Author Topic: Movies about time travel  (Read 11145 times)

Offline GameManic

• Dragster Diehard
  • I can't let you leave.
    • View Profile
Movies about time travel
« on: June 02, 2005, 07:51:35 pm »
I think that there aren't enough big blockbuster time travel movies.  The most famous one is probably Back to the Future and its sequels and of course there are others and some more unknown ones like 12 Monkeys.  I think that there should be more movies on time travel that get you thinking and that are filled with interesting plots.  Do you all know of any good time travel movies that you would all recomend or know of any promising movies currently in production.

"Listen, I mean that from my knowledge of the world that I see around me, I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence."
-Richard Feynman

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
Re: Movies about time travel
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 09:23:57 pm »
Sure, make sure to check out Time After Time where H.G. Wells stalks Jack the Ripper in the year 1979. Not only is this a pretty good movie, but you laugh out loud when you see all the groovy stuff from the late 70s.

Of course what is really sad is that I actually remember seeing this movie ... in the theater. Me getting old!
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 02:47:08 pm »
Yeah shame Back To The Future series is worse than the new Star Wars.

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 03:23:03 pm »

You know that many film writing schools actually use the Back to the Future script (only the first one) as the "perfect" movie script. The first film is actually a fairly complex movie if you take a look at it (time-travel, the same character used in multiple locations and times, a mixture of comedy, action, adventure, and so on). Yeah, it's not rocket science but for the "average" person to follow everything perfectly it really is an amazing script.

Plus, if you read the original script ... you wouldn't believe it if you tried. It has been awhile since I read it but I believe it was a time-traveling Coke machine or something similar. It was a total mess and not a fun movie at all.
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline GameManic

• Dragster Diehard
  • I can't let you leave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005, 03:49:47 pm »
I enjoy the Back to the Future movies, but I must admit it is because there isn't anything else like it from the big screen.  I'd would love to see another comples trilogy on the subject of time travel and how interesting a plot can come out of that.
"Listen, I mean that from my knowledge of the world that I see around me, I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence."
-Richard Feynman

Offline Jayce

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2005, 11:14:23 pm »

That's blasphemy, I enjoyed that series far more then Starwars (Ep I - III anyway). It's not fair to compare old movies against new ones anyway as technology has moved on in leaps and bounds meaning a film from 20 years ago just doesn't look as good.

I am always amused by my TV Guide's star ratings for films that appear on the box, the older the film the worse the rating seems to be yet you can guarantee at the time of release it was the best film ever. The critics for some reason compare all films to each other regardless of their time of release which is just wrong. A great film shouldn't be rated worse the older it gets.

Sorry, this is a little OT.

Isn't there a new one (ish) called the Time Machine that was released a year or so ago?

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2005, 11:19:45 pm »
What I Love the BttF seires how dare you. *shakes fist in anger*

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2005, 09:06:28 am »
Back to the Future rules.  Just laying that out there.  As for really awesome time travel movies we need to remember Time Bandits, one of my childhood films.  I think this explains a little too much about my current mental state.  Midgets, lasers, the devil, half of Monty Python and Sean Connery: For what more can anyone ask? -leeman

PS: check out the stylish use of grammar.

Offline Cosmo

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2005, 01:20:11 am »
Isn't there a new one (ish) called the Time Machine that was released a year or so ago?

Yeah there has been a few versions of this movie released and they all suck, expecially if you like the book.

...Blackadder Back and Forth.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2005, 07:18:11 am »
The thing I liked about the Back To The Future movies was the continuity. So many movies screw up continuity that it just is unfun. In BTTF there are all these little details that are affected by the time travel plot-line.

Ok, this one hurts, but another time-travel movie that poppeed in to my head - Ice Pirates! ACK!

-Lego

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2005, 12:17:16 pm »
Got to watch back to the future some day, got the special edcition with all the movies for christmas last year.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2005, 11:18:14 am »
Back to the Future series goes hand in hand with Lord of the Rings and The Matrix to be the third trilogy where i've fallen asleep in each film.  Back to the Future should be watched when ill, after you've taken a Night Nurse - it'll send you right off to sleep in no time.

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2005, 06:27:13 am »
You good sir have no soul.

Thats right I'm having a go at someone for expressing an opinion wanna fight about it.

Offline GameManic

• Dragster Diehard
  • I can't let you leave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2005, 10:52:40 pm »
Back to the Future series goes hand in hand with Lord of the Rings and The Matrix to be the third trilogy where i've fallen asleep in each film. Back to the Future should be watched when ill, after you've taken a Night Nurse - it'll send you right off to sleep in no time.

I love the lord of the rings.  :'(
-Richard Feynman

Offline s0lidmetal

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2005, 04:23:06 am »
I thought every aspect of Back to The Future was perfect, besides the time travel.

I've never seen a movie that did realistic time travel.  Movies have to be entertaining, not necessarily realistic, you know?

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2005, 04:27:44 am »
I thought every aspect of Back to The Future was perfect, besides the time travel.

I've never seen a movie that did realistic time travel. Movies have to be entertaining, not necessarily realistic, you know?

It's hard to do a realistic time travel movie, when no one knows what would really happen or how they could feasibly do it.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2005, 01:09:49 pm »
I suppose you can count the Terminator Movies. The ultimate battle to stop something unstoppable.

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
  • I am Will Wright's complete lack of suprise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2005, 08:24:52 pm »
Time travelers 1964 best movie other than the time machine/ H.G. Wells version of the same era.
http://retroflicks.com/shop/store/00016.html
Saw it on AMC a while back.
"6.4 Um's per minute" or "The Speed of Wright

An adventurer in the land of who gives a ****

The idea is to mix one ingredient that will burn very fast with a second ingredient that will supply enough oxygen for that burning. This burns so fast, it's an explosion.

Offline DevilMachine

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Defender of the Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2005, 09:14:02 pm »
There was a movie released about 3 or 4 years ago called 'The Time Machine' starring Guy Pearce. Pretty average movie, but yeah.

Offline GameManic

• Dragster Diehard
  • I can't let you leave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2005, 02:12:59 pm »
I didn't really like that one.
-Richard Feynman

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2005, 04:53:10 pm »
Time Machine was fun but not a brilliant movie.  I am suspicious that the future human race will be hot, english speaking latinas.  -leeman

Offline s0lidmetal

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2005, 11:19:09 pm »
I hate movies that try to be smart by adding a time paradox like Harry Potter and the Terminator, but when you think about it you notice it's impossible.

Offline GameManic

• Dragster Diehard
  • I can't let you leave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2005, 11:52:33 pm »
Terminator isn't really a time paradox because they kept changing the way things were supposed to turn out: it's just that the people who knew about it in the past weren't the ones that could stop SkyNet from taking over.

With Harry Potter that would be a time paradox because he saved himself but since its part of the book and its explained well I wouldn't count that as a bad thing for the plot.
-Richard Feynman

Offline s0lidmetal

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2005, 09:23:44 am »
Think about the Terminator 1.  OK the plot is interesting, but think about it.  The robot is sent back in time first.  Then the human.  But time travel doesn't work real time.  As soon as you send something back in time everything in the current world becomes altered by the affects of that time travel immediately (theoretically).  If that movie followed the rules of time travel (also known as logic) the robot would have killed O'Conner and rendered the whole franchise useless.

As for Harry Potter, how can you save yourself if your dead?  If a dementor rapes you, you're dead.  So how did Harry Patter manage to escape and then go back in time to save himself from being raped? 

Again, time travel was done poorly by these stories to compensate for the story, and to look "smart".

Offline GameManic

• Dragster Diehard
  • I can't let you leave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2005, 11:49:04 am »
Well with Harry Potter it follows the rules that every thing in the time is unchangeable becasue even people who time travel are part of the grand scheme of things.  So you could argue that all that happened there had meant been already played out and will play out forever.

With Terminator yeah it does break its own rules in a way.
-Richard Feynman

Offline ThaddeusMcMonster

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2005, 08:28:37 pm »
One of the best time travel movies I've seen is Donnie Darko.  If you haven't seen it (and its a fairly obscure movie) definately find it.  Its awesome.

Offline DevilMachine

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Defender of the Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2005, 08:30:59 pm »
yes. Donnie Darko is one of my favourite movies, everytime I watch it I pick up on something else, and I love the music in it!

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2005, 09:29:09 am »
I never understood Donnie Darko.  Everyone says it's so great... and yes while it is entertaining, it goes straight over my head.  If someone could clear up what the hell happens at the end (i must've watched it 4+ times to try to fathom it), i would be much obliged.  If it contains spoilers then so as not to ruin it for others say so.  Cheers =).

Offline merridian

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2005, 02:35:56 pm »
Think about the Terminator 1. OK the plot is interesting, but think about it. The robot is sent back in time first. Then the human. But time travel doesn't work real time. As soon as you send something back in time everything in the current world becomes altered by the affects of that time travel immediately (theoretically). If that movie followed the rules of time travel (also known as logic) the robot would have killed O'Conner and rendered the whole franchise useless.

As for Harry Potter, how can you save yourself if your dead? If a dementor rapes you, you're dead. So how did Harry Patter manage to escape and then go back in time to save himself from being raped?

Again, time travel was done poorly by these stories to compensate for the story, and to look "smart".

The only thing is that time travel theory is impossible to predict because nobody has time travelled yet. The best, and most conflicting, theories i have read on time travel are in the new Science of Discworld novel Darwin's Watch, read it if you can there is also some stuff about FTL travel and wormholes and of course evolution.

Any way back to good time travel movies. Donnie Darko very good, me and my freind think we figured it out, was a while ago but i think i might put in a post about our findings at a later date. The original Time Machine movie, a classic, Back to the Future, I can think of more but none really that i think were that good, more might spring to mind later
FATE DOESN'T HANG ON A WRONG OR RIGHT CHOICE, FORTUNE DEPENDS ON THE TONE OF THE VOICE

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2005, 03:38:39 am »
Do you count Groundhog day seeing as how Bill Murry lived the same day again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again.

Offline nikolai

• Breakout Battler
  • "Please don't chop me up"
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2005, 12:15:27 pm »
i always liked the back to the future series, i thought they did it well but the third one got real repeditive and Doc Brown acts and looks like Willy Wonka in that last scene

but...

there was always one thing that got me and if someone could explain it i'd be greatful. In Part II Old Bif steals the time machine and travels back to the 1950's changes the past (which would alter the future instantly) but is able to return to where(when) Marty and Doc Brown are... which shouldnt be possible because Old Biff created a different reality...   \

???  so confused

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2005, 12:52:27 pm »
i always liked the back to the future series, i thought they did it well but the third one got real repeditive and Doc Brown acts and looks like Willy Wonka in that last scene

but...

there was always one thing that got me and if someone could explain it i'd be greatful. In Part II Old Bif steals the time machine and travels back to the 1950's changes the past (which would alter the future instantly) but is able to return to where(when) Marty and Doc Brown are... which shouldnt be possible because Old Biff created a different reality... \

??? so confused

Because it's a movie, sometimes it is more important to entertain the audience than to be logical.

Offline GameManic

• Dragster Diehard
  • I can't let you leave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2005, 02:36:55 pm »
I love Groundhog Day.  I like how in some of the science fiction tv shows they do a groundhog day style episode.
-Richard Feynman

Offline pfellah

• Contributor
  • Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2005, 08:39:42 pm »
I don't know... I've never been a big fan of time travel movies -- at least not ones where the time travel takes an active role in the plot. By that I mean, in the original Terminator, there's some time travel to set the plot in motion and then things pretty much stay grounded in real time. As opposed to something like the third Harry Potter or the Star Trek crossover movie with Picard and Kirk together where they monkey with time as a plot device. Usually it's just poorly done and strikes me as a way to get out of a corner when people can't think of anything more genuinely imaginative.

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2005, 11:21:49 pm »
"Why are you wearing that stupid Rabbit suit?"

"Why are you wearing that stupid Man suit?"

The best thing about David Lucas is that he always plays the same character in any project he does, and yet it never gets old. Really I didn't find the basic plot too hard to understand, it's just the ramifications that get complicated. The time travel paradoxes in Harry Potter or Terminator are much simpler. Harry Potter DOES live, so he CAN go back and save himself. The world where the humans live DOES exist, so the soldier CAN go back and save Sarah Connor. It's a self-reinforcing time loop.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2006, 06:00:19 pm by Leng »
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2005, 07:14:41 pm »

but...

there was always one thing that got me and if someone could explain it i'd be greatful. In Part II Old Bif steals the time machine and travels back to the 1950's changes the past (which would alter the future instantly) but is able to return to where(when) Marty and Doc Brown are... which shouldnt be possible because Old Biff created a different reality... \

??? so confused

When he comes back, doesn't he keel over in pain fpr some reason? Maybe the effect is happening but just not as fast as it should...
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2005, 07:19:48 pm »
http://www.flashplayer.com/animation/lookwhoslooking.html

That's my favorite.

"in the year 2005, every movie will be a sequel."

"Grab my hand and we will go to the ye*BZZT*"

Spore countdowns: USA Europe