Author Topic: Another Creature Thread - Ambir  (Read 4778 times)

Offline Anlach

• Fire Truck Driver
  • 100% Cotton
    • View Profile
Another Creature Thread - Ambir
« on: July 31, 2006, 06:58:45 am »
Well in the Naktul thread i once said that i will start another creature in July... so here i am (31st of July)!

I present thee the Ambir. (By the way i hate colouring, so if anyone would somehow like to do this tedious job himself, PM me)

The larva's carpace and adult's chest are brown, other parts dark green. These small erm... thingies under adult's skull are actually hearing organs. Their mouth is behind the jaw , the larva has his teeth sprung out so this should give a hint how it looks on the adult. Ambirs cannot smell but their three eyes provide excellent eyesight to compensate for that. Ambirs grow about 1.5 m tall and weigh approximately 30 kg.

Ambirs reach sexual maturity as soon as they are morphed into adults. An adult is able to reproduce alone (dunno how this was called), so basically only requirement is food. Fortunately Ambir's home planet Ymbris is very fertile. Abundance of food also means a lot of predators so basically this is the only thing that keeps herbivore population down.

Ambirs are very sociable and fiercely protect their own. They value feelings like friendship and love (though for them it is just like a great friendship). There are only single living beings that they do not love or think they are worth anything - these are their own larvae. That is why they do not think it is evil or bad to use them as they wish - this is why they feel no guilt when they use their offspring for what some would call vile experiments. (To know how...read on)

Now the Ambirs have a very interesting anomaly - their larvas have an extremely suggestible genetic code. As soon as a larva is hatched from it's egg it will just want to eat (it is completely unitelligent) so actually what becomes of it, depends on what larva eats. This adult form what i posted is the usual one because it is the only one that reproduces these larvae and larva mutates into this form when it eats the Sul plant that grows everywhere on Ymbris and is fruitful all year long.

The discovery that lead Ambirs into what we would call the Stone Age was exactly this anomaly - once during a great drought the Sul plants were exhausted and there was nothing to eat. Numerous herbivores died of famine, and Ambirs were on the brink of extinction. But there was one Ambir that layed an egg and seeing that there was no Sul to eat, the larva went to feast on a completely different plant called Mutuv, that was kinda despisable for other herbivores because of it's awful smell. Once the larva morphed, he had become a completely different being who was able to hunt carnivores and thus aquire food to live through the drought. Ambirs thought it was a gift from a god who they named Aukando -the ever changing.

Thus great monasteries were built and the priests started to experiment and find out the different forms an Ambir could achieve. Using their new weaponry (themselves) they soon begun spreading and the civilization of Ambirs was born.

That's it for now.... i will draw some additional pictures and write about their further achievements later.

Any comments and/or criticism?

Oh and i forgot to add information about this wing-thing. Basically they can erect a very light substance that looks a bit like spider's web between their tentacles and and thus form wings. Sometimes they use this substance to create webs for catching small animals too.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 08:29:03 am by Anlach »

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
Re: Another Creature Thread - Ambir
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 07:03:49 am »
they remind me of the zerg  ;)

but they are cool...and very unique
There is, of course, a difference between having a laugh with someone, and having a laugh at their expense

Offline Anlach

• Fire Truck Driver
  • 100% Cotton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 07:16:40 am »
Well yes, they are again one of these evolving guys... the difference is that they are actually good, though they look evil. This sometimes causes species to attack them before they make further research and.... when they do fight they fight well.

If you want peace prepare for war. Their main philosophy  ;D
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 01:59:47 pm by Anlach »

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 04:03:23 pm »
Interesting. Looks like the alien from aliens mixed with a squid.

Offline HanianKnight

• Choplifter Captain
  • He's Probably a Good Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 04:16:44 pm »
looks cool, keep it up
By the time you finish reading this signature, I've gotten into your house, stolen your t.v., and re-decorated the place so that it fits with your hipster lifestyle.

Offline Sporeman

• Space Invaders Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 08:34:22 pm »
BEHOLD!!! the Zerg-Protoss-Octopus Hybrid all of the starcraft fans are shrieking about
first the Eeleon system tommorow... another system with a different name

Offline Anlach

• Fire Truck Driver
  • 100% Cotton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 12:55:42 am »
Every creature is actually a mix of something else isn't it... let's take Nauceans (no offence meant) for example - a little bit of a squid, a little bit of a dinosaur, and a little bit of a dolphin. Voila!  ;)

And actually... are there any octopuses in Starcraft?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 12:58:40 am by Anlach »

TheNecromonicon

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 01:02:53 am »
And actually... are there any octopuses in Starcraft?

GTFO!

Seriously no... just no.

Offline Anlach

• Fire Truck Driver
  • 100% Cotton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 01:09:29 am »
Hmmmmm........ actually i kinda remember that these Overlords had somekinds of tentaclethings under them. Oh, and these Zerg buildings had lots and lots of tentacles everywhere. And there was this defensive structure that had a tentacle for attacking! Yay! I have discovered that i have created a completely unoriginal Starcraft creature.... maybe i should revive the Naktul instead  :-\.

TheNecromonicon

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 01:15:14 am »
My Necromonicon are COMPLETE ripoffs of like, 5 different aliens... but they still kick ass, and have become their own over time. Don't give up!

Offline Anlach

• Fire Truck Driver
  • 100% Cotton
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 01:27:58 am »
The good side is... that with evolving creatures i can draw interesting ... organic things instead of these boring tanks  ;D

Offline Anlach

• Fire Truck Driver
  • 100% Cotton
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 09:45:56 am »
Okay now some additional information.

This is the symbol of Aukando, the Shandar. Basically it's a stylized Ambir whose eight tentacles symbolize the paths or forms an Ambir can choose.

The first few centuries after the Change priests kept all strictly under their control. They built great monastery-fortresses where they used their own larvae in experiments. They trained succesful mutations into zealots that obeyed priest's every command. Other Ambirs just harvested Sul and gave a part of it to priests and in return received protection from all kinds of different predators. In every year a test was conducted to find talented young Ambirs, to ensure that there are enough capable priests in control of everything.

Soon however the secular leaders became tumultuary. They managed to learn how actually priests shape larvae into different forms and soon they overthrew the priests as controllers of the civilization. (Wasn't a bloody event, just one side had a lot bigger force and the other surrendered) Monasteries were still left as centers of sience.

By the way it would help if you would ask about different aspects of Ambir civilization.. there is so much to write and think about so i don't know where to start  :).
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 09:49:18 am by Anlach »

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2006, 11:28:53 am »
Cool. So they were ruled by the priest class for a while? Who rules now?
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline HanianKnight

• Choplifter Captain
  • He's Probably a Good Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2006, 11:36:33 am »
I like the symbol, it kinda looks like something people would use for the Chaos armies in warhammer.

But as for something to write about, how about an old war or a great leader they had.
By the time you finish reading this signature, I've gotten into your house, stolen your t.v., and re-decorated the place so that it fits with your hipster lifestyle.

Offline Anlach

• Fire Truck Driver
  • 100% Cotton
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2006, 01:00:54 am »
It seems to me that every creature has had somekind of a great leader guy.... but basically writing more abot history then. I'll think about it. Oh, and i figured out how exactly the first form that was taken would look like. (lol) I don't speak english perfecftly!!!

EDIT: it seems i will go on a trip for a while so no updates too soon... i'll bump it up when i'm back (place an evil smily here)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 02:24:20 pm by Anlach »