoint targets... cut down power lines, destroy planes on the ground, kill people in the open, down forieng leaders while they are on their personal aircraft, burn holes in fuel and gass lines to cause 'accidents'... you now are looking at nearly hte ultimate stealth weapon.

-Lego

Offline SmileyMan

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2006, 06:10:14 am »
No one buys your childish "I hate the japanese" crap.

Your so called 'opinions' sound like they were culled from a 20 year-old sitcom that got axed because of poor ratings. There, i said it.

O'reily? You can't ignore the truth about Japanese crap.

Offline p-luke

• Joust Warrior
  • The Atheist God
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2006, 06:22:15 am »
@ Legodragonxp

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2006, 12:17:01 pm »
Right idea, but on lighter-weight targets, and without the big fancy beam. More like a hot-spot , sparks, and smoke at the point of impact. Taking out tanks... not very likely in the near future.

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2006, 12:12:52 pm »
the earths roundness does not prevent these lasers being used for attacking, they can even be mounted on satelites, now what would happen if america launched one of those satelites? the rest of the world would be incredibly pissed off that america took it upon themselves to give them the power to instantly strike anywhere in the world.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 12:17:01 pm by Brutus »

Offline SmileyMan

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2006, 12:16:14 pm »
the earths roundness does not prevent these lasers being used for attacking, they can even be mounted on satelites, now what would happen if america launched one of thos satelites, the rest of the world would be incredibly pissed off that america took it upon themselves to give them the power to instantly strike anywhere in the world.

Nukes. And lots of them.

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2006, 12:20:01 pm »
thats one possibility but this kind of weapon could (if they were effective enough) make america immune to nuclear attack, now america would be the only country that would be immune to such an attack because other countries would have yet to steal/buy/develop their own weapons, so now america could launch a nuke with no fear of consequences and they would also be under pressure to use this ability in some way (wether through threats or actually doing it) before other countries bought/stole/developed these weapons.
that is a bad sign
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 12:25:40 pm by Brutus »

Offline p-luke

• Joust Warrior
  • The Atheist God
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2006, 12:28:05 pm »
Do you think America is the only country with scientists? I believe its germany who invented both the aircraft and the missile. Germany isnt that combat orientated anymore, because they now no that no good can come from war, but there are still some other countries then America who are highly war-orientated.

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2006, 12:55:50 pm »
the entire world is war orientated, 80% of the worlds scientists work for the military.

America is the only country that is researching these weapons

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2006, 12:57:56 pm »

/sarcasm

After WWII the generals thought no such thing. Both the UK and the US knew that their alliance with the Soviet Union was one on the basis of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend". Several generals were actually calling for the US and UK to invade the USSR while they could (one of them was 5 star general Patton).
At this point America could pull out of China's economy and survive (the economy wouldn't fall as bad as some of you think), but since China is still developing it would scar and crush the Chinese economy.

The U.S. is developing laser technologies, but at this point they aren't usable. Lego stated that they shot down some low level targets, and while that did happen, it wasn't good enough for the US Military which led to pulling the plug on the project. Some new scientists are working on the laser although they aren't getting much funding. They can't produce the long steady stream of light energy that is needed, but instead are heading for the fast burst technique in which rapid shots are fired hoping to hit the ICBM's reentry container.

That is correct, after WWII the the U.S and U.K wer best of friends. However, I was talking about the period of time after WWI also known as the Great War. At that point, Russia was in turmoil, and Germany suffering due to the overly harsh punishment imposed by the victorious. The U.S. and U.K. were at peace, but their military planners actually had military plans for "defensive purposes."

A war with China would jack up the price of nearly everything we in more developed countries today take for granted. Prices would go up and jobs opportunities and wages would become stagnant or shrink. Only some major companies would be able to survive such an event, and even then, they would have to scale back operations and relocate in some instances. And don't just localize the problem with China, any country that borders it will feel the effects, and suddenly a large portion of the world is suddenly not suitable for development due to localized warfare. Imagine the effect of the Middle East Tumoil effect on the price of their exports(the most famous of which: Oil). Now look at the products that China exports, in a war, all of those products would either cease production or become scarce. And the final thing the makes this even more foolish, China's army wouldn't just rollover like the latest few armies America has faced. It will be anything but a cakewalk, as an army of 2 million would not simply give up and go home.

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2006, 01:18:39 pm »
A war with China would jack up the price of nearly everything we in more developed countries today take for granted.

yeah i know, 80% of the worlds trowser zips come from china, somthing as simple as a stupid zip would become literally 30 times more expensive. look on the back or bottom of alot of the things in your house most of them will say "made in china" on them, particulally childrens toys.

the bottom/side/back of my phone, joystick,TV, Fridge and everything else says "made in china"

and i know this has nothing to do with anything but the joystick also said "patent pending".
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 01:22:18 pm by Brutus »

Offline SmileyMan

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2006, 01:30:04 pm »
The hardware in my computer does luckily say "Made in Taiwan"

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2006, 01:51:02 pm »
you didn't buy chinese?

get out of my sight!

;)

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2006, 02:47:40 pm »
Won't China's aspirations to become a world superpower ultimately lead to its downfall when its cheap labour force, its greatest strength, eventually becomes an expensive labour force like in Europe and America?

We're headed for an economic catastrophe. But will it happen before the oil runs out?

On topic: Wheee, lasers are cool! I suppose Bush thinks the same.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline The Terminator

• Kaboom Boomer!
  • I'll Be Back!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2006, 03:26:23 pm »
Who are they against? China, North Korea, Russia....What they don't know is that us Canadians have a master plan to conquer the world. Their laser weapons and nukes won't stand a chance against us! MOUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

The Giganommoths AKA THE OWNAGE!!!: http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=5817.0

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2006, 03:36:20 pm »
Do you think America is the only country with scientists? I believe its germany who invented both the aircraft and the missile. Germany isnt that combat orientated anymore, because they now no that no good can come from war, but there are still some other countries then America who are highly war-orientated.

*cough* Wright Bros. *cough*

There's an engineering company called Northrop Grumman that develops laser for the US. They came to our school for a presentation on engineering to us "honors" math students. A few students in my school have dads that help develop those laser even. Popular Mechanics is big on the Laser idea, and they print a whole bunch of articles about them. One of the working (or close to working) ones is basically a laser mounted on a swivel base mounted on a 747, which may or may not be what LegoDragon eluded to.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2006, 04:32:40 pm »
the earths roundness does not prevent these lasers being used for attacking, they can even be mounted on satelites, now what would happen if america launched one of those satelites? the rest of the world would be incredibly pissed off that america took it upon themselves to give them the power to instantly strike anywhere in the world.

The world might complain (it always does), but they wouldn't do anything about it. America had taken it upon itself to build nukes (which can strike anywhere in the world, ICBM). This is a defensive weapon, not offensive.
That is correct, after WWII the the U.S and U.K wer best of friends. However, I was talking about the period of time after WWI also known as the Great War. At that point, Russia was in turmoil, and Germany suffering due to the overly harsh punishment imposed by the victorious. The U.S. and U.K. were at peace, but their military planners actually had military plans for "defensive purposes."

A war with China would jack up the price of nearly everything we in more developed countries today take for granted. Prices would go up and jobs opportunities and wages would become stagnant or shrink. Only some major companies would be able to survive such an event, and even then, they would have to scale back operations and relocate in some instances. And don't just localize the problem with China, any country that borders it will feel the effects, and suddenly a large portion of the world is suddenly not suitable for development due to localized warfare. Imagine the effect of the Middle East Tumoil effect on the price of their exports(the most famous of which: Oil). Now look at the products that China exports, in a war, all of those products would either cease production or become scarce. And the final thing the makes this even more foolish, China's army wouldn't just rollover like the latest few armies America has faced. It will be anything but a cakewalk, as an army of 2 million would not simply give up and go home.
My mistake, although France and Japan were still in on the mix. France was leading the way in tank reasearch after WWI and they were also developing carriers. Japan was also developing carriers (strangely the British did not do this) and were expanding in China (Manchuria). This was a threat to the Asian part of the British Empire...
While a war with China would be bad, America would be able to pick up the slack. Prices would go up at first, but most likely fall back down. More jobs would be created (alot more jobs), lessening poverty. This would increase the American economy (we still have Europe to trade with too) and destroy the Chinese. After almost a year China would start to deteriote (trade embargos would most likely be placed) and the population would begin to starve. The economy would be in shambles (not ruins, they could produce alot of the things themselves). Overall a war with China would be tough, but they aren't too technologically advanced. They do have alot of men, but the war wouldn't be a land battle, but more of a water battle, which America would easily win.

Offline Chickenman297

• Scramble Skipper
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2006, 08:37:18 pm »

*cough* Wright Bros. *cough*
Actually I believe it was the French who built the first hot air balloon.  Germany just took the idea further with the blimp.  The Wright Brothers were the first to control all axes on an aircraft (I think, correct me if I am wrong)and they were the first to have powered flight without a balloon.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 08:39:31 pm by Chickenman297 »
Book, book, book

Offline Fade2gray

• Scramble Skipper
  • ...or just go bald
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2006, 11:33:12 pm »
From what I know the are currently two main designs for the lazier weapons. One is mounted on the nose of a large plane (I forget which plane). this one is designed to intercept and destroy ICBMs from phenomenal ranges. Essentially, it can destroy a freshly launched ICBM from the other side of an enemies border.
The second type is a ground based weapon being developed in conjunction with Israel. Its designed to take out short range missiles and rockets (mostly the kind that are often lobbed of Israel's borders, explaining Israel's involvement in it development).
I believe there may be a third design also in the works similar to the second with only real defense being that its designed to fit on a large vehicle.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2006, 02:15:13 pm »
Actually I believe it was the French who built the first hot air balloon.  Germany just took the idea further with the blimp.  The Wright Brothers were the first to control all axes on an aircraft (I think, correct me if I am wrong)and they were the first to have powered flight without a balloon.

Well, there was a king (forget who) who tied a bunch of birds to a chair that he sat on (it was ALOT of birds). He was able to make it off the ground, although he ended up dieing from that after some of the birds broke free or something like that.

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2006, 12:04:41 am »
Don't forget the old Chinese man who tied a hundred fireworks to a chair...

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2006, 02:12:47 am »
Or the guy that made himself wings... not Icharus, the real guy.

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2006, 07:59:42 am »
Or the guy that made himself wings... not Icharus, the real guy.

The Monk who subsequently died horribly?

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2006, 08:16:46 am »
a man put on a cape and jumped offf notradame, he survived and it was the earliest recorded "parachute"

although he did brake both his legs

there was also that evil king who made hundreds of his prisoners jump off high buildings while wearing crappy wings, every last one of them died, he thought that was most amusing

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2006, 09:00:57 am »
Wow....This Topic has covered:

zOMG lasers!>>> Bush Bashing>>> Militarism>>>Primitive Flying Devices>>>Kings making people jump off buildings for kicks.

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
  • Do they speak English in What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2006, 09:04:56 am »
I denounce Balthamael as a Nazi for the coup de grace!

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2006, 09:16:36 am »
Ve shall see you ist Ze Nazi here, Herr Slartibarfast,

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2006, 09:55:02 am »
Wow....This Topic has covered:

zOMG lasers!>>> Bush Bashing>>> Militarism>>>Primitive Flying Devices>>>Kings making people jump off buildings for kicks.

my topics are awsome!

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2006, 12:06:05 pm »
At least some extension of you is awesome.

It looked doubtful for a while there... but you did it!  :D

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2006, 01:58:54 am »
yay!  ;D

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2014, 10:55:58 am »
In light of recent forum activity, I feel we should reopen this rather important discussion.
I believe it was about how we have lasers or something?

If I may quote the relevant passages:

Who cares?

LASERS!!!

Pyeow pyeow! Bzzzt!

They should build Nikola Tesla's death ray next :D

Yes. Yes. Let us continue, then.
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master