Author Topic: A few PS3 Questions  (Read 1934 times)

Offline Solaren

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
A few PS3 Questions
« on: August 23, 2006, 07:10:13 pm »
Ok guys, I've been readin from alot of places and hearing rumors and all that.  Here's what I pieced together so far, if I'm totally off, let me know, and then conjecture on my big question at the end.

PS3 will cost $600 featuring the blue-ray technology (which I'm not really sure will win or not over HD-DVD)
Games for the PS3 will be around $100 (360 will be about $70 and wii cheaper still)

If what I said above is in fact true, I'm really having a problem seeing that there will be enough hardore fans of ps2 titles to buy the thing.  For myself, there are only two game franchises on my 'gotta have' list (and both are from the same company).  That's right, I'm talking about Square-Enix and the FF series and KH series.

MY BIG QUESTION
 Considering that FF started on nes and KH 1.5 came out on GBA, not PSP, and the general iffiness of how the ps3 will do considering al the moneey stuff, do think Square-Enix may hadge their bets and end up releasing these future titles for more than one system?

Microsoft has been putting alot of effort into bringing some rpgness to their 360 by contracting with various companies and I'd be willing to shell over the cash for either/both that and the wii.  Honsestly I'd be pretty ticked off if I have to spend $800 to contue with these series ($600 machine, $100ea for FFXIII and KH3).  I know the only reports for ffxiii are for ps3, but geez, it sounds like SE is going to lose alot of potential sales just because many intheir fan base won't/can't spend the money on the new system their games are made for.

Offline El Stevo

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
Re: A few PS3 Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 07:58:05 pm »
It's an excellent question. I can't see that, at $599, the PS3 will enjoy a fan base the size of the PS2's. People just can't afford it.
In the case of FF, I suppose it depends on what sort of exclusivity deal they have with Sony at the moment. You're absolutely right that it's a big risk publishing such an ambitious title on an unproven console. I suppose it's the same story for any exclusive title really - they're cutting off a large part of the market by being exclusive.
Don't touch the screen!
Rank 4: Elite
Gamertag - El Stev0  |  Last.fm
Overwhelmed, as one would be, placed in my position.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 08:23:34 pm »
Let me just clarify something first:

The vast majority of new Xbox 360 retail for $60.

PS3 will most likely not cost $100, but they will probably be more expensive than Xbox 360 games.

And to answer your main question: No, I personally don't think that Square-Enix will release their main Final Fantasy games on any platform other than the PlayStation 3. Despite its high price, the PlayStation 3 will undoubtedly sell well in Japan, and that is all the Square-Enix needs. Plus, you can bet that Sony is throwing massive amounts of money to Square-Enix to keep Final Fantasy exclusive.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 12:10:21 am »
Let me just clarify something first:

The vast majority of new Xbox 360 retail for $60.

PS3 will most likely not cost $100, but they will probably be more expensive than Xbox 360 games.

And to answer your main question: No, I personally don't think that Square-Enix will release their main Final Fantasy games on any platform other than the PlayStation 3. Despite its high price, the PlayStation 3 will undoubtedly sell well in Japan, and that is all the Square-Enix needs. Plus, you can bet that Sony is throwing massive amounts of money to Square-Enix to keep Final Fantasy exclusive.

Sadly, I agree with this. I cannot foresee the FF series proper going anywhere. Wii will get the Crystal Chronicles games, but that's about it. One title from Square-Enix that has a shot for Wii release is Dragon Quest, which I would actually prefer to having the core FF series.

Microsoft hasn't a chance in all that's good and divine in this world of getting the FF series. MS's presence in Japan is non-existent. So that leaves the Wii. The problem there is that Square is a graphics whore, and they must be salivating over the sheer amount of FMV data they can put on a Blu-Ray disc.

Offline Solaren

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 03:01:45 am »
I had forotten about DQ, which is odd since that's what I'm playing right now.  dqviii is the first one I've ever played from the series and I've already got 100 hours logged in it and I haven't even been to the dark areas yet.  I hope SE will share this series with the wii or something.  If they do I can prolly get over losing FF.  There's still KH, but oh well I suppose.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 06:56:21 am »
I had forotten about DQ, which is odd since that's what I'm playing right now. dqviii is the first one I've ever played from the series and I've already got 100 hours logged in it and I haven't even been to the dark areas yet. I hope SE will share this series with the wii or something. If they do I can prolly get over losing FF. There's still KH, but oh well I suppose.

There was a rumor floating around that if the Dragon Quest Swords game for Wii's launch does adequately well, that Square-Enix may consider bringing DQ proper to the platform exclusively -- and that would be huge. Considering how early it is into its development, IX could easily be put on the Wii alone should the Wii sell like hotcakes in Japan (which it will) and especially if it outsells the PS3 there (which it very well might). I think Japan is going to determine whether DQ goes exclusive to the Wii or not, seeing as the series has such a small following elsewhere.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 07:14:03 am »
I had forotten about DQ, which is odd since that's what I'm playing right now.  dqviii is the first one I've ever played from the series and I've already got 100 hours logged in it and I haven't even been to the dark areas yet.  I hope SE will share this series with the wii or something.  If they do I can prolly get over losing FF.  There's still KH, but oh well I suppose.

There was a rumor floating around that if the Dragon Quest Swords game for Wii's launch does adequately well, that Square-Enix may consider bringing DQ proper to the platform exclusively -- and that would be huge. Considering how early it is into its development, IX could easily be put on the Wii alone should the Wii sell like hotcakes in Japan (which it will) and especially if it outsells the PS3 there (which it very well might). I think Japan is going to determine whether DQ goes exclusive to the Wii or not, seeing as the series has such a small following elsewhere.

Yeah, I believe someone like EGM created this rumor. If true, this would be a huge win for Nintento. Dragon Quest isn't huge elsewhere, but in Japan, it is as big as the Final Fantasy series, almost bigger,

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 07:55:11 am »
I had forotten about DQ, which is odd since that's what I'm playing right now. dqviii is the first one I've ever played from the series and I've already got 100 hours logged in it and I haven't even been to the dark areas yet. I hope SE will share this series with the wii or something. If they do I can prolly get over losing FF. There's still KH, but oh well I suppose.

Yeah, I believe someone like EGM created this rumor. If true, this would be a huge win for Nintento. Dragon Quest isn't huge elsewhere, but in Japan, it is as big as the Final Fantasy series, almost bigger.

EGM may have reported it, but I'd heard it from four or five different places before I read it in there. So I think it has a bit more backing than your usual rumor, you know? Or at least I'm hoping it does, 'cause that would be all kinds of wicked.