Poll

What do you think about expansion packs.

Love them, keep them coming. I'll buy them all.
11 (11.5%)
They are nice, as long as the add to the game I buy them.
49 (51%)
Don't really care about them, but I do buy some.
11 (11.5%)
Only if it has features I really wanted in the original game. Don't care for the rest.
16 (16.7%)
Don't buy them. They should put the stuff in the original game already, even if it takes a gazillion years to complete the game.
9 (9.4%)
I never buy expansion packs ever. Not that I dont like them, but because I don't need them.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 96

Author Topic: Expansion pack poll  (Read 6180 times)

Offline DoggySpew

• Scramble Skipper
    • View Profile
Expansion pack poll
« on: August 29, 2006, 09:20:09 am »
Well, this is quite an open question (Could've given them to any game) but I would like to know how people stand for Expansion packs.
But I would say as long as expansion packs add to the game, I will buy them.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 09:23:02 am by DoggySpew »

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/DoggySpew

7 Gold, 5 Silver, 4 Bronze on the Olympics.

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
Re: Expansion pack poll
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 09:26:00 am »
I don't have a problem with them, unless they were to simply hack off things that were meant to be in the game to begin with for the sake of throwing those things into expansions.

Offline google_video_fan

• Revenging Yar
  • The video that started it all...
    • View Profile
    • http://othersite.org
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 09:35:09 am »
hmm... i like how this poll is extremely slanted towards buying expansions.

i'm a fan of the GDC 2005 Spore video on Google Videos...

http://othersite.org <- my site

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 11:17:40 am »
What are you talking about?! ???
Don't buy them. They should put the stuff in the original game already, even if it takes a gazillion years to complete the game.

Offline Name Lips

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 11:39:43 am »
There are several different options and reasons for buying them. But only one option for not buying them, and it presumes one particular reason.

Offline Eöl

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 12:06:31 pm »
Well, why not?

"They are nice, as long as the add to the game I buy them." That sounds pretty good to me...
In my opinion this is an extremely broad definition really.
Perhaps a better poll would be:

I want expansion to...
 Add more realism! I want armies, organs, big cities and super novas etc. The works!
 Just give me more stuff to play with and some clothes wouldn't hurt.
 Finish the game. I'm bored of waiting for spore just give me what you've done and I'll pay for the rest.
 Not to have existed in the first place they should be include everything in the original game.
 Not exist in the first place, I want Sim Everything and I'm willing to wait until 2008 or whenever to get it.
 umm... I don't really care to be honest. It depends on how I feel about the game in the end.

I dunno, what do you think?

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 12:13:15 pm »
There are several different options and reasons for buying them. But only one option for not buying them, and it presumes one particular reason.
...and one which is deliberately made to sound unreasonable.

I was being ironical.  :P

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 04:57:05 pm »
Some expansions are realy good, like Warcraft III: Frozen Throne, Diablo 2: LOD, Age of Empires expansions, Never Winter Nights expansions, Civ IV: Rome, and  Doom 3: Resurection of Evil. Alota Expansions for games add heaps more content. BUT sims, they add in 1 little feature and make an expansion, then they add another feature in another expansion, then another little feature in another expansion. I'll only buy 1 expansion for Spore if it does that.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006, 06:38:40 pm »
BUT sims, they add in 1 little feature and make an expansion, then they add another feature in another expansion, then another little feature in another expansion.

And yet we're all suckers for them. ;D

I actually enjoy all of the Sims expansions. The only ones I haven't bought are the "Stuff" packs. Though I may get the Glamour one....my rich sim family needs some money to burn (and no, I didn't cheat to make them rich ;))

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006, 07:29:37 pm »
Money CAN buy happyness! ever played Play Boy Mansion? get lotsa money and then go to the pool, get out a Li LO and see him close his eyes with a big smile on his face, bobbing about in the water, listening to fine music, and just relaxing in the sun. Thats heaven for me.

Offline Slith

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2006, 11:52:18 pm »
This poll seems is rather biased.

In my opinion, if I see an expansion that is relatively worthless, I won't buy it. A lot of the Sims expansions fall under this category. Others include the downloadable content that you can get for Oblivion.

Bethesda is a particularly unscrupulous company that dishes out absolute crap in their expansions to the game. Their latest offering for Oblivion is a series of spells you automatically learn when you read certain new books. It seems alright for $0.99, until you realize you can make the exact same spells for free in the game already, with or without the free construction set. Not only that, but they still fail to fix the problem with xbox users being unable to delete spells they no longer want. It's pathetic. This kind of 'expansion' to the game could easily be made during a developers lunch break. Seriously. give me 5 minutes in the CS and I could do it.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 12:10:49 am by Slith »
If you believe certain words, you believe their hidden arguments. When you believe something is right or wrong, true of false, you believe the assumptions in the words which express the arguments. Such assumptions are often full of holes, but remain most precious to the convinced.

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2006, 04:44:31 am »
Bah, go to:
http://tessource.net/

Theres HEAPS of game play and graphics changes there for Oblivion, and its all FREE. Some of them are realy good. e.g. my character wields Frostmourne from warcraft III and it looks realy cool.

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2006, 06:43:12 am »
In my opinion, an expansion pack should either A)  double (or more) the current content of the game or B)  cost far less than the core CD, and NEVER be only purchasable by online download (burn in hell BF2!!!!)

Offline darkstar

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Cool looking UFO- Priceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2006, 07:05:00 pm »
Expansion packs are great, but i want a greatly expanded game from each expansion pack and not just some new arms and legs or spaceship parts, i want an entire new stage, underwater, underground, in space, whatever.

An expansion pack must add things that should have been in the origional game and things the designers never even dreamed of at the time, not just more stuff that, while making the game have more options, lacks in any real value.

and DEFINITLY NO ONLINE ONLY DOWNLOADABLE EXPANSIONS!
Those who think anything is possible have never tried slamming a revolving door.

Everything has a weakness against grenades ;)

Current Favorite Game- Spore

Waiting on:
Fallout 3
Starcraft 2

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2006, 02:11:48 am »
As long as they're EXPANSION packs and not Completion packs, I buy em.