Author Topic: Evidence of no more water creatures.  (Read 20982 times)

Offline CustodianV131

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
Re: Evidence of no more water creatures.
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2006, 01:09:07 am »
Well they of course plan on releasing a ton of add-on packs ala Sims, so I think this just took to much time and they decided to pull it for now. Wouldn't be amazed if it returns in an add-on.

Almost all games start with more stuff promised then what actually makes it in. On only because of evil intent :) but more likely because of time/tech limitations.

On the other hand I'm sure there are still some surprises left for us to discover.
Do drop by on my Spore page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/CustodianV131
Comments verrrry welcome! Rating my creatures is much appreciated, but be honest please!

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2006, 01:40:04 am »
If underwater creatures and civs arent included in the initial release, and if they arent made into a public patchified-update, then even if they do release it as an expansion pack, they'll need to polish it up and add some good stuff in otherwise nobody will buy the expansion pack.
*shrugs*
Unfortunately, short of not buying the game/expansion pack to make a point, there isnt really anything we can do about it. Of course, if Maxis dont get it right (for one reason or another), someone else eventually will. Im curious to see how the Spore clone-titles will end up. We already passed the "Incredible Creatures" spin-off phase of the gaming market, but Spore might cause them to go back and take a look at it again. If a company spots a formula that worked well (or could have worked well), you can bet they'll have a shot too.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2006, 01:42:07 am by Uroboros »

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2006, 01:53:53 am »
it will be released in an expansion called "under the sea" or somthing, i do not think there is anything more to say about it.
Never mind your own business.

Offline munchkin5

• Punch-Out Champ
  • Gentlemen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2006, 03:46:09 am »
I seem to remember WW saying that what they want in the game that doesn't make it is the first thing they want in expansion packs so it probably will come out in an expansion ;)

Offline nausved

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2006, 06:23:41 am »
If underwater creatures are relegated to an expansion pack, it looks like it will be quite some time before I buy either the game or the expansion; I'll wait until their combined prices drop to about to about the same cost as Spore alone when first released, though I realize this will take a very long time. I'm just not willing to shell out twice as much money to get the "complete" evolution experience.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2006, 06:42:09 am »
You know, neither Will Wright, or any other person in Maxis or EA has ever stated any intention to release an expansion pack. It has never been implied or innuendoed that there will be a Spore expansion pack.

And yet you know that aquatic creatures (of which there is no evidence that they won't be in Spore in the first place) will be released in the first (of many, you say) expansion packs (of which no official source has mentioned.)

Can I borrow your time machine?
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2006, 07:03:46 am »
You know, neither Will Wright, or any other person in Maxis or EA has ever stated any intention to release an expansion pack. It has never been implied or innuendoed that there will be a Spore expansion pack.

And yet you know that aquatic creatures (of which there is no evidence that they won't be in Spore in the first place) will be released in the first (of many, you say) expansion packs (of which no official source has mentioned.)

Sure you can! Use it to go back to August 9th:
Quote from: IGN
IGN: Have you thought about how expansions will be handled for Spore?

Will Wright: We've thought a little about that. When you're making a game, you start out with all these ideas. Then as the deadline draws near, you have to start cutting stuff out. And that stuff is the first content you want to get into expansions.

Offline Psammeticus

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • Crazy Pharaoh from 500 B.C.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2006, 07:18:43 am »
You know the first animals under the water crawled, and they were featureless blobs too.
http://www.dhushara.com/book/evol/edic.jpg
see Dickisonia
Pharaoh and co. Beating people down with a ceremonial mace since 3,200 B.C.

Offline LE102071

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2006, 07:18:50 am »

Not to mention the fact that, although the information listed here is great..  I'd say about 75% of everything here is conjecture, hope and desire.

So..  no time machine needed or required..  all that is required is time..  

Peace

Offline Millsy111

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2006, 09:21:15 am »
I'm not really too bothered about the inclusion of water civilisations and species. I wouldn't mind if it was added but I wasn't planning on any aquatic/amphibious creatures anyway. It would be nice if they added the ability for your creature to swim, but I find this highly unlikely as it would be very complicated to do.

Offline munchkin5

• Punch-Out Champ
  • Gentlemen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2006, 09:25:07 am »
if it wasn't included in the final game i wouldn't be too bothered aslong as it was brought out in an expansion because i'd like to try it out later after id played the game on land.  ;)

Offline Nazzul

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2006, 09:35:59 am »
Then why were aquatic creatures in the demo I think will wright is talking about sentiant water creatures. Would they be so cut happy to cut a part of the game they already showed off? It seemed easy to make non sentiant water creatures just to fight and swim.

Offline QReaper

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
  • Knowledge is a weapon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2006, 10:06:45 am »
It would make me very sad if there were no Sea Creatures, as my "Nereids" would be but a pipe dream until they decide to implement it. :'(

Offline Slith

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2006, 12:49:01 pm »
I can't believe you guys are just taking this. I am OUTRAGED that they would even think of removing the vital water stage, and not one of you is upset about it. For ****'s sake, if you want to keep it in the game you better protest any kind of decision that even just hints at a removal of features you like. Take a stand with me, and show your support for this feature that I and many others feel is very necessary to the game.

Eh, I think that is a bit of a stretch there. The game is suppose to be a fun representation of the cycle of life in my opinion.

That's what I meant, the ocean is the great mother.  Conceptually I'm very disappointed that there won't be a water stage or the chance to return to the ocean later...

Leaving out aquatic life is like taking a beautyful woman and burning off one side of her face.

Without water, the game seems much more barren. There's land and colorful water - which has absolutely nothing!

If underwater creatures are relegated to an expansion pack, it looks like it will be quite some time before I buy either the game or the expansion; I'll wait until their combined prices drop to about to about the same cost as Spore alone when first released, though I realize this will take a very long time. I'm just not willing to shell out twice as much money to get the "complete" evolution experience.

Well they of course plan on releasing a ton of add-on packs ala Sims, so I think this just took to much time and they decided to pull it for now. Wouldn't be amazed if it returns in an add-on.
If you don't like it, say so. Say it with me even: "I do not want the ocean/water phase removed from Spore." repost that nibble, tell them what you would enjoy in that ocean phase, why you would enjoy having that phase. If we all sit back and say "Eh, they're making an expansion pack with stuff removed from the game, that sucks, but I'll buy it soon as it comes out." What do you think they're going to do?

If underwater creatures and civs arent included in the initial release, and if they arent made into a public patchified-update, then even if they do release it as an expansion pack, they'll need to polish it up and add some good stuff in otherwise nobody will buy the expansion pack.
*shrugs*
Unfortunately, short of not buying the game/expansion pack to make a point, there isnt really anything we can do about it.
Unbelievable. Look, there *is* something you can do about this. Protest loudly, and do it NOW, while the game is a year from release. Think about this. If water life is in the basic game, any future expansions [as much as I detest the idea.] will have something new - something exciting, rather than ideas and features that could've shipped with the game in the first place!

it will be released in an expansion called "under the sea" or somthing, i do not think there is anything more to say about it.
What you NEED to say is, "NO."

I'm not really too bothered about the inclusion of water civilisations and species. I wouldn't mind if it was added but I wasn't planning on any aquatic/amphibious creatures anyway.
I'm not really too bothered about the exclusion of the city phase. I wouldn't mind if it was added but I wasn't planning on running a city nor was I planning on building one. We get to do that stuff in the tribal phase and the civilization phase anyways. May as well make the game nice and streamlined for me.

Then why were aquatic creatures in the demo I think will wright is talking about sentiant water creatures. Would they be so cut happy to cut a part of the game they already showed off?
I can give you an easy simple answer: They want more money. An Expansion pack should not be full of stuff that should have been in the game, it should be full of stuff that wasn't even thought of or implemented in the game. The underwater phase is already quite well developed, I DO NOT WANT and I WILL NOT BUY, an underwater expansion for Spore. I would politely ask the Maxis team to rethink any thoughts they might have of cutting it.

C'mon you guys, do you want this game to be dumbed down and ripped apart into tiny expansion packs so EA can make more money? Think about this. Tell EA, tell Maxis: "If you remove certain key, critical parts from the game, parts like the evolution of creatures in the water, we WILL NOT buy your game." It doesn't matter if you'll follow through with it or not - some will, some won't. But if the majority of players are telling them that their game isn't worth buying without feature [a] or feature , they will listen. I implore you, please take a stand on this issue, ask Maxis to make sure the water phase is in the game. It's a significant part of how life evolved on Earth itself. Do you want your planets to have no ocean life at all!?

If you believe certain words, you believe their hidden arguments. When you believe something is right or wrong, true of false, you believe the assumptions in the words which express the arguments. Such assumptions are often full of holes, but remain most precious to the convinced.

Offline aquaman

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Must...Get....SPORE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 26, 2006, 12:55:54 pm »
Well frankly I don't really care if its in or not.  Its just going to be similar to land creatures and tribes...etc but underwater, not much difference too be honest. (For me at least).  Now I'd rather sacrifice the water part of the game for them to really polish up the game properly and possible have a slightly earlier release.

But thats just my opinion.