Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress - A Roguelike and much, much more  (Read 320913 times)

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress - A Roguelike and much, much more
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2006, 07:45:29 pm »
I got a couple questions. I havent downloaded the game yet but it sounds fun. Here are the questions:

1. Is this game text-based? IS there graphics or is it all text?

2. What are the requirements? I have a decent PC with 512MB of RAM and a decent graphics card. I got a Windows XP 2003. Will the game run?

3. Any viruses in the file? I don't want my computuer to die!

4. ESRB rating? T or M? I got a little brother and I wanna know if he can watch over my shoulder. He is 13.

Thanks!  ;D

4:I'm 14, i'm ok with it...but yeah, depictions (all text) of violence in adventure mode.

And make sure you read the help files and read some of the wiki. It's a bunch of help. and looking at key bindings is good too.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2006, 11:09:37 pm »
And make sure you read the help files and read some of the wiki. It's a bunch of help. and looking at key bindings is good too.

He's not kidding, either. I'm normally pretty good with interfaces, but I spent ages trying to work out the most basic things, because the control scheme is really unintuitive.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2007, 05:37:21 pm »
sorry to revive this topic (you should thank me because this is a great game) but sorry...
im posting because i had some questions about the game....ive tried the wiki etc. but they dont offer me the help i need.
here are teh questions:
how do i kil those damn cows/horses. im flooded with farm animals and my hunters are not intrested in them and my butchers just walk past them so how the hel do i kil those things...

and secondly...how make the furnace work...it says i need coke or something but where can i get that?

would really help if you guys could elp me out  ;)

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2007, 05:42:01 pm »
Animals: Press Z to bring up the status screen, then go to the 'animals' subscreen. then just designate the ones you want for slaughter (you'll need a butchers shop and a Dwarf with the butchery labour enabled)

Furnaces: Youll need to build a wood frunace, and designate it to burn wood to make charcoal. better yet, dig deep, past the cave river and the chasm, youll get to the lava river. Then you can build magma smelters and forges to make stuff without needing fuel. Make sure you defend them well with traps. The river spawns various fire monsters (dont worry, weapon traps will kill them)
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2007, 05:50:57 pm »
thanks that helps allot...

anyways is it normal that rondom npc`s come allong to your neigbourhood and kil some unicorns....and then they die spling blood al over your river?

That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2007, 05:58:13 pm »
They were probably caravan guards that came in with a load of mandrill meat and plump helmets from the mountainhomes

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2007, 08:53:45 am »
i need help with farming...how do floodgates work, just wondering? Something with the channels...?

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2007, 09:54:48 am »
http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Irrigation

The wiki is your friend, my friend. Use it wisely.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2007, 11:24:17 am »
and how do i use itams that dont have like..q commands? if i place a kabinet its there and it doesnt have any commands so i cant remove it ...another question how do i remove items from inventory? i had a guy have a fey mood and he made a super mechanism....and he is holding it at al times making him really slow...

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2007, 11:29:19 am »
If q doest work then t is usually what you need.

As for the second question: You dont. That would be controlling the Dwarfs directly, which would rather detract from the game in my opinion. Apparently an artifact carrying dwarf will hold on to it for five years or until they die, whichever is sooner. Ive never seen one pass the five year mark and drop it though.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2007, 11:32:06 am »
so i should be happy he didnt make a gold life size elephant statue?

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2007, 12:36:06 pm »
Yes. Yes you should.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2007, 02:53:21 pm »
another thing: i got nobles...i gave m everything they want but til now there stil pretty useles...and the only attack that i had where 3 frogmen and i have found the magma waaaaay back in time so maybe i have a peaceful mountain.....

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 03, 2007, 03:09:50 pm »
Same thing happened to me. Inside it's peaceful... But then the goblins start coming *shudders as he is reminded of the day a goblin horde came inside and killed at least 20 dwarves*

Any tips for building up an army? I've decided I need to place dozens of traps on the entrance, but has anyone else gotten this far?

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 03, 2007, 04:17:09 pm »
wel once i got some immigrants who where marksdwarves so they protect me pretty well...and now i have another 15 immigrants that brings me up to 52 dwarfs and i only have 36 beds :S i think i need a horde of goblins because its so messy in the main hall i cant see what anybody is doing because they al walk trough eachother....i might post some screens later

and what i hate the most is that a cant make a magma furnace because i havnt found steel yet...(do i have to place the furnace beside the magma because the magma river is a lot of screens away from civilazation