Author Topic: Game design Doc  (Read 2057 times)

Offline TotalSandwich

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Tersonal Pext?
    • View Profile
Game design Doc
« on: August 04, 2006, 06:37:00 pm »
Ok I did a search and I didn't find any threads like this, though it seems a pretty rich idea...

Here you post your ideas for games that could be made. Go into as much detail as you want.

I, for example, would like to see a game that had squad base tactics with 'plays' attached to commands. Like plays in american football. Everyone has seen those silly little diagrams with arrows and x's and o's. If you could have a editor, you could make your own plays for the mebers of your squad and attatch them to your commands. For example, instead of simply telling your men to advance, you could have some of them provide cover fire from behind obstacles while the other men advance. Or they could all sally forth at once. In the editor, you could create all sorts of crazy tactics. The editor would also have to be flexible to accomadate for different enviroments.It would be neat to see sixty four player action which each one commanding a four player squad. This would bring FPS games much closer to accounting for some sense of epic scale. I would also like too see a game with ridicous powers, not just bullet time to dodge bullets but shooting thmm ouf of the air or catching them iin your teeth, rambo style.

The moon is a sickle cell; it will kill you in time.

Offline sgore

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
Re: Game design Doc
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 07:08:11 pm »
Something very similar right here: http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=1142.msg24616#msg24616
But I don't blame you. It's a semi-old thread and you did say you searched... ;)

Anyway I think I've pretty much been laying out mine here: http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=763.msg182307#msg182307   ;D

And a "play" based tactics game sounds interesting...

What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 07:21:09 pm »
If any of you have been watching Forum Games recently, a really cool online 'quick' game idea would be Samog's clash of the Cells. Its turn based, but I think it would go by quickly and it sounded pretty cool.

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 08:55:12 pm »
It would be neat to see sixty four player action which each one commanding a four player squad. This would bring FPS games much closer to accounting for some sense of epic scale.
The user-made patches for Savage: The Battle for Newerth let the team's commander (and, I think, his up to three officers) draw on a map. The lines show up on the minimap of everyone fighting on the ground (up to 31 ground players per team). Considering the upcoming sequel's emphasis on squads and tactics, it'll probably either be there or be added quickly.
If any of you have been watching Forum Games recently, a really cool online 'quick' game idea would be Samog's clash of the Cells. Its turn based, but I think it would go by quickly and it sounded pretty cool.
Gratzer thank you please. If anyone can code and is up to it, it doesn't seem too complex to me. Except for that whole multiplayer thing.
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 09:07:28 pm »
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=1142.msg24845#msg24845
http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=4606.msg138939#msg138939

Thanks, Sgore. I was pretty sure my idea wasn't original but I couldn't remember where I heard it.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 09:32:23 am »
Gratzer thank you please. If anyone can code and is up to it, it doesn't seem too complex to me. Except for that whole multiplayer thing.

Hmm, maybe I can make it a project in my Computer Science class o_O. Or just do it with GameMaker, it's got built in multiplayer.

Offline Ogianres

• Video Pinball Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006, 01:48:38 pm »
I got my idea for this game from Will Wright's speech on procedural generation.
Basically it's a completely open zombie-survival game. You control a person who has to survive a zombie outbreak by whatever means necessary, and has to worry about food, water, and shelter that can withstand zombie attacks. The thing that makes this idea somewhat original is that everything is randomly generated. Your person's physique, mental abilities, occupation and skills, place they live etc. are all randomly generated. So one time you start a new game you might have a somewhat overweight engineer who lives in an apartment in Oregon. He can operate radios and can fix electrical circuitry, but due to his weight he can not run too fast or long before he tires out and has to walk. Oregon is also a somewhat ideal area to live, being a temperate rainy area. However if you don't want him to live there you can try and escape somewhere else, but you have to worry about gas for a car, whether or not your character can operate another form of transportation etc.
The origin of the outbreak is also random. Basically the world is divided into a bunch of areas, and the first zombie may randomly appear in any of these areas, which affects how long it takes for the infection to reach where you live.
The game would allow for a lot of possibilities. You might be stuck with an obese janitor, or you just might get the President of the U.S. The zombie outbreak might star halfway around the world, or it could start in your next-door neighbor's house.
One other thing is that your character does not know about the zombie outbreak until it gets to an area near him. If you start the game before the outbreak occurs, then you have to play it similar to a dumbed-down Sims, where you go to work, go shopping and other normal stuff. The only advantage is that you, the player, knows that a zombie outbreak will occur, so you can go shopping somewhere for useful tools and items while you still have time.

Offline Secret|Service

• Rigel Rescuer
  • FOXHOUND
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2006, 07:11:14 pm »
A massive multiplayer war setting, with a backdrop of organized armies in war, people being able to work their way up to officer ranks or just become enlistes and NCO's. The combatants play in a FPS mode, getting orders from higher officers attacking strategic targets, with a squad based movement mechanic. Higher officers sit in their bases and play more of a RTS/Civ-like political game, giving orders and planning their political carrers moving up the ranks, The constant movement of RVR-like play style, the ability to sack cities and the ability to conduct converops missions.
I know this game is not very realistic right now, but with the right people, time, and money, I'm sure something of the similar kind, a mixture os old geners to form a new gener, is certainly possible and win a lot of praise.

I posted this is one of my old threads.
I'm on a highway to hell.

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2006, 07:13:06 pm »
That was going to be the theme of Eschaton: Chain of Command. If you've never heard of it, that's because it was canceled early on.
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline Dragon_Reborn

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
    • AxI Studios
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2006, 06:27:07 pm »
Ogainres, you stole my idea.  I always had this idea after I read the Zombie Survival Guide (read it if you haven't yet, best satire EVER) and I thought what if there was an MMOFPS like that.  There would be 3 factions and the entire city would be randomly generated.  As the city (read server) gets too large, a quarter to half the player's immigrate and create a new city so you wouldn't have the problem of having too many servers.  Factions: The Military, you would train in bases, mix between engineer/fighters.  You would rise through the ranks and could actually become a Commander.  At the start one of the GM's would be it.  Citizens, they would create bands of militia and protect themselves.  They are the all around average group.  Then there are the Gangs, they are the fighter/vehicle people.  Beginning of the Game: You would start in the 1 of the 3 Green zones.  The East, West and Countryside encampments.  These would be gank free and you would choose which faction to join.  Maybe talk to some protesters against the military or meet a military recruiter or go outside and meet some gangs.  You would choose a building as a base.  If you die, you get 5 free life tokens, but after that it's 25 cents each life.  The game would be subscription free.  This is just a random assortment of all my ideas so if it seems scatterbrained, not my fault.  I may find the paper i wrote up on the idea later, right now i gotta sleep.
Luke Smith of 1up Yours: "The road the Fanatsy land is paved in virgin's blood."

JOIN AXISTUDIO'S FORUMS!