Author Topic: Movies about time travel  (Read 11151 times)

Offline GameManic

• Dragster Diehard
  • I can't let you leave.
    • View Profile
Movies about time travel
« on: June 02, 2005, 07:51:35 pm »
I think that there aren't enough big blockbuster time travel movies.  The most famous one is probably Back to the Future and its sequels and of course there are others and some more unknown ones like 12 Monkeys.  I think that there should be more movies on time travel that get you thinking and that are filled with interesting plots.  Do you all know of any good time travel movies that you would all recomend or know of any promising movies currently in production.

"Listen, I mean that from my knowledge of the world that I see around me, I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence."
-Richard Feynman

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
Re: Movies about time travel
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 09:23:57 pm »
Sure, make sure to check out Time After Time where H.G. Wells stalks Jack the Ripper in the year 1979. Not only is this a pretty good movie, but you laugh out loud when you see all the groovy stuff from the late 70s.

Of course what is really sad is that I actually remember seeing this movie ... in the theater. Me getting old!
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 02:47:08 pm »
Yeah shame Back To The Future series is worse than the new Star Wars.

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 03:23:03 pm »

You know that many film writing schools actually use the Back to the Future script (only the first one) as the "perfect" movie script. The first film is actually a fairly complex movie if you take a look at it (time-travel, the same character used in multiple locations and times, a mixture of comedy, action, adventure, and so on). Yeah, it's not rocket science but for the "average" person to follow everything perfectly it really is an amazing script.

Plus, if you read the original script ... you wouldn't believe it if you tried. It has been awhile since I read it but I believe it was a time-traveling Coke machine or something similar. It was a total mess and not a fun movie at all.
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline GameManic

• Dragster Diehard
  • I can't let you leave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005, 03:49:47 pm »
I enjoy the Back to the Future movies, but I must admit it is because there isn't anything else like it from the big screen.  I'd would love to see another comples trilogy on the subject of time travel and how interesting a plot can come out of that.
"Listen, I mean that from my knowledge of the world that I see around me, I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence."
-Richard Feynman

Offline Jayce

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2005, 11:14:23 pm »

That's blasphemy, I enjoyed that series far more then Starwars (Ep I - III anyway). It's not fair to compare old movies against new ones anyway as technology has moved on in leaps and bounds meaning a film from 20 years ago just doesn't look as good.

I am always amused by my TV Guide's star ratings for films that appear on the box, the older the film the worse the rating seems to be yet you can guarantee at the time of release it was the best film ever. The critics for some reason compare all films to each other regardless of their time of release which is just wrong. A great film shouldn't be rated worse the older it gets.

Sorry, this is a little OT.

Isn't there a new one (ish) called the Time Machine that was released a year or so ago?

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2005, 11:19:45 pm »
What I Love the BttF seires how dare you. *shakes fist in anger*

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2005, 09:06:28 am »
Back to the Future rules.  Just laying that out there.  As for really awesome time travel movies we need to remember Time Bandits, one of my childhood films.  I think this explains a little too much about my current mental state.  Midgets, lasers, the devil, half of Monty Python and Sean Connery: For what more can anyone ask? -leeman

PS: check out the stylish use of grammar.

Offline Cosmo

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2005, 01:20:11 am »
Isn't there a new one (ish) called the Time Machine that was released a year or so ago?

Yeah there has been a few versions of this movie released and they all suck, expecially if you like the book.

...Blackadder Back and Forth.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2005, 07:18:11 am »
The thing I liked about the Back To The Future movies was the continuity. So many movies screw up continuity that it just is unfun. In BTTF there are all these little details that are affected by the time travel plot-line.

Ok, this one hurts, but another time-travel movie that poppeed in to my head - Ice Pirates! ACK!

-Lego

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2005, 12:17:16 pm »
Got to watch back to the future some day, got the special edcition with all the movies for christmas last year.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2005, 11:18:14 am »
Back to the Future series goes hand in hand with Lord of the Rings and The Matrix to be the third trilogy where i've fallen asleep in each film.  Back to the Future should be watched when ill, after you've taken a Night Nurse - it'll send you right off to sleep in no time.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2005, 06:27:13 am »
You good sir have no soul.

Thats right I'm having a go at someone for expressing an opinion wanna fight about it.

Offline GameManic

• Dragster Diehard
  • I can't let you leave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2005, 10:52:40 pm »
Back to the Future series goes hand in hand with Lord of the Rings and The Matrix to be the third trilogy where i've fallen asleep in each film. Back to the Future should be watched when ill, after you've taken a Night Nurse - it'll send you right off to sleep in no time.

I love the lord of the rings.  :'(
-Richard Feynman

Offline s0lidmetal

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2005, 04:23:06 am »
I thought every aspect of Back to The Future was perfect, besides the time travel.

I've never seen a movie that did realistic time travel.  Movies have to be entertaining, not necessarily realistic, you know?