Author Topic: Just Cause  (Read 11740 times)

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
Re: Just Cause
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2006, 10:48:46 am »
Oh, now I remember!

Exploring is pretty much impossible. If you get too far from your objective, then you phail and you have to start over. It's not like "Mission failed. Wanna try again, or go exploring?" It's like "Mission failed, start over NOW!"

I don't know about you guys, but I love the wide-open freedom of games like this. This game seems like it would be pretty good if you bought the retail version, but the demo was just bad.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

c14dude

« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2006, 10:55:01 am »
PHI-1618 i suggest you still try it, you never know when you will pass up your new all time fav game.

if i had listened to a bit of what people said about operation flashpoint, i would have missed out
on my favorite war game!

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2006, 10:57:53 am »
Ok, I'll download it then :)
Where did you get the demo? At Gamespot it downloads really slow.

c14dude

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2006, 11:36:48 am »
i first tryed it out on my 360, but then i played the pc version. i got it off of fileplanet. but i have a
subscription to it so i downloaded at my max speed.

i actually prefer the 360 version for once.

Offline Didero

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2006, 11:41:43 am »
The demo on Fileplanet is 200 MB larger than the one on Gamespot  ???
But Fileplanet usually downloads fairly quick, so I'll try that one.

c14dude

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2006, 11:43:40 am »
thats strange, the demo should be 542.9 MB total

Offline Didero

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2006, 11:55:21 am »
Gamespot says it's size is 337.3MB, Fileplanet lists it as 542.9MB... Better download the Fileplanet one then, I guess.

Offline Fade2gray

• Scramble Skipper
  • ...or just go bald
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2006, 12:04:07 pm »
I have to agree with most of the complaints here. The motion blur is extremely annoying and the controls just don't feel right.
My biggest complaint though is with the idiot who decided that a demo for a free form game should have a time limit so strict that you can't possibly do anything but compleat the rather dull missions they give you. If I'm going to buy a free form game it isn't going to be for the run 'n gun missions I could be doing in any other game. I want to EXPLORE what makes the game unique, or at least what make the genera unique.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2006, 12:19:11 pm »
PHI-1618 i suggest you still try it, you never know when you will pass up your new all time fav game.

if i had listened to a bit of what people said about operation flashpoint, i would have missed out
on my favorite war game!

Well, here's the clincher for me not to get it: I'm a stickler -- a stickler, I say -- for accurate and reasonable controls. I hate twitchy controls. The only game I have ever given a pass on lackluster controls was SotC, and that's simply because it was SotC (and I eventually got very good with the controls anyway). This style of game doesn't impress me on the whole so I was skeptical to begin with. Comments on its controls and other issues just seal the deal that it's better that I spend my time on games that I know to be good. I don't have much time to game these days, so I have to choose what I spend time with carefully.

And besides, I've a back-catalog of DS games screaming for attention. If I'm at my friend's house and he decides to download Just Cause, I'll give it a try then.

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2006, 12:35:53 pm »
I did like shooting the grenade's in the air, that was fun. I didn't mind the stunt system it's supposed to be over the top. This could be a better game if they didn't dumb it down for last gen systems. Auto lock was a pain, and the look controlls way to sensitive. It's does look pretty.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2006, 02:12:57 pm »
I don't mind it being over the top, but this was over over the top. I mean, he jumped off the tail of the helicopter, between the rotors, and safely into the pilot's seat. That's just hokey.

After playing the demo again, it's not that bad. They either somehow updated it while i was gone, or I just had more time to process the sensitivity of the controls. Either way, it felt much better. And the dumb AI seemed cooler, too. I kinda liked running up and just assaulting everyone there, without needing to worry about taking cover or anything.

All in all, second time through was muuuuuch better. My biggest gripe about the demo now is that they do not allow you to explore very much. Oh, and there are too many police/ militia trying to kill you on the roads. It's easy to kill them, but it's annoying. Therre should be some kind of disguise system like on Mercenaries. Like, if you get in a vehicle, you're diguised until you attack someone or something.

Offline Zneeezzz

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
SV: Just Cause
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2006, 02:57:29 pm »
The things I really liked about this game was the views, and the unbelive able speeds you get with the car and boats. I really liked that the player was god like and could kill everything with unlimited ammo :D
but other than that I think it sucked  :-\

I would never buy a game like this ;P
totaly not worth it IMO

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2006, 07:59:04 pm »
It'd be fun to explore for a while in the full game, but not 60 dollars worth of fun. I don't think.

It'd get stale quick. They should make a not-sucky Just Cause 2.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2006, 12:01:58 am »
I agree with pretty much everyone here.  I thought the demo was horrible, it didn't control very well, it started you in a mission with almost no instructions on what to do or how to play it.  I thought the game was supposed to be about the massive wide open spaces you can explore, but from what I can tell, you don't get to see any of that in the demo.  That was a really terrible way to advertise the game, it may have been worth getting, just for the fun of exploring, but I'm completely put off after that.

c14dude

« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2006, 03:50:12 am »
a just cause 2 is already in the works, with online play lol.

i personally think eidos should be shut down, they over stayed there welcome
after the first tomb raider and havent had anything decent since then.