Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress - A Roguelike and much, much more  (Read 400221 times)

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress - A Roguelike and much, much more
« Reply #255 on: February 10, 2008, 02:12:11 pm »
I've had countless ambushes and snatchers, and the most casualties I've gotten came from an ill tempered horse...  Oh, and my expedition leader died after the first immigration wave while opening up the lava flow for the forge, and his replacement had no relevant skills.  Fortunately, it only took an elven caravan to get him the appraiser skill.  Then the horse mauled him and he's been in bed with a broken leg ever since, leaving me without an appraiser unless he makes a miraculous recovery.

I love this game.
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline B.A.S.

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • WAR GSP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 10, 2008, 04:59:32 pm »
Im finally starting to understand this game, although its still pretty complex and I find myself going back to look at the directions from time to time. Im still having trouble controlling Dwarves somewhat but the Graphics enhancer really helped me understand just what everything was.
Your Friendly Canadian Fighter :)
"It is defeat that turns bone to flint, gristle to muscle- it is defeat that makes men invincible"- Henry Ward Beecher
Inkling:Durgon only comes by when he is taking a break from beating up people and animals

Offline Werechicken

• Starcross Space Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 10, 2008, 05:43:21 pm »
yeah I know what you mean about the horse, a giant cave swallow slaughtered about 10 of my dwarfs before I finally managed to kill it by turning a wood cutter into a recruit as it was chasing him, the damned thing had even gotten a full title from all the dwarf killing!

also it doesn't help that unless they're recruits or fortress guards these dwarfs have the backbone of a mollusk!
What have you got against intellectual midgets? They're quite smart little guys as far as i can tell.

Offline B.A.S.

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • WAR GSP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 10, 2008, 05:56:29 pm »
Aye these Dwarves are pretty weak :(
"It is defeat that turns bone to flint, gristle to muscle- it is defeat that makes men invincible"- Henry Ward Beecher
Inkling:Durgon only comes by when he is taking a break from beating up people and animals

Offline Werechicken

• Starcross Space Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 10, 2008, 06:05:00 pm »
Aye these Dwarves are pretty weak :(
Are you kidding that wood cutter killed the swallow in about 4 seconds once I drafted his cowardly arse!
What have you got against intellectual midgets? They're quite smart little guys as far as i can tell.

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 10, 2008, 08:05:57 pm »
Right now I have about 100+ Dwarves living in a boring peace. I'm seriously anxiously awaiting the next goblin siege. To pass the time, I've taken to constructing a gigantic underground city. I went down a few levels and am clearing out an enormous two-story cavern. Then, I'm going to build a micro-city complete with shops, housing, wells, and other necessities. It should contain itself (with imported food, though). My military and defenses are pretty good too. I've got traps around my castle-like entrance, a military with a few legendaries and elites, and soon a water tower. Hopefully things will get exciting soon. Maybe I'll go for some adamantine once I'm sure I'm up to it.

What are your experiences fighting the denizens of lava?

Offline B.A.S.

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • WAR GSP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 10, 2008, 10:19:03 pm »
Do the sieges or armies become more frequent/larger the better your Dwarf City gets?

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
  • Do they speak English in What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 10, 2008, 10:54:41 pm »
I tried making my first fortress yesterday.  I picked a nice field between a river and a mountain.  The dwaves got out of the wagon and did nothing for awhile.  I kept telling the miners to dig a staircase down, but they wouldn't do it.  Finally, I told one to dig an up/down staircase and he began to work.  Apparently, they were standing right above an underground lake because once he broke through the earth, he fell in and drowned.  The other dwarves jumped in after him and drowned too.

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 10, 2008, 11:01:57 pm »
Yeah, it must have been wetlands. I did the same thing, however a few levels lower. I struck an aquifer and flooded that level of the mine as I was trying to dig for a rock layer.

Offline Mae

• Moon Patroller
  • NOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 11, 2008, 05:51:00 am »
The other dwarves jumped in after him and drowned too.

Rofl.

I built a steam cannon, but levers have a delay, so it fried my woodcutters.

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 11, 2008, 09:13:15 am »
So, I'm playing in adventure mode right now with an axedwarf, and pretty much all the towns hate me now because I killed a shopkeeper, and the mayor attacked me and I killed him too..

Anyway, I got an iron arrow stuck in the lower left arm..and I dunno how to get it out. Any tips?
They're collectible! Sorta...

Offline Werechicken

• Starcross Space Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 11, 2008, 11:43:22 am »
Anyway, I got an iron arrow stuck in the lower left arm..and I dunno how to get it out. Any tips?
Don't eat yellow snow, oh, and never wear orange.

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 11, 2008, 01:10:51 pm »
Heh..Yahoo...
http://videogames.yahoo.com/feature/playing-for-free/1183474-2
"Losing is fun," proclaims Dwarf Fortress, and is it ever right. Although it looks like someone vomited punctuation marks all over your monitor, and learning the game can take weeks, this indie-developed fortress management game is by far the most fun you can have with a dwarf. Once you've accidentally flooded your fortress with lava, cracked open the entrance to Hell, or had your entire dwarf population munched by a bloodthirsty carp, we're sure you'll agree. Take it from us: once a major publisher snaps this game up and releases it on the DS - and it's bound to happen - its developers will be millionaires.."

DS? Please no...I like it free. And it's one developer
They're collectible! Sorta...

Offline Brandonazz

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • Everything ends.
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #268 on: February 11, 2008, 01:31:28 pm »
Why not a PC version with a modernized interface?  :-*

Also, I've been trying to play this game, and all I've done so far is carve out a cavern and smooth all the floors.

Offline Werechicken

• Starcross Space Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 11, 2008, 08:26:00 pm »
I'd like to see this taken to a publisher, although I doubt the DS would be able to do justice to the game, and I think the interface would have to be practically lobotomized before it could even be considered for it.

That said a PC version, with full graphics and maybe more people to help the current developers get everything they want in would be a major hit. I mean the game is already good to go, more or less, all that'd need to be done is graphics and maybe a kinder interface.