Author Topic: Internet Connectivity  (Read 10825 times)

Offline SpecialBrownies

• Donkey Kong King
  • They look so special!
    • View Profile
Internet Connectivity
« on: March 18, 2005, 01:52:48 pm »
The computer that I play games on isn't connected to the internet, and I was wondering if you have to be connected to the internet to play. I can't install it on this computer because it sucks and my parents don't like me playing games on it. So can you guys give me some insight.

"If you put an infinite amount of monkeys in a room with computers, they would code Spore."

-SpecialBrownies

Offline Zefrid

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
Re: Internet Connectivity
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 01:59:13 pm »
What game?
Got Gaming Steve forum membership?

Offline SpecialBrownies

• Donkey Kong King
  • They look so special!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 02:00:08 pm »
hmmmmmmm, we're on the spore board....... i dont know what game
"If you put an infinite amount of monkeys in a room with computers, they would code Spore."

-SpecialBrownies

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 02:04:20 pm »
We don't know how Spore will work yet Brownies. You might need to be connected to the Internet in order to play ... or you might not. Nobody knows yet, but it does appear that in order to fully experience the game you will need an Internet connection.

Also Brownies please don't be rude. Zefrid's post was legitimate since your post implied that you were trying to install a game which has already been released.
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline SpecialBrownies

• Donkey Kong King
  • They look so special!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 02:05:27 pm »
ok. and sorry for being rude

-SpecialBrownies

Offline Harlander

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2005, 02:07:18 pm »
I think it was mentioned on the podcast that, although you could play Spore without ever connecting to the Internet, you wouldn't be able to gain access to other players' content. It was reasoned that it'd be much like the Sims in this respect. I don't know if that was 'straight from the horse's mouth', so to speak, or just speculation, however.

Perhaps other methods of delivering custom content would be employed, such as putting a large clump of collated user data on magazine cover-disks. Given the small size of the data, it could even be put on something as small as a floppy. Perhaps a facility where players could backup all their data onto external storage, then share it with their compatriots not fortunate enough to have internet access, could be created.

Hopefully, it won't use a Steam-esque "internet activation" method.

Well, that's my initial thoughts on the subject, anyhow.
This is a public service announcement.

Lose: (v. intr) to fail to retain, preserve, maintain, sth.; to be defeated
Loose: (adj.) not firm, taut or rigid; free (v. intr) to make loose, undo

"If the guy-ropes are loose we'll lose the sail."
"Let loose the dogs of war! We will not lose!"
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous, got me?"

Offline Zefrid

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2005, 02:11:47 pm »
Well they pretty much covered what I was going to say with your question. :)

Offline craigp

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
    • Perkwiki
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2005, 02:13:24 pm »
He implied several times that you didn't need the internet to play, even going so far as to say, "we can include tens of thousands of creatures on the CD for people who don't have internet access".

Because each creature is apparently ~1k, you can fit 1000+ of them on a floppy disk!

-Craig

Offline Zefrid

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2005, 02:19:03 pm »
Do you guys think you can have more than 2 differen't races on one planet?

Offline craigp

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
    • Perkwiki
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2005, 02:23:40 pm »
Do you guys think you can have more than 2 differen't races on one planet?
Presumably you mean SENTIENT races, and I don't think we know the answer to that one. I only ever saw ONE sentient race: the race he created ALSO inhabited the other city, it just had a different culture.

-Craig

Offline Zefrid

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2005, 02:26:05 pm »
Know what I mean is in the demo thing it showed two races. The one Will Wright was playing with and the other that came to destroy him. My question was do you think the computer will play more than just one race. Forgive my wording.

Offline craigp

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
    • Perkwiki
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2005, 02:27:51 pm »
Ah. Good question, then. I have no idea, but since he talked about 'military, economic, or cultural domination', I would think it plausible.

-Craig

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2005, 02:29:30 pm »
He implied several times that you didn't need the internet to play, even going so far as to say, "we can include tens of thousands of creatures on the CD for people who don't have internet access".

Oh yeah, forgot about that. Thanks for joining up craig, it's nice to have someone else on who was also at the talk who can catch the bits and pieces that I forgot (and I even have 10 pages of notes from the talk).

I wonder if Will's talk is going to be released when you're given the option to purchase the lectures from the GDC. Probably not since EA blocked the rebroadcast of the talk during the conference itself. :-[
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline Jayce

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2005, 02:52:31 pm »

Oh yeah, forgot about that. Thanks for joining up craig, it's nice to have someone else on who was also at the talk who can catch the bits and pieces that I forgot (and I even have 10 pages of notes from the talk).

I wonder if Will's talk is going to be released when you're given the option to purchase the lectures from the GDC. Probably not since EA blocked the rebroadcast of the talk during the conference itself. :-[

You don't think Will said more then he was supposed to do you?  ;)

I know companies can be very sensative and secrative aboutt heir games these days but it's info like this that makes communities  (like this one) spring up and gets discussions going and ideas (that Will and EA could realistically use) talked about.Maybe Will will sign up here soon and join in  ;D

Offline happydan20

• Venture Conqueror
  • Discovered the "everything syndrome."
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2005, 02:59:36 pm »
You know I imagined a connection fully automated by the server...  But craigs points about how the sims work really makes me think.  Players really could create there own booster packs that could fit on a floppy disk and distribute them.

That souds great to me...  There are plenty of people out there more creative then I that could created a thememd universe for me to enjoy:)
I survived the flood of 2008 and all I got was this crappy homelessness.