Author Topic: American accents in RPGs suck  (Read 8321 times)

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
Re: American accents in RPGs suck
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2006, 08:02:45 am »
Why do all archaic civilizations have British accents? According to Hollywood, Rome did, Greece did, all European civilizations before 1600 did. I don't think it's annoying, I just think it's a tit odd.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2006, 08:18:42 am »
Its because English sounds classy.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2006, 08:52:05 am »
Uh. Its not even just RPGs... the voices in Soul Calibur 2 were appaling too. Was Ivy supposed to be english?
Yeah, she was. But I can't believe you're complaining about her when Raphael was supposed to be French.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2006, 09:07:53 am »
No-one in that game sounded like they were supposed to. The greek chicks, the spanish pirate, all of them terrible.

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2006, 09:25:58 am »
Neverwinter Nights (the first one) was absolutley diabolical for americans in medieval settings. Hellooooo, modern americans didnt EXIST in medieval times...

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2006, 09:57:05 am »
Niether did magic and dragons. Welcome to the wonderful world of fantasy. Don't like it? Go build your own world.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2006, 09:59:57 am »
I assume this is mostly a Japanese games problem. Since I haven't really noticed this.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline Devoid

• Qix Crazy
  • Join the resistance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2006, 11:31:19 am »
I don't think I've ever heard any American accent in a medieval game besides the standard Midwestern one that most people have. That's how I talk, so maybe it's why I don't notice. Infact, the only thing I ever think if I hear a British accent is "Oh, I bet this was made by a British company." I really couldn't care less about what accent they have. Good voice acting is good voice acting.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2006, 09:25:27 pm »
No-one in that game sounded like they were supposed to. The greek chicks, the spanish pirate, all of them terrible.

Link rocked though "Hhhaarr, He-Yaaah!"

Offline Talkc

• Star Castle Cadet
  • Oh YEAAAAAAAH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2006, 06:07:06 pm »
I think the American voice actors thing is a bad thing for a lot of medievil rpgs, but something that bothered me was the accents in Half-Life 2. Its the only real problem I had with it. Everyone in City 17 is supposed to be in the middle of western Europe. A lot of people there are relocated Americans, yes, but shouldnt there have been at least one or two people who were native? Did the Combine just erradicate the western europeans? Or were they relocated to America? It leaves me very confused.

I will never hear about someone complaining about Bronx accents in Max Payne. And considering it was a finnish developer they did a damn fine job with the voice acting. Even though some of it was funny as hell. At least they got the Russian ( Vlad Lem ) with the proper accent. Shooters always seem to get accents right. Except for Half-Life 2.

Try the voice acting in Phantom Dust sometime. Bad jobs by Americans in a futuristic setting. And such a fantastic game too.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 06:08:54 pm by Talkc »

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2006, 08:56:51 pm »
Can I through Perfect Darks voice acting in to play as that was funny bad I'm not sure what it was for PD0 although I hear it isn't that good me and my friends spent much time quoting some classic lines from that. Trent Eastons's Jack Nickelson is classic.

"No! we just underestimated his resolve we have a contingency plan ready to go as soon as the presidential entourage arrives at the air base."

Offline shadowlord18

• Super Mario Bro.
  • *hug* here you go be well my friend.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2006, 09:14:57 pm »
also any one that is meant to be amricain sounds like an australian weird huh
Life is not measured by the amount of times you fall down but by the number of times you get back up again.

Offline Devoid

• Qix Crazy
  • Join the resistance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2006, 09:59:00 pm »
I think the American voice actors thing is a bad thing for a lot of medievil rpgs, but something that bothered me was the accents in Half-Life 2. Its the only real problem I had with it. Everyone in City 17 is supposed to be in the middle of western Europe. A lot of people there are relocated Americans, yes, but shouldnt there have been at least one or two people who were native? Did the Combine just erradicate the western europeans? Or were they relocated to America? It leaves me very confused.

I will never hear about someone complaining about Bronx accents in Max Payne. And considering it was a finnish developer they did a damn fine job with the voice acting. Even though some of it was funny as hell. At least they got the Russian ( Vlad Lem ) with the proper accent. Shooters always seem to get accents right. Except for Half-Life 2.

Try the voice acting in Phantom Dust sometime. Bad jobs by Americans in a futuristic setting. And such a fantastic game too.

If you play through Episode 1 with commentary mode on, they address the setting. It's not set in Eastern Europe. Do you really think the combine would relocate people from New Mexico (Black Mesa's original location) to Eastern Europe just for kicks? They created a unique setting with an Eastern European feel to it, but it is in no way set in Eastern Europe.

Offline Talkc

• Star Castle Cadet
  • Oh YEAAAAAAAH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2006, 10:05:48 pm »

If you play through Episode 1 with commentary mode on, they address the setting. It's not set in Eastern Europe. Do you really think the combine would relocate people from New Mexico (Black Mesa's original location) to Eastern Europe just for kicks? They created a unique setting with an Eastern European feel to it, but it is in no way set in Eastern Europe.

You know I have been meaning to get around to the devs commentary in Episode One. Just havent done it. I just remember back in the day all the gaming mags stated that City 17 was located somewhere in Eastern Europe or at least had that feel to it.

Now I just HAVE to hear the devs commentary.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2006, 02:52:03 am »

Not all the native Europeans were killed:

"Here, take this RPG launcher. I'm going to hide here hwhile you take down the gunship!"
and
"Heh heh heheheheh aha aha ahahahahahahahahahahAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!" <cocks rifle>