Poll

Which Console Will You Get?

Playstation 3
X-Box 360
Nintendo Revolution
Screw Consoles, PCs rule!
I'm going to wait and see

Author Topic: Which Console Will You Get?  (Read 5835 times)

Offline Deep Lee

• Omega Racer
  • Don't quote pictures. Use words to describe them.
    • View Profile
    • DeepLee.com
Which Console Will You Get?
« on: June 05, 2005, 10:35:59 am »
Just wondering what everybody thinks they're going to get, based on what we know so far.
Personally, I'm going to wait until the prices drop before I get anything.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
Re: Which Console Will You Get?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2005, 10:38:21 am »
A PC is my choice, though maybe gouing to get something later.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2005, 10:56:01 am »
Most probably PS3 and "screw consoles PC rule".

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2005, 01:40:06 pm »
PS3 for Metal Gear Solid IV.
Of course, that's estimated to be released in 2007...  :'(

EDIT: EPIC DISAPPOINTMENT.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 09:28:26 am by Gauphastus »
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline tomberg

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2005, 03:05:59 pm »
i voted xbox360 cus it looks sweet

Offline DevilMachine

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Defender of the Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2005, 10:47:49 pm »
wait and see

Offline Jecrell

• Battlezone Captain
  • Giant Snowy Ape
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2005, 11:02:20 pm »
I never get something if I don't know what it is.
So that rules out Revolution.

I'd have to say if I had a chioce, I'd definitely buy a PS3 even if Revolution was put into the selection of choices.
Sorry Nintendo.

Offline UndeadScottsman

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2005, 02:23:00 am »
I don't count the PC as a console, as I always plan to have a PC alongside my consoles.  Anywho, I'm going to get a 360 when it comes out and then Nintendo's new console when it comes out.

Offline zaphod

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Didn't yah hear, I come in 6 packs.
    • View Profile
    • Me and my wifes little blog
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2005, 06:06:31 am »
Revolution

The other systems look like the same old stuff we are already playing.  With my Revolution and trusty PC I will be good to go.

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2005, 03:37:04 pm »
I can't afford the new consoles at this time so I guess I'll be missing another generation and sticking with my good old N64.

Offline kthx

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2005, 11:08:05 am »
As a Sony fanboy minted in the glory days of the Playstation, I'm obviously going to replace my PS2 with a shiny, white PS3. Maybe it's just brand loyaty or maybe  it's the fact that the PS3's hardware ruins the face of anything else competing with it.

Although, I also have developer loyalty to certain studios. Certainly Hideo Kojima and Polyphony are staying with Sony. But since it looks like Square's going to go big with the X360, I may purchase one of those at some point.
kthxbye

Offline Sturek

• Microvision Master
  • If we can dream it, we can do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2005, 12:52:24 pm »
Revolution.

1. I'm a Nintendo fanboy. (and proud of it ::))
2. It's probably the cheapest.
3. Retro gaming !!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2005, 01:23:30 pm by Sturek »
Life, don't talk to me about life.
                 -Marvin, the paranoid android

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2005, 12:58:20 pm »

2. It's the cheapest.

You got that information from where?

PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.

Offline Sturek

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2005, 01:22:31 pm »
Well ok, it is not fact, but everyone's pretty sure....
Engadget/Joystiq says PS3 is going to be around 400$ maybe up to 500$ depending on the drive problems, 360 299$ and rev around 200$....

I mean, Nintendo made the cheapest consoles for the last generation....
They won't change their strategy I think. They sell the GC for 99 Euros over here and still make profit !

After all, from what we know, they try to avoid expensive parts:
- no next-gen drive
- no harddrive
- not that powerful specs

So I am pretty sure that the Rev will be the cheapest......
But you're right, it is not 100% sure....
« Last Edit: June 07, 2005, 01:24:30 pm by Sturek »

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2005, 01:29:32 pm »
Well ok, it is not fact, but everyone's pretty sure....
Engadget/Joystiq says PS3 is going to be around 400$ maybe up to 500$ depending on the drive problems, 360 299$ and rev around 200$....

Sony is hinting it will be aroung 300$ like the other playstations.

I mean, Nintendo made the cheapest consoles for the last generation....
They won't change their strategy I think. They sell the GC for 99 Euros over here and still make profit !

Aren't they promising a lot of new things like the downloadable games and gamespy online gaming?

After all, from what we know, they try to avoid expensive parts:
- no next-gen drive
- no harddrive
- not that powerful specs

True.
How are you gonna store the downloaded games then?
Aren't they saying it is gonna be pretty powerfull? I am not sure I was swearing at reggie all the time.

So I am pretty sure that the Rev will be the cheapest......
But you're right, it is not 100% sure....

None of us are before we go to shop and buy it.

Offline Sturek

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2005, 02:36:08 pm »
Sony is hinting it will be aroung 300$ like the other playstations.

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000490044560/
You're right, they are going to get it close to the PS and PS2, but thats around 370$...

The pricing is very complicated I think, I mean we talk about the Japanese prices here...
Over here in Europe, the prices just get even higher...I mean a GC costs 99$ in the US but 99€ where I live...
That's just not fair ;)

Aren't they promising a lot of new things like the downloadable games and gamespy online gaming?

Yes they are and I think that you'll have to pay a bit for most downloadable games, or you get them with new games...
They are going to finance some of the Internet related stuff with the downloadable games I think.....
I hope that they're not going to use Ads to finance the Gamespy stuff...that'd be horrible....
After all, I don't think that these features really raise the price of the console....

True.
How are you gonna store the downloaded games then?
Aren't they saying it is gonna be pretty powerfull? I am not sure I was swearing at reggie all the time.

The downloaded games are going to be stored on the 512 MB internal Flash RAM and SD Cards (I think CF too but I'm not sure about that)...
They say it is powerful enough to compete, but I mean the GC is too and it still is cheap.....
I think the Rev is not going to cost more than 250$ more like 200$.....the only thing that might change my mind is a really expensive controller.....

http://nintendoinsider.com/site/EEEZuAypVuTuOJPzyb.php
This article is pretty interesting.
It basically says that if Nintendo goes on like that and uses the same strategy as with the GC, by the next-next generation Sony and MS might be too weak to prevent Nintendo from becoming Number 1 again....
(I must warn you though I think that article is a bit biased but the main idea is correct...in another article the author claims that Nintendo is the most successful company of all three as it has sold more systems (he combines handheld and home-console markets..I think that's not really fair) than MS or Sony)

None of us are before we go to shop and buy it.

True....can't wait :D

btw thanks for a nice discussion :D I hate those flamewars over at Engadget...

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2005, 03:05:02 pm »

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000490044560/
You're right, they are going to get it close to the PS and PS2, but thats around 370$...

The pricing is very complicated I think, I mean we talk about the Japanese prices here...
Over here in Europe, the prices just get even higher...I mean a GC costs 99$ in the US but 99 where I live...
That's just not fair ;)

Yeah for some reason the console makers don't like us...

Yes they are and I think that you'll have to pay a bit for most downloadable games, or you get them with new games...
They are going to finance some of the Internet related stuff with the downloadable games I think.....
I hope that they're not going to use Ads to finance the Gamespy stuff...that'd be horrible....
After all, I don't think that these features really raise the price of the console....

I am pretty sure I saw a artical where nintendo said the old games would cost some thing - not sure though

Edit: Yep http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/06/07/news_6127066.html

The downloaded games are going to be stored on the 512 MB internal Flash RAM and SD Cards (I think CF too but I'm not sure about that)...
They say it is powerful enough to compete, but I mean the GC is too and it still is cheap.....
I think the Rev is not going to cost more than 250$ more like 200$.....the only thing that might change my mind is a really expensive controller.....

Cool.
Yeah but you never really know with nintendo.
It may but I would be surprised if it did.

It basically says that if Nintendo goes on like that and uses the same strategy as with the GC, by the next-next generation Sony and MS might be too weak to prevent Nintendo from becoming Number 1 again....
(I must warn you though I think that article is a bit biased but the main idea is correct...in another article the author claims that Nintendo is the most successful company of all three as it has sold more systems (he combines handheld and home-console markets..I think that's not really fair) than MS or Sony)

Doubt it.

True....can't wait :D

btw thanks for a nice discussion :D I hate those flamewars over at Engadget...

Any time any where... With internet connection.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2005, 03:08:22 pm by Cool AN »

Offline Sturek

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2005, 03:50:17 pm »

Doubt it.

You're probably right......I mean, Sony and MS have soooo much money....even if they gave their consoles away for free they won't have any real problems ;D (well not really but they still got a LOT of money)
But I think it is interesting that Nintendo's profits are so high and even if you just look at the GC alone they still make money (not much though probably :D)
I think the only real information in this article is that Nintendo is doing very good and is not going to be the next Sega at least not within the next generation.....

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2005, 05:01:37 am »

Doubt it.

I think Nintendo planned on selling 50 million Gamecubes by 2005... they have sold aroung 20 million right now so they must have done some thing right.

You're probably right......I mean, Sony and MS have soooo much money....even if they gave their consoles away for free they won't have any real problems ;D (well not really but they still got a LOT of money)
But I think it is interesting that Nintendo's profits are so high and even if you just look at the GC alone they still make money (not much though probably :D)
I think the only real information in this article is that Nintendo is doing very good and is not going to be the next Sega at least not within the next generation.....