Author Topic: How gas giant civilizations -could- function  (Read 21172 times)

Offline purplelava

• Boot Hill Bandit
  • it tastes better then you'd think.
    • View Profile
Re: How gas giant civilizations -could- function
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2006, 12:35:16 pm »
it would work out.  of course, you'd have to choose a air bladder or not, and if you picked one, you'd fly around, and if not, you'd live within the reef of plants.

All that waiting and that's what i hatch?

Offline Hectonkhyres

• Scramble Skipper
  • Transcendent Agony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2006, 08:51:28 pm »
Or you could be some sort of winged, condor-like organism capable of eating and sleeping on the fly. I am sure a big gas giant would have more than its fare share of thermals and updrafts to ride day in and day out.

Or you could swim like a fish in the deepest part of the atmosphere, where there is hardly any light and the air is so dense that it behaves like water.

There is no shortage of possibilities for life within gas giants. They are at least as wide and varied as those on a ball of rock like ours.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 08:53:16 pm by Hectonkhyres »

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2006, 09:16:58 pm »
1. Pressure is not a problem. You will not be crushed as long as this is the environment you are evolved for. Your internal pressure will closely match external pressure and thus cancel each other out. Think deep-sea fish.
Going back to the story that I mentioned ("Not Final!" the Wiki article on which is worthless and covers maybe a third of the story) if a species evolved around the core, whatever they built to get out of the planet would probably just explode before it reached the vacuum. Even if they did manage to leave, interacting with stuff on or from a different type of planet would be damn hard.
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline Hectonkhyres

• Scramble Skipper
  • Transcendent Agony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2006, 10:10:49 pm »
If you hadn't noticed, we have a nasty habit of going pop when exposed to the airless void of outer space. The air is ripped from our lungs, our blood begins to boil, and our flesh either freezes of cooks depending on if we are in direct sunlight or not. Even a minor hole or tear in one of our spacecraft tends to make the crew dead real fast. I don't see something from the bottom of the sea or the deapths of a jovian planet's atmosphere having it much worse than us.

As for problems interacting with other planets, again I fail to see a difference between their position and theirs. Humans can't walk around naked on Venus or Mars, or Jupiter for that matter. So we send probes and men in containment suits with waldos. We build bubble cities, out of buckeyfibers if nothing else. Aliens from the deapths of a jovian world will have to do the same sort of thing, I suppose.

At the very worse, the aliens might have to spend an extra hundred years subjective time researching stronger materials for their ship hulls and extraplanetary habitations. I doubt it will be much of a problem.

Also note that a civilization is not eternally bound to the reefs in question. There is always the opportunity to genetically engineer local plants and animals into living habitations and facilities (if the spore engine will allow that sort of thing) or harvest the hydrogen bladders to fill permanent, artificial balloons. Later in your civilization's advancement, you could always research antigrav.

I know this is all so very unlikely. Consider it daydreaming if you will, but I feel such things as I have mentioned would immensely enrich Spore.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 10:19:05 pm by Hectonkhyres »

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2006, 02:02:13 am »
you flisch, did you get the name and avatar from that  bbc proram that was on a while ago about life in 200 million years because you got the name wrong, its Flish as a mixture of flying and fish.

ROFL
not in the german translation xD

lets see:
fliegend + fisch = Flisch  :P
There is, of course, a difference between having a laugh with someone, and having a laugh at their expense

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2006, 04:31:51 am »
bbc programs are on in germany?
Never mind your own business.

Offline Slife

• Akalabeth Addict
  • A Duke of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2006, 01:33:31 pm »
If you hadn't noticed, we have a nasty habit of going pop when exposed to the airless void of outer space. The air is ripped from our lungs, our blood begins to boil, and our flesh either freezes of cooks depending on if we are in direct sunlight or not. Even a minor hole or tear in one of our spacecraft tends to make the crew dead real fast. I don't see something from the bottom of the sea or the deapths of a jovian planet's atmosphere having it much worse than us.

Air is compressable.  Water isn't.

Also,

All is number -Pythagoras

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2006, 04:02:05 pm »
 :( ...................
Everything is compressible.
Compress water enough, and the atoms dissaccociate. Compress it more, and the hydrogen fuses together. (The core of Jupiter is thought to be a hydrogen metal) Little more, and BOOOM. Explosive fusion reaction. Fun for the whole city.
(Actually, I'm none too sure about that last part ((Boom)), its just what I've been told)

Offline Samog

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • objectivists are dumb
    • View Profile
    • -
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2006, 03:00:34 pm »

If you hadn't noticed, the air pressure on Jupiter is a wee bit higher than what we have. Millions of times higher, in fact. Imagine sending up an unmanned probe made of solid metal and having it evaporate.
"Fine. Don't believe me. I'm not lying. all your laziness which you mistake for something funney is driving me insane, quit fooling around!  dude this is just wrong, very wrong. reality does not consist of constrained language. go lock this thread malt. I love the payment."4MOD

Offline Dragon_Reborn

• Dragster Diehard
    • View Profile
    • AxI Studios
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2006, 04:31:14 pm »
Anybody who loves Sci Fi, read Manta's Gift, it's a pretty good read
Luke Smith of 1up Yours: "The road the Fanatsy land is paved in virgin's blood."

JOIN AXISTUDIO'S FORUMS!

Offline ollj

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • "procedurally generated"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2006, 05:18:16 pm »
Found a few Exoplanets, most of them are gas giants, or just very big, most of them are not "THAT" far away, still no sings for exolife, no ozone, no radio.

Offline Chickenman297

• Scramble Skipper
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2006, 11:12:31 pm »
Air is compressable.  Water isn't.
Air is highly compressable and can be done easily and noticably with only the force of your hand.  Water being a liquid is also compressable, but it is not noticable under a small force.  Given enough force, a liquid can be compressed so much that it changes its state of matter.  Solids can also be compressed.  If they couldn't, there would be no industrial revolution, no bridges, no billiards etc.
Book, book, book

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2006, 08:18:10 am »
Again, just looking at the starts of this thread, if you use our own species and technology as a starting point, of course its going to seem impossible. The beauty of it is, if an alien species were to somehow come to life in a place far different than our Earth, they probably wouldnt be much like us. Conditions that would kill us, might be perfect for them. Similarly, if we were to use a little imagination, an advanced civilisation on such a gas-giant might laugh and say how life on a planet like ours would be impossible because -insert reasons why Earth would be inhabitable to gas-giant species here-.

Offline Brutus

• Ice Climber
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2006, 10:30:58 am »
they found microbes on the end of nuclear rods, life can exist anywhere
Never mind your own business.

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile