Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress - A Roguelike and much, much more  (Read 294451 times)

Offline Khaz-Rhoz-Zek

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress - A Roguelike and much, much more
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2006, 08:41:02 pm »
ToadyOne, the creator, intends on reducing the world generation times signifigantly soon.

Offline Morslok

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2006, 09:47:36 pm »
By the way, the creator actually considered the fact that some people might not be able to, or want to take the time to, compile their own worlds, that's why there are several available for download.

This is the link to the file for the newest world. 7.6MB
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/worlds/i_anur.zip
Signed, Morslok

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2006, 04:32:49 pm »
I really like this, but it loses its appeal once you start to get immigrants that do little more than suck up your food stores. I just liked it better with a handful of dwarves that you knew inside out, that worked really efficiently and that you could keep good track of. The first year plays out great, but once your numbers start to grow I think it just loses its edge. With smaller numbers I got to invest more of myself into them, like watching little stories unfold. Yeah, its all just ASCII stuff, but you actually care about your core squad, when a single death can seriously set you back, as opposed to having a hive of dwarves, who all end up being pretty disposable. My first flood, which they all managed to survive (even a cat, who was trapped in the butchers corpse storage, who got to the one unflooded tile in the corner). My poor crippled tinkerer (craftman+engineer) who had a mangled lower torso after getting 'interrupted' by an elephant, who after a season of being fed from a pouch, managed to stay conscious for long enough to stagger out of bed to construct a bridge he seemed pretty set on, despite lapsing back into unconsciousness like clockwork, every half-minute, even though I turned off all his assigned duties. My first frogman ambush, which was defended by a single farmer who went into a rage after they splattered his pet dog on a wall (chasing the last one into the river on a broken leg). My ranger-in-training, stalking a deer whilst unknowingly being stalked by a pack of wolves, ended up clubbing them to death with her crossbow, then crawled home through the rain. The cat who caught a rat, and took it into the temporary living quarters where everyone was asleep, which started to smell after a little while, and left everyone feeling nausious when they woke up.

Oh, how sentimental I get over ASCII characters...
Still, for things that im certain arent pre-scripted, its great how things can play out. Interpretation required.
So, uh, what was my original point again? Oh yeah. Dont do drugs. Stay in school.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2006, 07:53:05 pm »
Yeah this is what happens if u do drugs you to identify with letters on your keyboard.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2006, 07:25:49 am »
He's right. It is better with a small hardcore... when the first wave of immigrants arrives and its twice as large as your orignal population the game changes. You have to start frantically trying to provide enough food for them all, not to mention living space, and at any given time about 20 of them are idle because they all came with totally useless skills... I honestly dont need the skills of 6 animal trainers and wood-crafters. Who even bothers with wood crafts anyway?
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2006, 06:38:01 pm »
Woodcrafters can make chairs and beds for the umpteen hundred immigrants you eventually get. I wonder if the game designer will ever put a "lock borders" button on there, or the ability to construct a multi-billion dollar high tech fence complete with pressure traps and the like.  ;)

Offline HolsteinCow

• Vanguard Venturer
  • NOT A TROLL
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2006, 08:23:57 pm »
Woodcrafters can make chairs and beds for the umpteen hundred immigrants you eventually get. I wonder if the game designer will ever put a "lock borders" button on there, or the ability to construct a multi-billion dollar high tech fence complete with pressure traps and the like.  ;)

until then you'll have to settle with death camps

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2006, 08:24:26 am »
I've found that assigning all the (otherwise useless) immigrants to a military squad, and using them as a suicide wrestling blitz team for food gathering works wonders. Those who die are no longer sucking up resources, those who survive a few encounters might actually be worth training and posting as guards. Its also pretty good to turn off the hauling and cleaning duties of your main core of dwarves, then use two of the newcomers for nothing other than item hauling. Once your fortress is cleaned up and you have your stockpiles in order, you can set them to do a spot of fishing at the underground lake until your makers have made a mess again.

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2006, 09:00:56 am »
Wow....i'm generating a world right now, and I can tell this is gonna take a while...

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2006, 09:22:03 am »

Nope, thats carpenters. Woodcrafters make crappy trinkets out of wood for trading with humans.

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2006, 10:04:32 am »
this...confuses me.

How do i get food? I've figured out mining...but that doesn't really help me...

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2006, 06:39:43 am »

This cage will not be seen by anyone but its maker until The King arrives from the mountainhomes!

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2006, 03:02:37 pm »
Seriously though. My dwarves mine.. and that's it. i think they'll starve. Of course, i only ran the game for 15 minutes...

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2006, 09:08:50 pm »
this...confuses me.

How do i get food? I've figured out mining...but that doesn't really help me...
Reading up on some of this stuff will really help you out:
http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Main_Page

You'll need to restart your fort a good few times to get the swing of things (and keep botching attempts until your fortress finally holds together). You can set someone to hunt for food, but you'd need a butchers shop to shred it before you eat (before the corpse rots too). You could set up a farm plot and plant seeds, harvesting them after a while automatically, which is your main source of food later on, but this requires muddy ground to plant in (which means either farming only after the underground river floods, or setting up floodgates attached to levers and so forth). You could trade for a little extra food from the autumn trader caravan in the first year, but they'll only bring so much to buy (which you'll still need to trade for with stuff you make).

The link will help, but you'll have to do a bit of reading. Make use of the search bar, and perhaps look up some of the in-game help too.

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2006, 02:49:44 pm »
Holy crap, ironyx3.

So, my miner randomly gets taken in the secretive mood, and he proceeds to build an obsidian door. Which he carries around with him all the time. Apparently Mining is a crafting skill, because he got boosted to legendary in it. Anyway, because he was legendary in mining, I wanted to see how well he could use a pick in combat. I put him in his own little squad and he immediately got owned by the nearest elephant, due to having the stupid door weighing him down. Not only that, but engraved on the door was the image of an elephant striking down a dwarf.

(In case you missed the irony, here it is. He wouldn't have fought the elephant if he hadn't had the door. Even if he had fought one, he might have one because he had the door with him. And he pretty much engraved his own death into the door.)
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.