Author Topic: Movies about time travel  (Read 11157 times)

Offline nikolai

• Breakout Battler
  • "Please don't chop me up"
    • View Profile
Re: Movies about time travel
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2005, 12:15:27 pm »
i always liked the back to the future series, i thought they did it well but the third one got real repeditive and Doc Brown acts and looks like Willy Wonka in that last scene

but...

there was always one thing that got me and if someone could explain it i'd be greatful. In Part II Old Bif steals the time machine and travels back to the 1950's changes the past (which would alter the future instantly) but is able to return to where(when) Marty and Doc Brown are... which shouldnt be possible because Old Biff created a different reality...   \

???  so confused

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2005, 12:52:27 pm »
i always liked the back to the future series, i thought they did it well but the third one got real repeditive and Doc Brown acts and looks like Willy Wonka in that last scene

but...

there was always one thing that got me and if someone could explain it i'd be greatful. In Part II Old Bif steals the time machine and travels back to the 1950's changes the past (which would alter the future instantly) but is able to return to where(when) Marty and Doc Brown are... which shouldnt be possible because Old Biff created a different reality... \

??? so confused

Because it's a movie, sometimes it is more important to entertain the audience than to be logical.

Offline GameManic

• Dragster Diehard
  • I can't let you leave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2005, 02:36:55 pm »
I love Groundhog Day.  I like how in some of the science fiction tv shows they do a groundhog day style episode.
"Listen, I mean that from my knowledge of the world that I see around me, I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence."
-Richard Feynman

Offline pfellah

• Contributor
  • Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2005, 08:39:42 pm »
I don't know... I've never been a big fan of time travel movies -- at least not ones where the time travel takes an active role in the plot. By that I mean, in the original Terminator, there's some time travel to set the plot in motion and then things pretty much stay grounded in real time. As opposed to something like the third Harry Potter or the Star Trek crossover movie with Picard and Kirk together where they monkey with time as a plot device. Usually it's just poorly done and strikes me as a way to get out of a corner when people can't think of anything more genuinely imaginative.

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2005, 11:21:49 pm »
"Why are you wearing that stupid Rabbit suit?"

"Why are you wearing that stupid Man suit?"

The best thing about David Lucas is that he always plays the same character in any project he does, and yet it never gets old. Really I didn't find the basic plot too hard to understand, it's just the ramifications that get complicated. The time travel paradoxes in Harry Potter or Terminator are much simpler. Harry Potter DOES live, so he CAN go back and save himself. The world where the humans live DOES exist, so the soldier CAN go back and save Sarah Connor. It's a self-reinforcing time loop.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2006, 06:00:19 pm by Leng »
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2005, 07:14:41 pm »

but...

there was always one thing that got me and if someone could explain it i'd be greatful. In Part II Old Bif steals the time machine and travels back to the 1950's changes the past (which would alter the future instantly) but is able to return to where(when) Marty and Doc Brown are... which shouldnt be possible because Old Biff created a different reality... \

??? so confused

When he comes back, doesn't he keel over in pain fpr some reason? Maybe the effect is happening but just not as fast as it should...
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2005, 07:19:48 pm »
http://www.flashplayer.com/animation/lookwhoslooking.html

That's my favorite.

"in the year 2005, every movie will be a sequel."

"Grab my hand and we will go to the ye*BZZT*"

Spore countdowns: USA Europe