Author Topic: Currently Playing  (Read 4366 times)

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
Currently Playing
« on: September 01, 2006, 04:16:23 pm »
Basic premise of this thread is to give everyone somewhere to post what he or she is playing right now. Please tell what system it's for, what your basic impressions of it are (or a detailed review if you like), post video, screenshots, etc. Provide any information you feel is helpful and/or interesting for conversation at your leisure.

NOTE: Please don't say, "I'm playing Bulletproof -- it suxxors" without explaining why. Framerate, graphics, controls, story, music, etc. Give some information as to what it is about the game that you do or do not like, so we can properly talk about it.

Currenly playing:

PC
City of Heroes -- I have about 37 characters on this game and I never tire of making more, because the Character Creation system is still that friggin' good. WoW could learn a lot from that thing and how much it helps you connect to the character you're playing as. My favorite server thus far is Guardian [American], my favorite archetype to play as is Controller. [My least favorite archetype is tanker.] Though it lacks the depth of WoW or FF XI, CoH has one major advantage over those two for me: It's fun. Consistently fun. The powers are fun to watch and dishing out punishment on a supergroup scale is pretty untold awesome. If you like MMOs and haven't tried it, it's worth checking out.

PS2
Shadow of the Colossus (again) -- I have beaten this game maybe a dozen times now; I cannot stop myself. My proclaimed 'Best Game of Last Generation,' SotC stands heads and shoulders above everything else out there. The story is mostly implied, but something about going through the entire game with the main character (named 'Wander') makes you connect with him and his journey so much more than anything I've experienced yet in a game. The graphics are grainy but do such an immensely wonderful job of showcasing the size and diversity of the world and the immensity of the colossi (your only adversaries) that you won't care if they aren't perfect. Features what might be the greatest collision detection ever in a game; the programming of this thing must have been excruciating considering all the PS2's limitations. The camera system is a bit wonky at first but you will get used to it if you give the game a chance. Play through to the 4th colossi and I guarantee you'll be hooked; that seems to be true of everyone I know that's played it, including myself. I love this game. It is remarkable in every possible way.

Dead Rising -- Fun. Mindless, slightly repetitive fun. The game's selling point? You run around, you kill zombies, and you get to do it with practically anything at your disposal. I'm not going to go into too much detail with this one, since c14dude's thread is enough, but if he (or you) would like to post a more thorough review please do so.

GBA
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance -- Yeah, I've gone back to this one. Not as good as the original in a lot of ways, it still adds a lot that is nice. There are more classes and a touch more freedom in certain ways. Some people have griped that it lifted FF IX's Learn system, but that never bothered me and I think it works better like this. The Mission system is also a great addition since it provides such great rewards. The Judges are a love 'em or hate 'em type addition, but I think it's fun to use them against the enemy rather than get riled up when they outlaw my favorite kill-thing. It's just a great game that eats a lot of time if you want it to, that offers a lot of depth and strategy (though not on par with Advance Wars or a Fire Emblem game).

And that's it. I'm done for now. [And yes, people, don't be surprised if entries in this thread are long. Some of us play many games at once. And I'd love to have this topic stickied, for the ease it would allow in always having access to it and not having too many new threads made to talk about a new game someone is playing. But I don't think that's up to me.]

Offline jedi55555

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: Currently Playing
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 04:43:54 pm »
Only Playing 2 consoles right now and casual games, I am between games right now.

Xbox 360
Texas Hold 'em - Honestly I am not very good at this but I love the interaction with other people and can just casually pass the time.  Also , every time I feel the need to play some poker there are people to play with.  I am sure that this is not the best Poker video game but it is the only one I have ever played and I got it for free.  But I don't know if I would buy it for $10.

UNO - Ok, everyone shoule know what UNO is and I have been playing it again for the same reason as Texas Hold 'em and also the camera is already active on UNO (it's not avaliable on Texas Hold 'en yet).  UNO also has a large amount customizable game options so if you play with your own house rules on UNO you probably still can on the 360. Also as crazy as it seems UNO costs $5 which is cheaper than the actual card game (saw it today at Eckerd for $6.99). 

Nintendo DS
Brain Age - I have to admit the novelty of Brain Age wore off in about a month.  What I play is Sudoku on the game.  I have become addicted.  If anyone doesn't know what Sudoku is, I do not know if can explain it and do it justice. But, having the touch screen interface made inputting the numbers in very easy and intuative.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 04:50:56 pm »
Only Playing 2 consoles right now and casual games, I am between games right now.

Xbox 360
Texas Hold 'em - Honestly I am not very good at this but I love the interaction with other people and can just casually pass the time.  Also , every time I feel the need to play some poker there are people to play with.  I am sure that this is not the best Poker video game but it is the only one I have ever played and I got it for free.  But I don't know if I would buy it for $10.

How good are the customization options on this one? I'm mostly interested in how aggressive the blinds can be set, or can they be set?

Nintendo DS
Brain Age - I have to admit the novelty of Brain Age wore off in about a month.  What I play is Sudoku on the game.  I have become addicted.  If anyone doesn't know what Sudoku is, I do not know if can explain it and do it justice. But, having the touch screen interface made inputting the numbers in very easy and intuative.

I'm actually still playing Brain Age. Or rather, training on it. I don't know. I got into a routine after the 1st month and have just kept it up.

Offline DMB

• Venture Conqueror
  • Braaiiiiinnnsss and cake!
    • View Profile
    • BobtheZombie's Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 04:58:27 pm »
PC

Halo demo - I play it almost every day and it gets so addicting what you can do in the game.

Albatross 18 - Actually, I played this a few times and tried several times after that to get it working but it keeps freezing.

PS2- Most recent I've been playing is Shadow of the Colossus which as of now my new goal of the game is to beat hard time attack.

Save Ferris. Save the World.
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."Bob's Blog

Offline jedi55555

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 05:06:59 pm »

Xbox 360

How good are the customization options on this one? I'm mostly interested in how aggressive the blinds can be set, or can they be set?

Lets see.  You can set the Limit to : Limit, No Limit, or Pot-Limit.  The binds can be set to $2/$4 up to $100/200.  And the players are  can be set up to 8. 

Also, you have a consistant bankroll when you start out.  Your single player bankroll starts at $2000.  Online your Tournament barkroll is $2000 also.  You online player match bankroll syats at over $20,000.  Once you lose that money you have to play the free sponsored tournaments to build up your bankroll back up.  The online tournoments can get expensive also.  I believe they go up $500,000 for the buy in with a $2,000,000 first place prize.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 05:11:21 pm »
Lets see.  You can set the Limit to : Limit, No Limit, or Pot-Limit.  The binds can be set to $2/$4 up to $100/200.  And the players are  can be set up to 8. 

Also, you have a consistant bankroll when you start out.  Your single player bankroll starts at $2000.  Online your Tournament barkroll is $2000 also.  You online player match bankroll syats at over $20,000.  Once you lose that money you have to play the free sponsored tournaments to build up your bankroll back up.  The online tournoments can get expensive also.  I believe they go up $500,000 for the buy in with a $2,000,000 first place prize.

Nice. Might have to give this a try next time I have the chance. I love playing that game in person, so it might be interesting to see how it's handled in an electronic format.

c14dude

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 05:56:45 pm »
PC

Company Of Heroes beta -
This Game Single handedly got be back in to RTS games, its that good.

Call Of Juarez Demo -
Awsome online mode, plays just like a western should

Trilibys notes -
creepy creepy game......love it!

Xbox 360

Saints Row -
best game on the 360 as far as i'm concerned

Enchanted Arm -
i'm still just getting in to it, the story is do-able though so far.

Dead Rising -

this game is cooling off for me now, but its still loads of fun.

Offline Talkc

• Star Castle Cadet
  • Oh YEAAAAAAAH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2006, 07:41:26 pm »
Fable : The Lost Chapters ( PC )

I am going back to Fable on a different system from the Xbox this time. I enjoy it a lot and it is indeed improved from the original, but the control scheme for PC leaves a lot to be desired. I should have just started out with a controller but instead I have sort of gotten used to the default controls.

Oh and it is definetly fun killing balverines again. Balverine killing for the win.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2006, 12:17:10 am »
PC:  Neverwinter Nights

I bought this way back, but never really got into it.  After having played the KOTOR games, Baldurs Gate, Planescape Torment, etc, I've been enjoying it a lot more.  I guess it's something I just didn't appreciate when I was younger.  I'm a level 16 Paladin, and I've just started the Shadows of Undrentide.  Trying to decide weather or not I should dual class as a Champion of Torm.  My only realy problem with the game is the henchmen are a little plain.  In the other DnD games you usualy get to travel with a lot of companions with pretty interesting backstories, but in NWN, you only get the one henchmen, and so far, I hate all of them.

The recent patch made the capes/cloaks visible though, which is pretty cool, because that's something that bothered me even when I first got the game.

Neverwinter Nights 2 is out soon, and I'd like to finish it before that comes out, even though they have little to no connection.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2006, 05:16:29 am »
man neverwinter nights has such a good story....and i know the henchman suck but in shadow of undrentide you get to talk to the goblins which makes it up for the hench :P . and in hordes of the underdark they are MUCH better henchman...they have inventory and al that stuff

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2006, 11:32:06 am »
PC

Company Of Heroes beta -
This Game Single handedly got be back in to RTS games, its that good.

How does it differ from other RTSs, or does it?

Call Of Juarez Demo -
Awsome online mode, plays just like a western should

Could you give just a short blurb for what this game is all about? I'm intrigued by the 'western' reference.

Xbox 360

Saints Row -
best game on the 360 as far as i'm concerned

What's been your favorite experience so far on it? I remember with GTA III having one singular moment where I realized that I loved that game, and I'm wondering if you had a moment like that with this one.

Quote from: Talkc

I am going back to Fable on a different system from the Xbox this time. I enjoy it a lot and it is indeed improved from the original, but the control scheme for PC leaves a lot to be desired. I should have just started out with a controller but instead I have sort of gotten used to the default controls.

Wow. This is the first time I've heard a disparaging remark regarding controls on a PC. Is the gamepad really that much better? I've played it on X-Box but not PC, so I'm curious.

And, Winter: I can't say I ever had much interest in NWN, but then I didn't care for the Baldur's Gate games. KOTOR was pretty good though. I've just had a love/hate relationship with Bioware's DnD stuff, so I was a bit put off on it. Do you think it's worth the time to really try out? I've got an awful lot of gaming on my plate, now that Disgaea 2 and Star Fox for the DS are out.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2006, 11:34:17 am »
Freelancer (PC)- After seeing Pat's topic about this game, I really wanted to give it a go. I got it, and it is amazing. I have been looking for this type of game for a very long time. I am having a blast, and am hoping that ater learning a bit more about the game through the single player, I can hop online with you guys.

Resident Evil 4 (GameCube)- Great game. I'm still not to far, but the game has managed to make me jump more than a few times!

The Sims 2 (PC)- After 2 years, I still love this game. I have the Business expansion, and my culinary-inclined sim just purchased his own business, and I'm now trying to make it into a successful bakery.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2006, 11:52:48 am »
And, Winter: I can't say I ever had much interest in NWN, but then I didn't care for the Baldur's Gate games. KOTOR was pretty good though. I've just had a love/hate relationship with Bioware's DnD stuff, so I was a bit put off on it. Do you think it's worth the time to really try out? I've got an awful lot of gaming on my plate, now that Disgaea 2 and Star Fox for the DS are out.

If you didn't much like Bioware's other DnD games, then I probably wouldn't bother with it.  The single player is a little weak, but it's the multiplayer that really drew me to it.  The entire game can be played through with a few friends, which always makes things more interesting, and there are still loads of people playing it online, even today.  Also, it has the editor, similiar to Morrowinds, so you can make your own adventures to play through, or just download other peoples.

If anything though, I'd recommend waiting for Neverwinter Nights 2.  It seems to be improving on a lot of the complaints the first game got, and the collectors edition actually comes with the original Neverwinter Nights, plus both its expansions.

http://play.com/Games/PC/4-/1121292/Neverwinter_Nights_2_Lawful_Good_Collector_Edition/Product.html

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2006, 12:03:58 pm »
Thanks, Winter, I'll consider NWN 2 then. What's odd is: I'm very familiar with tabletop RPGs, as I've been GM'ing them for years -- but the DnD universe hasn't really done anything for me. So I guess it's a mixture of no real connection to the subject matter on top of not really enjoying the gameplay style used in the Baldur's Gate games. I loved the idea of creating campaigns for the game, but yeah, I'll wait till the sequel to give it a go.

Appreciate the info.

Offline Talkc

• Star Castle Cadet
  • Oh YEAAAAAAAH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2006, 12:31:33 pm »
Quote from: Talkc

Wow. This is the first time I've heard a disparaging remark regarding controls on a PC. Is the gamepad really that much better? I've played it on X-Box but not PC, so I'm curious.

Well in Fable, the controls are very much timing and reaction based. You have your main attacks, block, and dodge on the ABYX buttons. And then you pull the right trigger to bring up your spells list. On the Xbox it was all quite intuitive. On pc, just managing the Main attacks block and dodge without a 5 button mouse is a little tough ( I DO have a 5 button thankfully ) . Plus then there is choosing between spells, and the targeting system isnt as camera friendly in Fable Pc. With you moving the camera a lot more the lockon puts you at odd angles so dodging becomes a little tougher to nail down.

It is still a great game, but I am thinking I should have gotten Lost Chapters for Xbox. Looks astounding on PC though. Especially when you get your character drunk. The visual effect is much better on PC.