Author Topic: WTF  (Read 5889 times)

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
Re: WTF
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2006, 11:24:59 pm »
Well, y'know, Sony, they keep innovating, but everywhere they go, Microsoft is there. They just can't shake those guys!

:P

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2006, 08:11:24 am »
Well, y'know, Sony, they keep innovating, but everywhere they go, Microsoft is there. They just can't shake those guys!

:P

Like white on rice, I'm tellin' ya!

Offline Aybraus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • aka VFX Watch aka Toothy aka Chris.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2006, 08:17:22 am »
I herd that from a comic.
You heard it from ME.

ON TOPIC:  I don't care if one company "rips off" another.  It's called building a genre.  If Nintendo didn't rip off Atari where would Zelda be?
I'm toothy22 on Steam. Someone needs to invite me into the GS clan!

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2006, 08:55:27 am »
Though part of me wishes they'd have titled it "All Your Base Are Belong to Us," seeing as it's definitely inspired by Nintendo's franchise.

"All your fanbase are belong to us"  :D
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2006, 09:36:50 am »
Though part of me wishes they'd have titled it "All Your Base Are Belong to Us," seeing as it's definitely inspired by Nintendo's franchise.

"All your fanbase are belong to us" :D

"All your idea are belong to us" :D

Quote from: VFX Watch
ON TOPIC: I don't care if one company "rips off" another. It's called building a genre. If Nintendo didn't rip off Atari where would Zelda be?

You think Nintendo ripped off Atari to get Zelda? Hmm. I don't see that. Zelda was pretty landmark for its time period; I don't recall any Atari game being remotely comparable. Especially not to a level where you can contrast it to the extent Sony is blatantly taking from WarioWare with this game. But fair enough, they're building a genre. Of course the moment I hear Kaz say in an interview how Nintendo ripped WTF off by making WarioWare, I'm going to scream.

Which serves an interesting point. In every other case within this industry, building a genre has been accompanied by a general acknowledgement of what came before in said upstart genre. Which is to say that every platformer following Mario never claimed that it was being original, it was usually understood that it was paying homage to its predecessor. In Sony's case, they refuse to give credit to anyone and that makes me suspicious of their every move. And I think that's partly why other people utilize the term 'rip off' so naturally with Sony because they never give credit where it's due unless it's to themselves.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2006, 07:33:20 pm »
You think Nintendo ripped off Atari to get Zelda? Hmm. I don't see that. Zelda was pretty landmark for its time period; I don't recall any Atari game being remotely comparable.

E.T.!!!!

Offline Aybraus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • aka VFX Watch aka Toothy aka Chris.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2006, 09:30:02 pm »
I was thinking along the lines of "Adventure."

As in the game.
I'm toothy22 on Steam. Someone needs to invite me into the GS clan!

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2006, 08:02:44 am »
I was thinking along the lines of "Adventure."

As in the game.

Which was a graphical version of a text game, in which case you can show a direct causal relationship between the two. Is there any way to know whether Adventure ever made it to Japan? I don't consider something a 'rip off' if the creator of the second game wasn't aware of the first. But it's an interest subject to consider: Did Miyamoto ever play Adventure or know about it prior to creating The Legend of Zelda?

But last I checked, the Atari 2600 really didn't reach Japan in any capacity.