Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress - A Roguelike and much, much more  (Read 292217 times)

Offline Kishmond

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Alfalfa Mainframe
    • View Profile
    • I'll Eat Your Brains
Re: Dwarf Fortress - A Roguelike and much, much more
« Reply #1170 on: March 12, 2009, 09:57:51 am »
That's my favorite part about Dwarf Fortress. For example in my current fort I decided to follow the life of one random baby born in in my fort. I named her Juli. Her father (a hunter) was attacked by a fire imp and is permanently unconscious with a mangled spine. Being the daughter of a champion wrestler she has lost two other siblings to snatchers or invaders. Her youngest sibling recently had his entire left arm cut off during an ambush, and he was still a baby.

So much goes on that you don't notice unless you look.
Yeah, [Kishmond] came back from Africa, but the ponies have him now.

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: March 12, 2009, 10:35:04 am »
There already is a 3-d ver-

Oh.  You mean with models and variable perspective and stuff?  You've got a good decade to wait before a machine can even handle that.

Not really. You could just dress this game up with a 3-D engine, make a better interface and optimize it a bit and it'd run fine on any machine. Graphics don't take much CPU power (which is what this game currently needs to run) but rather use the GPU, and current graphics technology is much more than sufficient to have hundreds or thousands of objects on screen at the same time with no big problem.

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: March 12, 2009, 10:37:50 am »
Yeah. Most RTS games easily pull off drawing hundreds of characters on screen. If you've got a reasonably modern computer, it shouldn't pose a problem.

For Toady to code it, however, that will take a good decade, at the very least ;)

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: March 12, 2009, 11:15:43 am »
Along with all the animations to make it not look stupid in 3-d.

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: March 12, 2009, 01:07:58 pm »
Yeah. Most RTS games easily pull off drawing hundreds of characters on screen. If you've got a reasonably modern computer, it shouldn't pose a problem.

For Toady to code it, however, that will take a good decade, at the very least ;)

Yes, I don't expect him to do it, but I think another company could come along and rebuild the game or something similar from scratch.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: March 12, 2009, 03:46:52 pm »
But it wouldn't be free...

Online Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #1176 on: March 12, 2009, 04:27:30 pm »
And also Toady has stated at length that he doesn't want to bother with that. Something about being beholden to a third party.

Hey, anyone going to their meetup in Seattle?
It sucks for me 'cause I gotta go back to work in May and stuff, besides the fact that I don't have a passport, driver's license, etc..
It's like.. two hours drive south of here. Argh.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: March 12, 2009, 05:20:24 pm »
And also Toady has stated at length that he doesn't want to bother with that. Something about being beholden to a third party.

Hey, anyone going to their meetup in Seattle?
It sucks for me 'cause I gotta go back to work in May and stuff, besides the fact that I don't have a passport, driver's license, etc..
It's like.. two hours drive south of here. Argh.

trains

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Mae

• Moon Patroller
  • NOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: March 12, 2009, 05:26:20 pm »
planes

cookie if the next guy says "not automobiles"

Offline B.A.S.

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • WAR GSP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: March 12, 2009, 05:27:44 pm »
Man Cannon
Your Friendly Canadian Fighter :)
"It is defeat that turns bone to flint, gristle to muscle- it is defeat that makes men invincible"- Henry Ward Beecher
Inkling:Durgon only comes by when he is taking a break from beating up people and animals

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: March 12, 2009, 05:30:47 pm »
Double post, but whatever.
Gonna post this story I just read.

Epicness

:'(

Lord of the rings eat your heart out.

Online Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #1181 on: March 13, 2009, 01:16:09 am »
I just popped into the first page by accident there. I spotted this quote from Krakow Sam.
Eurgh! Disgusting graphics alright... come on, Ivan had rudimentary graphics and it was free too. I think theyre just doing it out of nostalgia

It seemed to be a pretty common sentiment back then.
I remember reading a Let's Play game by.. Samog? I think. He named the dwarves after forum members.

Checking in on that thread now and then, I remember thinking how unfathomable it was that people would enjoy something so basic looking and fugly. "I don't mind NES graphics even, but this is just insane."

And here we are.

So, guys. Did Dwarf Fortress help, even in some small way, to round out your concept of good gaming? Do you feel better for the experience?

It's sad that there's only one chance for a first impression and that's it. I'll never get that feeling of excitement and discovery back again.  :'(
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: March 13, 2009, 01:22:20 am »
Eh, it's still fun and exciting when you put yourself into tough situations. Like building a fortress inside an actual glacier. Or building a fortress entirely in the air, save for a single primary mining shaft for excavations. I remember the first time I went to a glacier, I forgot to bring logs to build beds. Had to resort to dismantling the wagon to build a few. Plus it was incredibly cold. I was lucky enough to find a soil layer to farm though... I can't imagine trying to live without getting lucky. Funnest fortress I ever had, complete with the sudden realization that I didn't know what I was getting into at all.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 01:24:54 am by Razonatair »

Online Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #1183 on: March 13, 2009, 01:34:09 am »
Yeah, I started my last fort next to a chasm. I was testing out smelter cheats (where you use the smelter reactions to create adamantine or coke or diamonds out of nothing).
Regardless, it was a very hard time for me because immediately three of my guys were injured.

There was no soil either. I had to use one miner to design my fort from the solid rock. It took forever.

I quit playing though. Kind of totally lost interest even though I was having more fun than ever, and not because of the cheating.
You're very right that putting yourself into a tough site is a lot of fun. I spent most of my time genning worlds in search of the perfect site (magma, HFS, underground river, brook, iron, flux, etc.).

Really rather dull...
But yeah, makes me wish sieges were more devastating and deadly.
Just need the dwarves to stop freaking out on the wrong people. I'd like it if dwarves seeing their friends die, instead of going into berserk rage and killing other dwarves (???), that they focus their rage at the goblin menace.
Or whoever the local enemy is. I mean.. if my family was murdered, I'd want revenge. I wouldn't go over to my neighbors house and kill their family.

Yes, I'm aware that it's an alpha.
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: March 13, 2009, 01:36:41 am »
Insane dwarves are funny though. I'd like to chain them up and use them as traps. Unfortunately, I've never gotten a goblin seige before.  :'(