Author Topic: Flaws in Creature Animation  (Read 8438 times)

Offline Lurker28

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
    • Ordus inferi - Age of Conan Guild
Re: Flaws in Creature Animation
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2006, 02:27:13 pm »
You could make more joints, but all in all the animations have changed since the 05 GDC video and not necessarily for the better. They have become more universally and stiff. The walk cycles for the characters are jerky at best, the animation department really needs to get the butt in gear.

Offline Iryn

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2006, 02:52:05 pm »
Perhaps they ran into a few walls when developing the software for animations?
"I can imagine a perfect world, a world without war, a world without hate.
Then I can imagine us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
- Jack Handey

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2006, 03:25:47 pm »
You could make more joints, but all in all the animations have changed since the 05 GDC video and not necessarily for the better. They have become more universally and stiff. The walk cycles for the characters are jerky at best, the animation department really needs to get the butt in gear.
Given that we haven't actually seen any Willosaurs (or anything with the same limb setup) in the recent videos, I'm not sure what you're basing that on.

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2006, 05:09:27 pm »
Most of the creatures we've seen people make are all 4 legged and have the origional spine, and most walk the same way. Until we actualy see someone create a creature with 2 or 6+ legs we wont be able to see how the procedual animation deals with the new skeleton.

I'd like to see how Brandy moves.

Offline Bonobo

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2006, 06:01:34 pm »
I don't expect them to be able to fix the problem of body parts clipping through each other. The number of limb configurations is just too large for them to catch every case.

Offline Full_Metal

• Adventure Ace
    • View Profile
    • Vector Hates You All!
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2006, 09:11:08 pm »
Personally, while I noticed the legs bumping into each other in the E3 06 video, I didn't mind. Partly because I've been conditioned by low standards of animation in video games in general, and partly I was distracted by the new features and graphics. If it happened in the finished game, it probably wouldn't bug me.

Offline Lurker28

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
    • Ordus inferi - Age of Conan Guild
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2006, 02:23:35 am »
Given that we haven't actually seen any Willosaurs (or anything with the same limb setup) in the recent videos, I'm not sure what you're basing that on.

Willosaurs no, but creatures like "hangdog", "dilemma", and "carebear" we have seen in many of the creature editor videos. They had similar spline/skeletal structure as the ladder creatures, yet none of them even move remotely close to the older GDC videos. They are stiff and not very life like in motion, clipping is not that big of an issue to me because all games have to deal with a fair share of clipping...no biggy. However, professional animators should be able to universalize better movements then what I've been seeing in the past few months.

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2006, 02:26:38 am »
In a game where you can put anything anywhere and then animate it through a cover-all-situations code, I expect there to be loads of animation bugs.   Clipping is a guarantee although it would be nice if you had to consider where you put limbs to keep your creature from getting tangled and becoming an evolutionary dead end.

Offline gutwrencher89

• Star Castle Cadet
  • NO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2006, 07:29:25 am »
If I had to choose between clipping and crappy animations, I'd definitely rather have a little clipping but make the creatures move realistically.

Offline slugfly

• Time Pilot Trekker
    • View Profile
    • SporeFanatic
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2006, 08:02:29 am »
well...  moving realistically would mean no clipping, it would mean getting tangled which I would prefer.

I'm also very (very) disappointed that balance doesn't play a factor.  Physics should be in any 3 dimensional game made.  It bothers me that I see creatures that would fall on their face if there was even a hint of gravity...

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2006, 04:59:04 pm »
tweety swayed pretty realisticaly, ur assuming all the wieght is distributed eavenly, perhaps their asses are realy heavy and that counter ballances the weight?

Offline thorjarle

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
  • Between the lines
    • View Profile
    • thorjarle.com - mellom linjene
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2006, 10:13:54 am »
The head of tweety could consist of air and therefor it wouldnt be heavy and make it fall, but the big issue is that I havent seen a creature move like tweety or the willosaurus for a loong time...

Offline Slith

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2006, 02:09:26 pm »
Most of the creatures we've seen people make are all 4 legged and have the origional spine, and most walk the same way. Until we actualy see someone create a creature with 2 or 6+ legs we wont be able to see how the procedual animation deals with the new skeleton.

I'd like to see how Brandy moves.

That's exactly the problem. Every 4 legged creature shouldn't be walking the exact same way as every other 4 legged creature. There needs to be some more variance in there. Take weight/mass, intertia, and centre of gravity into account, and maybe even make it possible for your creature to screw up and trip over itself if it tries to do something its body just can't handle.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 02:12:29 pm by Slith »
If you believe certain words, you believe their hidden arguments. When you believe something is right or wrong, true of false, you believe the assumptions in the words which express the arguments. Such assumptions are often full of holes, but remain most precious to the convinced.

Offline thorjarle

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
  • Between the lines
    • View Profile
    • thorjarle.com - mellom linjene
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2006, 12:22:48 pm »
I think that the GDC 2005 video has a much better showing of physics of everything. The editor is prettier, it shows ribs inside the animal and the spine is more correct. The walking of all the creatures is much more realistic. The new editor and videos from it shows a creature that is very rigid when it walks, the only thing moving is the legs (almost). And when a creature kills a animal the animal is bolted to the ground when it is being eaten, but in the 2005 video the prey move and you can pull it and the willosaurus even gets in on his head, and the prey bleeds downwards to the water... The editor and the video from 2005 looks like version 2 while the videoes we see now looks like a version 1. Why would Will Wright make a poorer editor and game than he had 2 years ago?

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2006, 12:39:50 pm »
I miss the inside an egg background in the creature editor.  :'(