Author Topic: Samog's Sketchbook  (Read 4725 times)

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
Samog's Sketchbook
« on: August 23, 2006, 12:14:57 pm »
"They call themselves the Nomads"

Other races prefer more colorful names -- batteries, bourgeoisie, drifters, ingots, wedges, tubers; the list goes on.

There are traders who deal with the Nomads their whole lives and never even see anything beyond the Fleet. These are becoming increasingly less common as the Nomads creep across space. Admirals, CEOs, and eccentrics alike have paid billions of their currency for Nomad machines, but for a live Nomad to operate them, planetoids, mines, small countries, and the like have all been traded over. First, one thing should be established. Nomads build things for other people to use. However, every good large-scale piece of equipment, from war mechs to space ferries to biospheres, has a little circular hatch in it. "Little" means about 1.8 meters in diameter.

Here's why. This, as far as anyone knows, is a Nomad:

A silvery canister with unexplained markings all over it.

The Nomads are, of course, a wandering race of mercenaries and traders. The rest of the civilized galaxy knows a few things about them. For example, while they're apparently content to sit in large racks on trade shuttles, the Fleet nucleates around small groups of recreational vessels. They also seem to enjoy formal ceremonies generally attributed to primitive post-Iron Age cultures. And while they do sell technology, it only comes with instructions. With the exception of sheer genius applied to the task of reverse-engineering, Nomad products are only manufactured by Nomad traders.

Another oddity is the fact that Nomads have no use for the three gods -- visitors to their ships will find the occasional ViS emblem, but "the respect they, in their giant walking suits, show to Subspace is not mystical at all... indeed, while they are distinctly neutral in most things, they show a sort of familiarity towards the Masters of Efficiency."[1]

When they stop on planets, they are almost always those that follow the ViS, but nobody really knows why. Several ships touch down, mechs in the shape of the natives come out, they ask vague questions, and they leave.

Obviously, a OMYL race.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 04:24:01 pm by Samog »

"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
Re: They call themselves the Nomads
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 12:29:05 pm »
Nice work, Samog. Very interesting. We must see more!

Also:
http://echosphere.net/star_trek_insp/insp_nomad_preview.jpg
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 01:32:14 pm by Daxx »

Offline Daan

• Lode Runner
  • Cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 12:57:50 pm »
Hey Samog, can the Yunimius hire Nomad mercenaries in their attempts to gain back some territory in a war?

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 01:21:08 pm »
Hey Samog, can the Yunimius hire Nomad mercenaries in their attempts to gain back some territory in a war?

Obviously, a OMYL race.

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 12:17:09 pm »

This is the preferred device for walking around Nomad spaceships. It works either by lifting the central cylinder and setting it back down or walking fast enough for the walker not to fall over.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 12:26:00 pm by Samog »
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2006, 01:51:39 pm »
Ooh. Tres bien. I'm betting on them looking pretty hideous inside those cylinders. Like giant shirvelled arses with eyes or something.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2006, 03:21:40 pm »
Ooh. Tres bien. I'm betting on them looking pretty hideous inside those cylinders. Like giant shirvelled arses with eyes or something.

Daleks, perhaps.

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2006, 04:30:24 pm »
When someone just needs Nomads, not machines, this is the way they usually arrive.

It is entirely coincidential that all Nomad canisters contain high-powered explosives.

Offline TaylorFlame

• Adventure Ace
  • LOOK A MUSLIM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2006, 04:41:10 pm »
How were they made, and can the Nomads move themselves around without help?

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2006, 03:48:36 pm »
doodles

How were they made, and can the Nomads move themselves around without help?
They build cylinders for infant Nomads, which are made the way most infants are.

Yes.

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2006, 04:20:48 pm »
naucean

Quote from: Hydro
lol
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 04:22:57 pm by Samog »

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
Re: Samog's Sketchbook
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2006, 04:32:53 pm »
I'm told this looks like a gazelle.

???

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
Re: Samog's Sketchbook
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2006, 04:38:39 pm »
A Gazelle mixed with a Wiener Dog (Dachshund). Better (and more creative) then anything I can come up with. Very nice stuff.
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley