Author Topic: Judging a book by its cover  (Read 5347 times)

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
Judging a book by its cover
« on: August 22, 2006, 08:49:20 am »
Do you judge a book by its cover? I mean, isn't that what really first attracts you? How it looks? Isn't the neat-o picture on the front what makes you open it up or flip it over and read the synopsis? And if so, do you think important books like...oh say, the bible, sell better if they had a bikini model on the front?

Offline Malt

• Swordquest Superstar
  • Experience Dance Tonight!
    • View Profile
Re: Judging a book by its cover
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 09:44:54 am »
I judge a book by it's title.
DUDETHISISJUSTWRONGGOLOCKTHISTHREADMALT4MOD

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 06:42:55 pm »
I judge a book by its author, and its genre. If its historical ficition or realistic fiction I usually won't touch it.

But besides that criteria, I read the back of the book (or the inside of the cover, if there is only praise on the back) to see if its my style.

Offline Fink

• Elevator Action Operator
  • I have more stars than you
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 09:29:39 pm »
Yeah, unfortunately the book has to stand out for me to look at it. For example if it's manga I have to like the art style for me to look closer

But I doubt the way it looked alone would get me to buy it. I usually read the back or a few pages to see if I would like it

Offline shadowlord18

• Super Mario Bro.
  • *hug* here you go be well my friend.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 10:05:18 pm »
i usualy read the blurb on the back before i decide to read a book
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 04:01:27 am by shadowlord18 »
Life is not measured by the amount of times you fall down but by the number of times you get back up again.

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 04:00:55 am »
if I've never heard of a book, I'm attracted by the cover and title. I actually judge it from reading the back/inside cover
"You hate people!"
"But I love gatherings. Isn't that ironic?"
~Clerks
Quote from: Kaizer
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline SmileyMan

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 01:06:15 pm »
I judge it by its title.

Offline Naronto

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2006, 03:13:00 pm »
I judge it by a number of perspectives its title, cover , author, genre, and the synopsis on the back
"The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'. "
Larry Hardiman

Offline p-luke

• Joust Warrior
  • The Atheist God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2006, 12:06:32 pm »
I decide on the cover if I want to read the back or not, and I decide on the backside if I want to read the book or not.

Offline Fumanchu

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006, 01:11:57 pm »
The cover art goes a *long* way towards me picking it up and taking a deeper look. Aside from the synopsis on the back, I'll read reviews on the inside. Then the real kicker is to open it purely at random and read a couple paragraphs. If it doesn't gel for me then, I set it aside and possibly open it back up some other time I'm book-hunting. I did this 3 times with Reality Dysfunction back in the day and finally gave in and bought the blasted series (enjoyed it immensely).

I've seen the cover for authors like David Weber or Ringo (?) and, my oh my, do those look generic. I figure if the cover artist can't be inspired to illustrate something worth looking at closely, can the book?

Offline Devoid

• Qix Crazy
  • Join the resistance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2006, 04:14:20 pm »
If the cover is really terrible, then yeah, I do. And I mean absolutely ugly. Whatever it shows on the front, be it a character or a scene or anything, it will affect how I view that in my mind's eye as I read it. If it shows the main character, and the picture is really craptastic, I won't be able to shake that bad picture from my mind.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2006, 03:39:20 pm »
Yeah i judge a book by it's cover...

Offline Danger Mouse

• Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2006, 05:59:01 am »
I usually read it if I like the author
Good Grief!

Offline russellmania4

• Tempest Top Dog
  • i r from teh spores
    • View Profile
    • Yummy Goode
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2006, 08:46:21 am »
Do you judge a book by its cover? I mean, isn't that what really first attracts you? How it looks? Isn't the neat-o picture on the front what makes you open it up or flip it over and read the synopsis? And if so, do you think important books like...oh say, the bible, sell better if they had a bikini model on the front?

I tend to do the oposite. If the cover is shiny and all, I find that it is trying to make up for something. I generally gravetate towards the simple covered books.
You killed Harry Potter  >:( !!!!!
Yes. Yes I did.

Offline TheMagicHobo

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • Schrodinger's Cat is out for Revenge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2006, 07:51:50 am »
Considerably I do. If I see cover art that markets the books as a cliche fantasy, then I probably won't go for it. But if I see cover art that make it looks unique, I'll probably go for it.
Schrodinger will kill you like a cat in a box. Maybe.

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection.

Televison - A medium. So called because it is neither rare nor well-done.

Keep an open mind. Just make sure it's not so open your brain falls out.

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2006, 10:16:35 am »
Considerably I do. If I see cover art that markets the books as a cliche fantasy, then I probably won't go for it. But if I see cover art that make it looks unique, I'll probably go for it.
I do this. If it has a muscular looking man, mountains, a sword with a gem in it, a blonde or some kind of mythological beast on it I generally avoid it.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline TheMagicHobo

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • Schrodinger's Cat is out for Revenge.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2006, 12:09:28 pm »
I do this. If it has a muscular looking man, mountains, a sword with a gem in it, a blonde or some kind of mythological beast on it I generally avoid it.

;D

Really though, they all end up essentially being the same thing:

Good guy who has no idea he has some secret power loses a family member due to evil guy.

Good guy investigates family member's death, and finds out one of two things:

1. The family member isn't actually a family member.

2. The family member has some dark secret.

This then leads them to discover about the evil guy.

When the good guy gets too indepth discovering about the evil guy, the love interest, who usually has some big secret power, meets up with the good guy.

Good guy gets best buddy involved in the investigation.

Good guy discovers secret power through love interest.

Good guy goes on a long journey, which usually involves at least one dragon, one witch, and one army of goblinkin, in order to take revenge on the evil guy, and also to stop the evil guy from taking over the kingdom/world/universe/plane.

Eventually the love interest gets captured, and the good guy does something stupid to save her, thereby advancing the means of the evil guy.

Good guy feels he should give up now, but love interest gives him sex to convince him otherwise.

Good guy discovers his REAL secret power, usually through the use of an old hermit/exiled wizard, who also gives him some ancient weapon in order to defeat the evil guy.

Good guy uses real secret power in an attempt to defeat evil guy, but evil guy has a trick up his sleeve and defeats good guy.

Evil guy kills good guy's best buddy.

Good guy gets enraged and his friend's death, and unlocks his REAL REAL secret power, including that of the ancient weapon.

Good guy goes to evil guy base, and evil guy is confounded by good guys new ultimate-kick-your-ass power.

Evil guy gets his ass kicked from one end of the kingdom/world/universe/plane to the other.

Good guy marries love interest, and goes into seclusion, until an interdemensional beast shows up and starts tearing up the kingdom.

The sequel.

Also, Peter's Evil Overlord List!

http://www.eviloverlord.com/lists/overlord.html
« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 12:11:20 pm by TheMagicHobo »
Schrodinger will kill you like a cat in a box. Maybe.

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection.

Televison - A medium. So called because it is neither rare nor well-done.

Keep an open mind. Just make sure it's not so open your brain falls out.

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2006, 01:38:29 pm »
Nothing more to add to that!  :D

Good sci-fi usually has terrible covers. Abstract imagery, more often that not a head or a human figure with rays of light or geometric shapes shooting out of it, that sort of thing. Older, more adventure type sci-fi, like C Clark and Heinlein's expedition and war stories, feature spaceship and space stuff unrelated to the story. Old classics have beige. Sometimes with an old black and white illustration.

Good sci-fi: http://www.philipkdick.com/covers/Scanner_Darkly_PT.jpg
Old sci-fi: http://blackholes.stardate.org/images/Imperial_Earth_cover.jpg
Classic sci-fi: http://vesuvius.jsc.nasa.gov/er/seh/noteVern.gif