Author Topic: WE HAVE NEW MODS! :D:D:D  (Read 82733 times)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: Who are the new Moderators?
« Reply #225 on: March 25, 2007, 02:49:33 pm »
Well, it was said last time that LadyM and Ovi are more the quiet sort of moderators that lead by example and quietly tidy up, and that what this forum may need is a mod who kicks ass and takes names... I guess its still pertinent.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #226 on: March 25, 2007, 02:50:55 pm »
Hydro was one of several that I thought of to submit to Steve. There were about 5-6 people on the list.

I'm not sure what problem your talking about Pat, if you want to pm me the details, that would be nice. The only problem I'm seeing lately is alot of cranky males.

I'm getting the feeling that you all don't think we are doing our jobs. I want to remind you again that we mod the way Steve wants us to mod. He is not a strict admin. Anyone who becomes a mod will have to follow the same guidelines that Ovi and I do. Steve does not want a kick ass/take names mod. A mod just can't come in and do what they want, they have to do it Steve's way. He wants us to be nice and thats what we are until action needs to be taken.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #227 on: March 25, 2007, 02:59:25 pm »
The problem has been mentioned already, Lurk just nailed it on the head.

Not every situation can be handled by just gently coercing the problem into a more workable position. Someone needs to kick ass and take names and deal out suspensions.

I'm just going off on things right now, I feel a bit better and most of that stuff I said is nothing I didn't say last time this happened... although I said it again so I think I feel strongly about at least a little of it. However I won't lose sleep if nothing is done.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 03:36:00 pm by PatMan33 »

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 25, 2007, 03:11:43 pm »
The only problem I'm seeing lately is alot of cranky males.

God, do NOT start with the whole gender supremacy thing. Neither is better than the other in any way, leave it at that.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 25, 2007, 03:20:16 pm »
Krakow, Daxx, and myself are probably the three worst choices you could make besides picking someone like Blitz.

Hey! I'd be good. I would just have to defer my moderator status to one of the others when involved in arguments with creationists and other purveyors of ignorance.

Yeah, that's what most forums I've frequented do.

If you have to post in a controversial topic on one side of an argument or another, you lose all mod priviledges for that thread. No-one can complain of mod abuse.

I for one am really against this attitude that says, "moderators should be emotionless, unthinking drones who cannot express their opinions". If you can't trust a moderator to be mature in a discussion or debate, then why are they a moderator? I'm not saying I'm incapable of being a mindless drone, but the problem is that you're basically throwing away a decent and respected member. Having worked with a lot of other moderators in the past I know that any moderator who abuses his/her position risks losing it and having the associated ignominy that goes along with losing that status, and so doesn't. There is no reason why a moderator should not be able to contribute to a discussion, and it's sad that we don't get to hear more from Ovi or LadyM.

EDIT:
Hydro is, no offence buddy, not a good candidate for being a moderator. The only reason he is respected is because he's an artist who posted a cool creature. It's not like he's demonstrated that he can be mature, sensible or whatever. I mean, it's not like there's any reason to choose him above other members.

EDIT EDIT:
I'm aware that this is Steve's forum, and it's not my place to tell him how to run it. The above is just my opinion, is all.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 03:25:53 pm by Daxx »

Offline Werechicken

• Starcross Space Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 25, 2007, 03:31:27 pm »
Hydro's a good choice because most people know him but almost no-one's had any negative experiences with him, he doesn't usually take part in the active debates and spends a fair chunk of time in the spore forum, out of all the current members he's the one who if appointed to moderator would be met with least resistance.
What have you got against intellectual midgets? They're quite smart little guys as far as i can tell.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #231 on: March 25, 2007, 03:34:23 pm »
Probably... I'm just sick of seeing the mods getting walked all over by people who don't care about the rules.

They need to start suspending people for breaking rules and not telling them to be nice. Steve can't possibly tell them how to do their jobs when he has no idea how things work around here.

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: March 25, 2007, 04:34:56 pm »
Mr.Wizard might work pretty well. He's shown before to be well versed in the ways of the internet fourms and I can already imagine the merchindising:
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: March 25, 2007, 04:36:33 pm »
I actually thought Mr. Wizard WAS a mod when I first arrived here.

Offline LadyM

• View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #234 on: March 25, 2007, 04:38:55 pm »
The only problem I'm seeing lately is alot of cranky males.

God, do NOT start with the whole gender supremacy thing. Neither is better than the other in any way, leave it at that.

Don't put words in my mouth, there is nothing about what I said that indicates gender supremacy or that one is better than the other. I simply said that the males here are cranky and I stand behind that.

You want to know how I got picked as a mod, Steve asked me. He noticed the way I acted on the forum, I don't correct spelling or grammer, I accept people for who they are and I don't pick apart every little thing they say or do wrong. I try to be helpful to new people. It's really sad to see new people come here and get jumped on by a pack of wolves. They might spam and they might do a few things they shouldn't but wouldn't it be better to help them out rather than attack them on every little thing they do? You're not going to stop the inflow of new people, there are going to be more. Then you ask them to step out of the spore forum and try the other boards so they do and they get picked on. I just wonder how many people have been chased away.

It's funny you think we are too nice and yet I'm talked about behind my back, I've been called a bitch, accused of being on a power trip and too controlling and I've had really nasty messages left in my pm box. Go figure.

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: March 25, 2007, 05:00:19 pm »
I didn't say you were a bitch and if anything my opinion is that you don't use your power enough.
On a side note, who the hell is saying that ****? I mean, if I might be brutally honest here, to my eye you're something of a non-entity. I don't know practically anything about you and I can't seem to determine your personality at all, and my gut feeling tells me that's the way you want it, which is fine - privacy is practically a luxury for me so I know not to go sticking my fingers in other people's affairs.

My thought process on you is as thus: I can't tell who you are. Therefore, I have solely my internal judgements to go off. Said judgements by their nature are usually inaccurate. Therefore, they are not to be used in words or actions involving you directly. I go purely off your actions.

Additionally, this is kind of a refreshing outburst (not a bad outburst) since now I know where you stand, though I do admit feeling a bit guilty in that I seem to have pronged you into it, so apologies if I was hasty or harsh - I do stand by my statement that gender has nothing to do with it, though. There's like.. you, Great Distance and Guilmon. The scales are too skewed to really make a judgement based on gender.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: March 25, 2007, 05:10:31 pm »
I doubt anyone in this discussion has said anything offensive to you, M, and I would be exceptionally surprised if they had.

This is sad, frankly. I accept the way Steve runs things, even if I think they could stand to be improved somewhat (hell, I wouldn't be making suggestions if I didn't think it would help). I just won't bother in the future, because it's obvious nothing's going to change.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #237 on: March 25, 2007, 05:14:06 pm »
Uhm...

I haven't heard anything out of the people this whole thing started around so I guess the argument ended a while ago.

So how about we just let it go.

Besides I think she was just trying to lighten the mood with that comment.

Everyone had some steam built up and we all decided to let it go today on an easy target. Okay, it happened, so let's just move right along. Sometimes that's what happens and someone's head gets lopped off but we might as well keep going instead of letting it stop everything.

So go back to your respective topics and do what you normally do, the day is almost over and tomorrow we can get back to carrying on like we always do.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #238 on: March 25, 2007, 05:33:52 pm »
Double posting for the sake of attention.

Perhaps some of us need to apologize for the way we acted today as well. We were pretty harsh on a few people who didn't deserve it.

I am sorry Blitz, I got a little carried away with my own personal rules and trying to get you to abide. I'm sure you are a good guy and I may have ruined that by my actions. Of course you're still on notice. ;)

Offline LadyM

• View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #239 on: March 25, 2007, 05:54:04 pm »
I've calmed down now.

@ Luminar - I appreciate your comments and no, it wasn't you who called me that. I guess the forum consisting of mostly males tends to make me think that way. The females here come and go.

@ Daxx -No one in this discussion said those things to me but they were said none the less and by more than one person. Usually in response to being called down on something. I use to keep the warnings in pms but I've started doing it a little more publicly, not sure anyone has noticed.

I think suggestions are good, I wouldn't say that things won't change but they might change slower than you think. I'm in the process of writing Steve with all the suggestions and discussions that have come up this weekend so we'll see what happens.

@ Patman - thank you for that  :)