Author Topic: Board games?  (Read 30855 times)

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
Re: Board games?
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2005, 05:52:15 am »
Thanks again Daxx, I am looking foward to your results. The reason I gave it check rules was I thought it would make the game last longer, but for three-player I can see why that might not work.

Again, let me know how it goes.

Wish I were there.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2005, 09:08:11 am »
Okay, here are the results for the first playtest session, with comments from the other playtesters, and my comments:

Initial Observations (Before Gameplay):

Appears to owe more to Chess than Draughts, but the triangular board gives an interesting twist. Piece arrangement and types simple and functional. Ruler piece appears to be very vulnerable initially. Centre of the board could be key to the game - much like Chess - due to ranged pieces. Opening play might be slow but could leave room for maneuvering. Board large enough for maneuver. Initial piece setup conductive to conflict.

Number of games played: 4

I wanted to play a few more but we were pushed for time.

FP/SP victory: First Player 2 / Second Player 2

No discernable first mover advantage that can't be countered by a competant second player, as far as we can tell. First player can force the game if his opponent does not anticipate moves. In this respect, the game is similar to Chess in that if the two players are equally matched, then the first player might win more games.

Strategies Tried:

Opening:
1. Defenders rapidly vacating the centre to allow attackers to reach the centre quickly
2. Defenders on sides moved so Defenders in centre can protect ruler
3. Advancing one defender in front of attackers to take the centre of the board

Mid-Game:
1. Attackers lining up to force exchanges to clear defenders off the board
2. Attackers picking off defenders
3. Defenders advancing in front of protective array of attackers

Closing:
1. Lining up attackers in order to punch through defences and take the ruler
2. Sneaking an attacker past defences to take ruler

Success of Strategies:
O1: Appears to be effective if opposing player is slow to start
O2: Was not particularly successful, ended up jamming those attackers in the centre
O3: Enabled domination of centre at expense of mobility of attackers
M1: Generally successful when it could be arranged without interference
M2: Useful when 'forking' pieces as in Chess
M3: Forced retreat of enemy attackers, but started to break down when opposing player countered with defenders of her own
C1: Worked when it could be arranged. Very obvious, and was prevented several times before the victory came
C2: Was tried in all bar the last game. Failed, because opposing players were too observant.

Comments:
A competant Chess player should have no trouble picking this game up. The board and the pieces (especially the method of capture for the defenders) make the game particularly interesting. All players involved expressed interest at having another session, possibly involving three player variant. Strategies were easy to arrange and great subtlety was possible. Game has great promise. The ruler's jump move to stop being threatened wasn't used, but could see how it might be useful. Ruler very unprotected unless steps are taken. Defensive potential of pieces as useful as offensive pieces.

Conclusion:
A well put together game. Easily a possiblilty for sale.

Is there anything else you want to know?

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2005, 01:42:45 pm »
Wow. When can I play?  ;)

Thank you so much for your help. The only question I have is how on Earth would I sell it? I don't have any clue at how to go about marketing a game.

As I have said before, I made this game a long time ago. I never thought it would come to anything, but now I see that maybe it is possible.

So was all the feedback good?  Was there anything that didn't seem to work to well? From what you said it looks like it provides unique gaming strategies.

About how long di it take to complete a game? Was it ever repetitive? Is it a game you could find yourself playing?

Again thank you for all of your help.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2005, 01:59:55 pm »
Thank you so much for your help. The only question I have is how on Earth would I sell it? I don't have any clue at how to go about marketing a game.

That's a more detailed question. I can help you with it, in my experience the best bet is to go through an agent, but check this out http://www.amherstlodge.com/games/reference/gameinvented.htm. This article is brilliant (though not all of it will necessarily apply to you).

So was all the feedback good?  Was there anything that didn't seem to work to well? From what you said it looks like it provides unique gaming strategies.

Mostly good, two of the guys were talking about your 'get out of jail' move (sorry, but the name stuck) and they were saying it's nice but the game is quite simple and doesn't need complicating. One other comment was that it is a little slow paced for the casual gamer, at least at the start - in the games we played the situation flared up quickly later in the game. This is kind of moderated by the fact that movement is simple. Another comment (though I think I mentioned this one) was that it's easy to pick up if you're a chess player, but it might be more tricky for a non-chess player; unfortunately we all play chess so it was hard to check that one!

About how long di it take to complete a game? Was it ever repetitive? Is it a game you could find yourself playing?

Not too long, our quickest was I think 15 mins and the longest took nearly 40 (but that was quite an involved game, I would estimate around 20-25 mins on average - although again, we're seasoned game players and there isn't much downtime whilst we think about moves)

It didn't get repetitive, because the game was quite emergent. It's like Chess in that respect, because with two players competing and trying to each out-do the other there are so many permutations that a casual player would be unlikely to come across the same situation repeatedly. Youn tend to find this is the case with most games like this.

It is definately a game I personally would find myself playing again, it was enjoyable to play. I thought the novelty value might wear off after a couple of games, but it's still  interesting. Still, again, I'm not a brilliant example, but that's my opinion.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2005, 02:04:25 pm »
Thanks again, I am reading the article now.

Wow. I read the article and it is a bit overwhelming. I think I'll have to let it sink in a little more.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2005, 03:05:22 pm by Oviraptor »

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2005, 02:55:35 pm »
So, Ovi, what do you think? I'll publish it if you don't, it's quite promising.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2005, 02:57:57 pm »
I would love to publish it myself, but where am I going to do it?

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2005, 04:20:23 pm »
It's always fun to be a witness to the start of what might be something really big...I'd recommend that you do something to make sure nobody steals it, and soon.
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2005, 05:49:09 am »
Illuminati: it's not a board game per se, but plays like one.  You use cards to extend your power base and complete your goals for world domination.  It's very tongue-in-cheek.  You have south american nazis, international communism, people putting flourine in the water, etc.  Also very deep, except I can't find anyone to play it with because the rules are so complicated.
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2005, 07:36:25 am »
I liked Risk, I think. At least the copy of the PC version that I borrowed from my friend and conveniently forgot to give back...

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Nic

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2005, 07:58:51 pm »
Oviraptor, I really like your game idea. I was wondering if I could turn it into a flash game? All credit would go to you of course. I warn you though, I'm not quite as experianced as I like to think I am, so it might not be done for a while. I've been looking for a project to work on and I like the concept.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2005, 08:01:42 pm »
Well, I suppose if all credit goes to me, but just to warn you, if I ever get it published (which I really want to do) I'm not sure what would happen to your flash.

Offline Nic

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2005, 10:38:09 am »
Well, there are flash versions of many popular board games. Whatever you decide to name it, I'll just have to pick a different name.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2005, 10:58:19 am »
You can use Chesskers, since I'm pretty sure I can't use it.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2005, 06:53:48 am »
I liked Risk, I think. At least the copy of the PC version that I borrowed from my friend and conveniently forgot to give back...

Never Never Never ever mention that game again. Ever.

That game is the worst thing to happen to the board games market. Ever.

On a side note, self publishing is hard. Believe me, if you think you can do it successfully in less than 1000 (looking to almost $2000 in the US), you're wrong. You have to produce copies, and then convince stores to take them, which is hard enough work. Advertising/Marketing takes a lot of money, and going to trade shows even more.
But good luck if you're willing to spend.

On another note, I'm back...