Author Topic: Money in Spore  (Read 19134 times)

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
Money in Spore
« on: March 18, 2005, 08:08:37 am »
Ah, one thing I did forget to mention is that during the demo I did see the ""Simoleon" symbol (which is the unit of currency in The Sims). So I would imagine that will be used in Spore as the "unit of currency". However, he didn't show how you earned or spent these.

Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
  • Returned from the grave, now with more immunities!
    • View Profile
Re: Money in Spore
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 08:11:00 am »
Ah, I am intrigued :)

oh yeah, (sorry off topic i just remembered this) anyone remember a certain game where you had a planet and you could make the creatures on said planet, and control all tha stuff. It did kinda bad, i think it was called SimEarth or was it SimPlanet  ;) Think maybe Will has it right this time?
-Just like Gaming Steve all of my ideas, suggestions, and comments are merely edjucated guesses. These are based on prior experience and current released info.-

Offline craigp

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
    • Perkwiki
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 08:11:55 am »
Re: Money; Yes he did, although not explicitly. He said things about settling other planets with colonies that would 'make money', and 'once you had enough money, you could upgrade your space ship'. Also, he said that if you earned enough, you could 'upgrade your hut to a better hut'.

The inclusion of shopping systems also seems to indicate each of those buildings, robots, and what-have-you have costs.

Presumably, there's also a limit on generational mutation enforced by some kind of currency you 'earn' by 'eating'.

-Craig

Offline Mika Ears

• Lunar Lander Leader
  • Masterharper, Planeswalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 08:43:03 am »
It was SimEarth. And it wasn't that bad a game. :P

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 08:48:01 am »
I didn't say it was bad, i said it did bad as in sold badly. Kinda like SimPark or SimFarm, both didn't sell to well but they where fun games.
-Just like Gaming Steve all of my ideas, suggestions, and comments are merely edjucated guesses. These are based on prior experience and current released info.-

Offline Jayce

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2005, 09:55:04 am »
I imagine that building stuff and developing stuff will cost money (the non living things like buildings etc) but not sure how you will earn money, maybe from defeating other spores but that would then mean forcing combat into the game.

Offline happydan20

• Venture Conqueror
  • Discovered the "everything syndrome."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2005, 10:17:02 am »
it could be a simple money over time thing, that would be in keeping with the whole evolution theme.

Although i think its been pretty well mentioned that you WILL have to eat animals, WILL have to kill things.  Remember, plantlife was hinted at.

What if you could simply gather things and sell them?  Or trade with other spore?

I know this is unlikely but what if the online server thing could act as a store? In that I could charge for my creature and you could buy it, earning me money?  They like exansaion packs, what about booster packs where you buy a set of items for 5 bucks or something (real currency).

Just some ideas
I survived the flood of 2008 and all I got was this crappy homelessness.

Offline The Evil Blob

• Missile Commander
  • "Enchanted creature gets +8/+8 and has Trample"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2005, 07:30:16 pm »
Interesting ideas, but my initial thoughts were more along the lines of money being used for construction.
Why do you park on a driveway and drive on a parkway?

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2005, 07:33:22 pm »
Oh, one thing I was wondering about is if we will have any resource management. Like during the tirbal, city, and planet Eras. I would really enjoy having to harvest the "tree" objects I created, in order to use them to make buildings. Or hunting other creatures for hide.

Offline happydan20

• Venture Conqueror
  • Discovered the "everything syndrome."
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2005, 07:59:47 pm »
steve (I think said in a podcast that he saw the simoleans sign (money in sims) in the interface.

Maybe (if you wanna be paranoid) the whole interface was used from the sims in order to have one and the one they use inluding the money be totally different.
I survived the flood of 2008 and all I got was this crappy homelessness.

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2005, 02:18:27 am »
I've been wondering this too... because by the sound of it you just "play God" and give your creatures everything for pretty much no cost, but apparently this isn't so.  Currency is good i suppose, it would stop people just making these ridiculously high-tech cities without really having to lift a finger.  Am still interested as to how this will be implemented though.

Offline CustodianV131

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2005, 03:02:01 am »
Think you'll need to gather say: "creation points" first by eating later by conquering your neighbors and so on. Those will then allow you to build new stuff and add to existing creations.

They might well be using the Sims interface as a placeholder and the sim currency as a counter.

Calling it money would feel a bit strange in this game I think.
Do drop by on my Spore page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/CustodianV131
Comments verrrry welcome! Rating my creatures is much appreciated, but be honest please!

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2005, 03:04:06 am »
Hmm, can't see Will Wright forcing people to go into combat.  Maybe you can accumulate "creation points" by using diplomacy?  Maybe you can MORE creation points by using diplomacy or alternative methods of living with enemies.  Peaceful co-existence anyone? 

Offline Agent Zero

• Boot Hill Bandit
  • Previously known as Agent Z
    • View Profile
    • Adventures of a Teenage Game Master
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2005, 03:06:09 am »
Peaceful co-existence anyone?

What?! Peace?! Surely you are joking! As video gamers we have been exposed to so much violence that it's the only thing we know and totally controls our brains! ALL OTHER CREATURES MUST DIE!  ::)

I think Will will make sure that you can play through the whole game without killing anything. It's the kinda thing he does.
Quote from: Scipion
replayability ends where your imagination does...or when your computer stops working

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2005, 03:11:22 am »
Hm you will have to kill when you come out of the sea i think, but my point was that he stressed there WOULD be other ways to get round fighting people during city building etc.