Author Topic: lets talk abou the water phase shall we  (Read 16073 times)

Offline Protoavis

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
Re: lets talk abou the water phase shall we
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2006, 08:12:07 pm »
Why on earth would they enable the use of fins as arms, caudal leg-fins, and overall what clearly looks like a very aquatic skeleton? Seems very wasteful (resources) and misleading (to the convention-goers).

The whatsitinthewhoisitnow? Umm all those fins are the same part just scaled to different sizes, we are all aware we can scale the sizes of these things right? As for the skeleton and limbs...well you know the limbs dont come predetermined with attachments right? You just stick on whatever and ta da. The body shape doesn't even need explaining.
"Oh mummy, the bad man said bad things, please mummy...mummy" said the 20+ yr old man.

Offline google_video_fan

• Revenging Yar
  • The video that started it all...
    • View Profile
    • http://othersite.org
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2006, 08:25:58 pm »
I suppose i can't change your mind.

I'm not saying that Water Creatures will be in-game, but as the picture shows, at this point in the game, you can make them.

Why would they have water creatures if they don't have a water creature backdrop?
The game isn't complete. Think about it. When water creatures were in (last year), it was possible to make them in the creature editor. If they wanted to remove the feature from the game, they'd remove everything related to aquatic creatures, not just backdrops (the fins would be out too).

Why would Will Wright say 3 weeks ago that they may take out water creatures if they're obviously in?
Obviously in? Who said that? I said it was more likely that the backdrop is not complete.

Why haven't floods of reporters come back saying "Will was wrong, water creatures are in?"
If it's on the cusp of being taken out, it's most likely not complete. The press probably weren't able to creature aquatic creatures and test them in a real environment because that feature hadn't been implemented yet.

1) The point of the spore editor is to allow you freedom. Why wouldn't they let you do that?
2) Aquatic skeleton?
Why would they let you create creature components that you'll never be able to use? You can't mold body parts into components - they can only be altered in size - meaning they were created for a purpose.

As for the skeleton comment, I was suggesting that the creator of this creature molded the skeleton to the shape of an aquatic animal (manitee/sea-cow).

I'm not saying water creatures are in-game, I'm simply suggesting the possibility that you've overlooked a very valid point.

i'm a fan of the GDC 2005 Spore video on Google Videos...

http://othersite.org <- my site

Offline HolsteinCow

• Vanguard Venturer
  • NOT A TROLL
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2006, 09:30:32 pm »
They had better eliminate ALL traces of underwater life then; Remember the mistakes that Rockstar and Bethesda made?

Offline Malt

• Swordquest Superstar
  • Experience Dance Tonight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2006, 09:33:44 pm »
Let's NOT talk about underwater creatures. It will just turn into a flamefest, and is going to lower the morale here by another 3 notches on the Newbdon scale.

DISCUSSION OVER
DUDETHISISJUSTWRONGGOLOCKTHISTHREADMALT4MOD

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2006, 11:16:38 pm »
Oh still notice the "DISCUSSION OVER" is still there, in very very small font.

Offline Slith

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2006, 01:42:33 am »
Let's NOT talk about underwater creatures. It will just turn into a flamefest, and is going to lower the morale here by another 3 notches on the Newbdon scale.

DISCUSSION OVER

Merely because you're too willing to accept the chance of its removal without a fight. Let's face it guys; You would enjoy having the water stage in the game. There's no reason not to enjoy it. So why are people defending the removal of this? Here's some of the arguments I've been hearing:

"If they work on implementing the underwater stage, we might lose out on some other cool features!"
First of all, what other cool features? Other cool features they haven't talked about, perhaps.  But then, why would we miss these features if we never even heard of nor seen them?

"Working on the underwater stage is going to eat up too much development time and the team won't make their schedule."
Last I heard they were ahead of schedule. On top of that; Have patience young grasshopper.

"They're cutting it out of the game so an expansion pack can be made out of it, chock full of other neat features!"
As much as you'd like to believe the expansion is going to be full of neat features; it won't. It'll be exactly what got cut from the game - underwater civilizations and/or creatures. You'll also have to pay $40 dollars for what should have been in the game to begin with. I'd rather see an expansion with things we don't know about than one that we do.

Novel idea: Ask yourself if you want to see the underwater stage of the game. It's a simple yes/no.

If you answer with a yes, send an email to will wright, or EA or Maxis, and say something about it:
Dear Mr.Will Wright/Maxis/EA

There have been rumours circulating that the underwater stage of Spore is being cut, and this tears a deep hole in my heart. Please, would you reconsider this choice for a very dear fan of your game? It pains me to see such opportunity and gameplay lost. At least consider some of the cool things about this stage: [Insert reasons why you think the underwater stage is good. Maybe throw in some of your own ideas.]

Good luck and best wishes,
Slith

If you answer with a no, you could send an email to them about why you don't like the underwater stage. Criticize the idea, point out where you feel it's flawed. [But do it politely!]

Who knows? Maybe, juuuust maybe, someone will listen to you, to us. Certainly there is no harm in trying.

If you believe certain words, you believe their hidden arguments. When you believe something is right or wrong, true of false, you believe the assumptions in the words which express the arguments. Such assumptions are often full of holes, but remain most precious to the convinced.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2006, 03:05:00 am »
I'd add something to this, but I have a problem. I just dont know the answer.
WW said underwater civs are on the cusp of being cut out, but thats a very strange wording, and what you draw from it depends on how literally you take it. It was a passing comment, not a set-in-concrete statement of fact. Civs and creatures are different things, and "on the cusp" is very hazy. Whilst we havent seen any evidence of water creatures/civs being in from recent videos, we also have to remember that only the oldest of the videos show water creatures -at all-, and this water removal thing is more of a recent development.

Just like every other damned thing about this game, its a "wait and see" I suppose.

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2006, 06:48:32 am »
Okay, again, he never mentioned "civs". That was made up right here when people started saying "lol guys relax, he probably just meant civs", and before long, people had changed what they'd read to "underwater civs are on the cusp". He could have meant creatures OR civs, it was never specified.

As for the skeleton comment, I was suggesting that the creator of this creature molded the skeleton to the shape of an aquatic animal (manitee/sea-cow).
Except that the only "skeleton" you have to work with in the editor is the spine, which as we've seen, can be molded however you wish. Would you expect Maxis to place limitations on what can be done with the spine just to make it clear that, hey guess what, you can't make underwater creatures?

As for the fins not being taken out, those are just cosmetic parts now. The blue lizards in the demo even have them, and they appear under the decorative extras menu of the editor.

Offline dvalladt

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2006, 07:03:11 am »
3.its in the cool little start up clip on spore.com

In the official SimCity4 trailer, the one they did when they were about to release the final game, there were cool avenues, wich weren't in the final game. I remember that the trailer made a lot of people assume that they actually were. They were finally added with the "Rush Hour" expansion.

Offline Duke Rajko

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2006, 07:18:48 am »
Here is will's original quote;

IGN: We've heard players might be able to create underwater creatures.

Will Wright: That's actually one of those aspects of the game that's right on the cusp of being cutout. We'll have to see if it makes it in. You start out underwater, at the molecular level, so it's just a matter of whether or not you're forced out and onto land.

Incase anyone missed it.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2006, 07:29:28 am »
Words

We're not trying to rationalize or anything that Maxis should take it out. I'd prefer if they keep it, but I'm being realistic. Will Wright said they're on the cusp of it being taken out. I'm not going to get my hopes up, buy the game in 8 months or a year, see that there's no water creatures and smash the game with a hammer because I'm so upset. I'll see that there's no water creatures and say "meh." Or, if there are water creatures, I'll get it and say "awesome."

So again, I wish that they keep underwater civs (and subsequently creatures), I really do. What I don't want is for the spore fanbase to get all kinds of pissy when features that weren't expected to be in, aren't in.

EDIT:
Okay, those are definately fishy parts.  :P

http://www.sporeonline.de/screenshots/images/Photo-0260.jpg

no it are wings :P

No, they are decorations. During the GC they neither worked as wings nor as fins.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 07:43:50 am by 762 »

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Malt

• Swordquest Superstar
  • Experience Dance Tonight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2006, 08:08:38 am »

Oh come'on! Papa needs a new pair of shoes, so show me the money!! No whammies! No whammies!!!!!
DUDETHISISJUSTWRONGGOLOCKTHISTHREADMALT4MOD

Offline Full_Metal

• Adventure Ace
    • View Profile
    • Vector Hates You All!
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2006, 09:32:33 am »
While I can't blame anyone for speculating (that is the bread and butter of a forum like this) it's crazy to get all worked up over a vague statement in just one interview. "on the cusp" is pretty vague. whenever WW figures out whether or not he's cutting underwater creatures then we'll get an answer but right now I take it he's notá sure himself.

As for the pic in question, fins don't necessarily mean land creature. Remember this?
http://media.pc.gamespy.com/media/735/735340/img_3595229.html

Offline Nazzul

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2006, 09:50:11 am »
vague statements= Undeniable proof.

Offline HolsteinCow

• Vanguard Venturer
  • NOT A TROLL
    • View Profile