Author Topic: New little tidbits of information  (Read 33037 times)

Offline Bios Revision

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia
Re: New little tibdits of information
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2005, 05:27:45 pm »
Could you link to the thread where you found this stuff?

Offline drgamer

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2005, 05:55:41 pm »
Someones bound to create something with treads, if it's avilable...
Of course it'd have to have some pretty long range weapons if it goes as slow as treads do now...

One is 'fake', the other is not, guess which!

Offline Zuul

• Atari Combat Vet
  • Touch fuzzy, get clubbed to death.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2005, 06:30:56 pm »
Could you link to the thread where you found this stuff?
Like the first post said, you need a paid account to read the forum or post there, but here you go: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1569329

A thought that was being thrown around in that thread after getting the reply about robots is if it is possible they potentially cause the problems they did in SimEarth. (It's been years since I played it, but one person said they could revolt against the sentient species in the game. I don't seem to remember that myself, but oh well)
Next 5 exits: The Edge of the Universe. Last stop for gas.

Offline Zoston

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2005, 07:12:40 pm »
A thought that was being thrown around in that thread after getting the reply about robots is if it is possible they potentially cause the problems they did in SimEarth. (It's been years since I played it, but one person said they could revolt against the sentient species in the game. I don't seem to remember that myself, but oh well)

I played it recently, and I remember the big problems with robots was that it was utterly impossible to get the buggers off your planet. Freeze the entire thing into a giant iceball? Nope, didn't work. Boil the entire planet till it looked like a popsicle in the sahara desert? Nope, they just suddendly started making millions on sunscreen. >_< Only way to get rid of them was to freeze/boil the planet, then let it go back to normal temparatures and repeatedly blast any robot colony with an asteroid whenever it showed up. .... It could take a while >_<

Offline Pinstar

• Ultima Lord
  • Your friendly neighborhood Teralyte
    • View Profile
    • The Legacy Challenge
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2005, 08:41:54 pm »
I bet robots don't care about the planet's T or B score... they could populate the most barren and hostile of worlds...
Creator of the Legacy Challenge

Visit my spore page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Pinstar
Ratings and comments on all my creatures are always welcome!

Visit my Minicity
http://pinstar.myminicity.com

Offline Dmd

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2005, 09:06:35 pm »
Do robots CARE?

Twiggs

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2005, 09:11:35 pm »
Only if they have an emotion chip installed, silly.

Offline Tarrasque

• Mystery House Madman
  • Freedom at last!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2005, 05:28:25 am »
I bet robots don't care about the planet's T or B score... they could populate the most barren and hostile of worlds...

And by doing that, you can have cheap outposts anywhere without lengthy terraforming. I guess that you can do mining (another incentive for expansion) and robots can do that. Maybe also weapons/vehicles production centers staffed with robots nearer to a border where you need them in order to colonize further and farther.
"I'm Jack's complete lack of surprise"

Offline ZerGoth

• Brain Games Mastermind
  • German fanboy ;D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2005, 06:12:22 am »
I wonder if you can make creatures half organic, half robot. Will doesn't state clearly that there will be cyborgs. He only says there will be robots.

Offline drgamer

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2005, 05:06:07 pm »
I wonder if you can make creatures half organic, half robot. Will doesn't state clearly that there will be cyborgs. He only says there will be robots.
Actually you can!
I don't think we are going to deal with things like bacterial infections in Spore.

On the other hand I do want robots. The current plan is to unlock robotic creature parts once you reach the UFO stage and then allow the player to create robots in the creature editor which can populate an environment just like creatures.

-Will
Unless it's in a seperate buider, You probabally can make Cyborgs!

One is 'fake', the other is not, guess which!

Offline Caltrop

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2005, 09:13:47 am »
Some folks in the games forum of http://forums.somethingawful.com were talking about Spore and three of them emailed Will with questions about the game and he actually replied:

What's Will's e-mail address?  ???
Spore RPG: http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=2069.0

STRAWBERRYCLOCK IS KING OF THE PORTAL

Offline Borogove

• Venture Conqueror
  • mimsy: adj. - flimsy and miserable :(
    • View Profile
    • Meyermike.com
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2005, 09:34:03 am »
I would guess that Will doesn't want the hassle of sorting through a hojillion emails from fans everyday.  The man's got work to do!
Use those talents you have. You will make it. You will give joy to the world. Take this tip from nature: The woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except those who sang best.
-- Bernard Meltzer

Check out my games:  http://www.meyermike.com

Offline Caltrop

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2005, 09:40:33 am »
I would guess that Will doesn't want the hassle of sorting through a hojillion emails from fans everyday. The man's got work to do!

mm... indeed.  :'(

See my 'Devread' post for a better idea then. :)
Spore RPG: http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=2069.0

STRAWBERRYCLOCK IS KING OF THE PORTAL

Offline Barrakuda

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
Re: New little tidbits of information
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2005, 01:53:50 pm »
Just 2 new e-mails

Brian,

>>Dear Will,

>>My world, in Spore, only has one creature that I created; every other creature will presumably be created by some other player. What will prevent me from travelling into space, visiting a planet created by another player, and discovering the same species that populated my world? The same buildings? What if that player downloaded my creature as a low level species and there are hundreds of them on this world? It would be kind of a letdown to finally get to travel into space and the first creature you encounter are the same creatures you've already seen on your own planet. This is further complicated by your procedural feedback system; the more popular an object; the more it shows up in peoples buy window; therefore it becomes more popular. If someone creates the absolute best monolith, and everyone uses it because its the best, theres a significantly higher chance that I'm going to travel halfway across the galaxy to discover the same monolith that I myself used.

>>I assume the database will be large enough to make this occurance a statistical anomaly (if i visited 100 planets and each of them had 1000 objects, that would still only be a fraction of the total database) but it would be nice to have some overlap protection (I will only download items that do not already exist in my galaxy, etc etc).

Since we control the injection of creatures into your ecosystem as well as the injection of planets into your local space we can easily prevent the "content collision" problem.

>>Also, when does the procedural decompression occur? After download, so each creature is stored on my hard drive as a 5 meg file? Will there be a "populating worlds" loading screen everytime i start up? Does it populate only when I'm focused on it? Given the size and price of hard drives today, I can see storing it as a 5 meg file being the cheapest option (slow game, small footprint vs fast game, large footprint. Hard drives are cheap, CPUs are expensive) but I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

We're currently planning to do most of the reconstituting of downloaded content while the player is in the editors (where we have a surplus of CPU).

>>How are you going to deal with copywrite issues? Givin the ultimate freedom to create what they want, many players will recreate their favorite universes to play in, much to the chagrin of the people who own that universe. The same goes for mature content as well, I wouldn't want to be that unsuspecting parent just as Johnny lands on planet Cocknballs.

As for the copywrite issues, we've had to deal with that already with all the content for The Sims. It basically comes down to giving anyone the ability to flag content they think is inappropriate for any reason.

-Will

Scott,

A few quick answers:

Will there be population dynamics such as predator/prey
population cycles?
Yes.

Will there be procedural evolution in
addition to drawing from the central databases?
Probably not, but we're going to give it a shot to see how far we get.

Will there be any sort of
gameplay in space along the lines of Space Empires or
Master of Orion?
Yes, federation, empire and alliance building.

Will there be an option to design space
stations, ringworlds, and/or Dysons spheres?
No.

Will there be
interstellar vehicles other than UFOs?
Not sure.

Will every game have the same universe, or will every
game have a random distribution of stars?
Every player's galaxy is different and tailored to how they're playing.

In the editor, how extensive will the library of
primitive shapes be?
Depends on the editor, about 200 shapes per editor.

Will it be possible to add third party primitives to the
editors library, or would it be too difficult to work in
with the central databases?
Probably not, they are quite complicated.

If third party primitives
arent tenable, will additional primitives be added via
patches at Maxis's discretion?
Probably.

Will the cellular world have any impact on the
macroscopic world?
Only in terms of changing your starting point when you enter the macroscopic evolution game.

Will there be any means to remove species from the game,
short of genocide?
It seems like removing them is the definition of genocide.

-Will

Offline Silver_Kiwi

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
Re: New little tidbits of information
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2005, 02:02:16 pm »
Nice find man!
Well, too bad about space stations... but it still seems they are debating multiple space vehicles!
haha, a glimmer of those in the 'more than one spaceship'-camp... ;)

Silver_Kiwi