Author Topic: Playing with time as well as space  (Read 2254 times)

Offline kthx

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
Playing with time as well as space
« on: June 06, 2005, 11:06:12 pm »
The podcast interview, while difficult to hear at times was full of tasty tidbits that we can bandy about until the transcript comes out.

Besides hinting at the possibility of gravitational tools on the UFO (which is awesome), Will clearly states that is space/time distortion around black holes and some other stellar phenomena. Cursory knowledge of what Will wants to do with this game leads me to believe that the existence of such distortion isn't just to look pretty, it might very well be another aspect of the toy that we can play with.  So what sort of gameplay implications might this have?

Time travel, maybe? The more I think about it, it might now work. What else can we do with time?

(Also, mention of the monolith like in 2001: A Space Odyssey and Sim Earth, made me weep with joy.)

kthxbye

Offline Xac

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
Re: Playing with time as well as space
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 11:17:04 pm »
Maybe you could do the monolith thing. then swing near the event horizon of a black hole for a bit, and skip ahead a few million years (thanks to the singularity's time warping gravity) and see what has happened to the species in the time that has past  ;D

Offline jarnomiedema

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 09:44:25 am »
Yeah.. Either that or the entire crew of your UFO is reduced back to the cellular lifeforms they started out as because time is reversed..  ;D Way to ruin your day, I'd say..  :D

Offline kthx

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 09:47:54 am »
A game mechanic that effectively ruins gameplay. Golden!  ;D
kthxbye