Say yes to show your support for the underwater creatures

Yes
135 (82.3%)
No
9 (5.5%)
Don't Mind
20 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 163

Author Topic: Underwater Creature's Petition!  (Read 17659 times)

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
Underwater Creature's Petition!
« on: August 09, 2006, 04:01:28 pm »
Show your support for inclusion of underwater creature's in the main game. This way we can show EA that underwater is very important to us and its exclusion, if they do decide against it, will not go unnoticed. With luck, we can influence their decision to include underwater.

Think of the creatures!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 04:22:28 pm by stuckin2004 »

Offline gutwrencher89

• Star Castle Cadet
  • NO!
    • View Profile
Re: Underwater Creature's Petition!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 04:05:18 pm »
You know he didn't even confirm that underwater creatures are out, right?  He only said that its on the cusp, which doesnt mean its out yet.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 04:07:01 pm »
You know he didn't even confirm that underwater creatures are out, right?  He only said that its on the cusp, which doesnt mean its out yet.

All the more reason to actively support their inclusion.

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 04:07:42 pm »
Of course I know that. However, since it is on the cusp it stands the risk of being cut. Think of it this way. It has a 50% chance of being cut now. If there is enough positive feedback the chance would lower to 30% or something.

Offline gutwrencher89

• Star Castle Cadet
  • NO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 04:09:21 pm »
I understand that you want underwater creatures included, and I don't say that this thread is pointless, but its misleading because you make it sound like underwater is definitely out.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 04:11:30 pm »
Show your support for inclusion of underwater creature's in the main game. This way we can show EA that underwater is very important to us and its exclusion will not go unnoticed. With luck, we can influence their decision to include underwater.

Think of the creatures!

How does this make it sound like they are definitely cut?

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 04:12:40 pm »
I understand that you want underwater creatures included, and I don't say that this thread is pointless, but its misleading because you make it sound like underwater is definitely out.

I tried editing my post to make it sound like it is on the cusp, but I can't. I already said "With luck, we can influence their decision to include underwater creatures" Please, if you have any suggestions on how I may word it differently, please suggest them.

Offline gutwrencher89

• Star Castle Cadet
  • NO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 04:18:28 pm »
This way we can show EA that underwater is very important to us and its exclusion will not go unnoticed

In this sentence, you make it sound like they are excluding it, and you don't want it to go unnoticed.  I don't know, maybe my mind was influenced by another thread I read just before commenting on it where everyone was freaking out and acted like it was totally out, I just wanted everyone to know that the reason you guys are making this is because it is being debated and is not something out that you want.

Also, sorry, I didn't even notice the "dont care" option on the poll and said no.  Honestly, if underwater creatures were in the game, it would be awesome.  I just don't want it to take away from the land aspect, and wouldn't mind if they weren't in game.

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 04:21:45 pm »
You can remove your vote.  ;)

Ok, I think I know how to make that one part better. Thanks.

Offline gutwrencher89

• Star Castle Cadet
  • NO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 04:35:17 pm »
Ok, I've taken this thread off topic enough right now... now on topic.

I think it would be bad to make a transfer from the cell level to land without water in between, but I also wouldn't mind it if they took out underwater cities.  I think you should be able to go underwater for as long as you want in the creature stage, but in order to move on to the tribe stage, you should have to move onto land.  Then, if someone wanted to, they could live underwater for most of the creature stage, and when they want to move on, they must grow legs and feet to walk onto land.

Offline Protoavis

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2006, 05:33:08 pm »
Yeah um petition's don't work unless every individual bombards their email, postal address, whatever other contact....one big list of names means nothing it's deleted in a second...bombardment is noticed though because it's annoying :)
"Oh mummy, the bad man said bad things, please mummy...mummy" said the 20+ yr old man.

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2006, 06:03:10 pm »
My impression of approximately 23.5% of the GamingSteve forum members:

"OMG!! UNDERWATER CIVS!! THIS IS GOING TO BE SO COOL!!!"
Will: Yeah, we're probably gonna get rid of underwater creatures and civs.
"LAWL GOOD CHOICE NOW THE REST OF THE GAME WILL BE BETTER I HATED THE WHOLE UNDERWATER THING ANYWAY!!1"

That said, I really don't think this thread is going to make one lick of difference to Maxis's (EA's?) decision on whether or not to cut aquatic creatures.

Offline papaboom

• Stargate Superstar
  • ..these go to 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2006, 06:14:30 pm »

I would like to argue the case for the Underwater Phase as an expansion.

By leaving the underwater phase to an expansion you can focus on the unique nature of the aquatic world. My take is that the initial underwater shots from the GDC video were rather dull - and seemed superfluous to the core experience of the game. But if this stage were given a chance to develop a little longer - a few years - an expansion could be made that really draws out the distinct experience of ocean life.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 06:18:24 pm by papaboom »

werechicken

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2006, 06:22:56 pm »

"LAWL GOOD CHOICE NOW THE REST OF THE GAME WILL BE BETTER I HATED THE WHOLE UNDERWATER THING ANYWAY!!1"

That said, I really don't think this thread is going to make one lick of difference to Maxis's (EA's?) decision on whether or not to cut aquatic creatures.
I you changed that last line to; Okay then, if that means the game isn't going to be even further delayed then we can deal with it, you'd actually be telling the truth as it stands you're just sounding holier than thou

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2006, 06:37:10 pm »

I you changed that last line to; Okay then, if that means the game isn't going to be even further delayed then we can deal with it, you'd actually be telling the truth as it stands you're just sounding holier than thou
Well that may be, but I'd gladly tolerate yet more delays over an incomplete game. If I sound holier than thou, it's because all the sticking up for this removing-the-water-creatures business smacks of fanboyism. After all, if we're prepared to blindly defend any decision Maxis makes, we could end up with a new Black and White on our hands, with a lot of the things we were so excited about in the beginning becoming "less important" than a reasonably early release date and maybe some "tighter gameplay", whatever that means.

And of course if they're "on the cusp" of cutting out underwater life, they're already planning on implementing it in an expansion pack. That's one of the things that really gets my goat about this.

I mean, why release the whole game in one go when they can just release it in multiple parts over the course of about a year?  Oh shi- that's what they did with Black and White, too!! :o