Author Topic: Who wants to be a Superhero?  (Read 15000 times)

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
  • Do they speak English in What?
    • View Profile
Who wants to be a Superhero?
« on: July 30, 2006, 01:35:16 am »
Normally, I HATE EXECRATE reality shows, but I found this one, flipping through the channels, on BRAVO (apparently re-aired from Sci-Fi.) I thoroughly enjoyed it. The people are so insane it has to be fake, but I don't care it's hysterical.

http://www.scifi.com/superhero/

Check it out true believer!

Sidenote: Excelsior -- Slender, curved wood shavings used especially for packing. WTF?!

Offline GrrrArrgh

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
Re: Who wants to be a Superhero?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 06:40:21 am »
Saw the first episode when it premiered on Sci-fi. Going to keep watching because it's friggin' funny and completely absurd. And because Cell Phone Girl is hot. Diggin' those fishnets. I predict a "Who wants to be a supervillain?" spinoff.
There is a method to my madness. That method is in and of itself quite mad, but it is method nonetheless.

Offline sgore

• Questron Serf
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 08:51:29 am »
*Spoiler*

I liked Nitro G. I'm a little upset Stan got rid of him.
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline Malt

• Swordquest Superstar
  • Experience Dance Tonight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 09:57:57 am »
I haven't seen the show, and I probably never will, but I'm rooting for Fat Momma because she's fighting for "The Children".
DUDETHISISJUSTWRONGGOLOCKTHISTHREADMALT4MOD

TheNecromonicon

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2006, 01:55:42 pm »
I wish I could watch this, it looks hilarious.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 10:10:07 am »
I feel so guilty for enjoying a show this excruciatingly bad. I can't help it though; they all seem to take it so seriously, particularly Stan "The Man" Lee. Jesus, that guy makes me laugh. Also, I tend to prefer Lemuria to Cell-Phone Girl.

Favorite Superhero Thus Far: Major Victory.
I'm sorry, he's lame -- but the way he behaves makes me laugh so friggin' hard.

Offline GrrrArrgh

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 01:58:04 pm »
Lemuria's nice too, but I've got a weak spot for fishnets. I like Major Victory too, the guy really seems to have the whole cheesy superhero thing down. I don't know which is funnier, the thought that he's playing it up on purpose or that he really believes he should act and behave that way.
There is a method to my madness. That method is in and of itself quite mad, but it is method nonetheless.

Twiggs

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 12:58:06 pm »
I'm rooting for either Major Victory or Feedback.

And a small spoiler.  They shoulda kicked off Iron Enforcer.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 02:36:28 pm by Twiggs »

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 12:39:33 pm »
They should [have] kicked off Iron Enforcer.

Thank you.

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2006, 09:28:17 pm »
ok, i've seen episode 2, and it's oh so obviously faked, or at least the iron enforcer is.  looking back, it's clear he was always meant to be the adversary.  still it was fun to watch monkey girl get mauled by dogs for ten F***ing minutes, and then for feedback to get his "look what you DID!!" moment out of left field, and yet totally deserved.
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline GrrrArrgh

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2006, 06:31:12 am »
ok, i've seen episode 2, and it's oh so obviously faked, or at least the iron enforcer is.  looking back, it's clear he was always meant to be the adversary.  still it was fun to watch monkey girl get mauled by dogs for ten F***ing minutes, and then for feedback to get his "look what you DID!!" moment out of left field, and yet totally deserved.

Oh it's totally fake, but it's still absolutely hilarious.

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2006, 12:32:25 pm »
First three episodes tonight(Aug. 10) starting at 7e/6c, on SciFi. Good time to play catchup.

Offline Gunner

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • No Smoking Zone
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2006, 08:48:18 am »
In the credits it says "scripted"  8)
:O
Also, Gunner is one of the children.
It's true.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2006, 01:42:28 pm »
In the credits it says "scripted" 8)

I don't care. It's still too funny to bypass. :) That seems to be the only way I can enjoy 'reality shows' is when they just admit they're fake and move on.

Offline GrrrArrgh

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2006, 04:08:55 pm »
In the credits it says "scripted"  8)

I don't care. It's still too funny to bypass. :) That seems to be the only way I can enjoy 'reality shows' is when they just admit they're fake and move on.

Don't need the credits to tell you it's scripted. Not only are they all probably actors, but they're all bad actors. Doesn't make it any less funny though.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2006, 09:46:04 am »
In the credits it says "scripted" 8)

Don't need the credits to tell you it's scripted. Not only are they all probably actors, but they're all bad actors. Doesn't make it any less funny though.

That's my point: I think that's why it's so funny. The part where Major Victory got all emotional after his personal hero was voted off? With a soft, wispy "Hey..." I nearly fell over, it was so awesome.

Offline GrrrArrgh

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2006, 01:34:15 pm »
They really laid the cheese on heavy last week. With the whole self sacrifice scenario and the arguments, and Fat Momma's reaction to Tyveculus getting kicked. I love Major Victory. The only thing that somewhat sucks is all the people I actually liked got booted early.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2006, 01:59:27 pm »
I'm sorry, but the moment Major Victory gets kicked off I will seriously consider dropping the show. He's awesome. So wrong in so many ways, yet completely ... I don't know ... perfect as a superhero. Makes me think he belongs in a Tick episode. He's that perfect.

Offline GrrrArrgh

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2006, 02:28:28 pm »
I think he's got a pretty good chance to make it to the end. Out of all of 'em he really does seem the best suited to win. Feedback could give him a run for his money though.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2006, 07:38:49 am »
So yeah, the newest episode of this show kind of ticked me off. Lemuria got kicked out!? She had the hardest friggin' challenge of all! How the hell do you convince someone to let you sit in their lap? The moment they said she was having to try and do that with a female prisoner, I knew she was dead. A guy would have been easy with her build, but ... just seems a bit unfair. That said, I wouldn't have been happy either way Stan went. If he'd have chosen the other person up to go, I would've been angry as well. So, whatever.

And I'm starting to think that when they say 'Scripted by,' I think they're referring to Stan's comments and the NPCs (for lack of a better term). I could definitely see that. Also, it would be nice to know how long they've all been staying together as their emotional responses whenever one of them gets kicked seem a bit melodramatic given that it feels like they've been together all of five days.

Offline Bonemouse

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2006, 01:12:05 pm »
And I'm starting to think that when they say 'Scripted by,' I think they're referring to Stan's comments and the NPCs (for lack of a better term).

That's my impression too. All reality shows are scripted to a point. They are also all heavily edited and arranged to maximize the cinematic quality of the show which would account for it's staged feeling. And the contestants are supposedly ordinary people who are acting like superheroes. I find that a more plausible explanation for the bad acting.

As for the melodrama, when you're thrown into foreign situation alone, you bond fast with the people around you. People who've spent alot of time backpacking will know what I mean. You might end up travelling with a person you've just met for 2 or 3 days in which time you're essentially living together. And it's sad when you part ways knowing that the chances of seeing that person ever again are slim to none.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2006, 01:35:53 pm »
As for the melodrama, when you're thrown into foreign situation alone, you bond fast with the people around you. People who've spent alot of time backpacking will know what I mean. You might end up travelling with a person you've just met for 2 or 3 days in which time you're essentially living together. And it's sad when you part ways knowing that the chances of seeing that person ever again are slim to none.

I lived in Japan without knowing a word of the language for a year and after seven months there living with a Japanese family (that was mildly abusive), I finally found a place with two other Westerners. And we became very close, but that still took a period of time well beyond what seems like days for these people.

Offline GrrrArrgh

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2006, 02:50:23 pm »
So yeah, the newest episode of this show kind of ticked me off. Lemuria got kicked out!? She had the hardest friggin' challenge of all! How the hell do you convince someone to let you sit in their lap? The moment they said she was having to try and do that with a female prisoner, I knew she was dead. A guy would have been easy with her build, but ... just seems a bit unfair. That said, I wouldn't have been happy either way Stan went. If he'd have chosen the other person up to go, I would've been angry as well. So, whatever.

And I'm starting to think that when they say 'Scripted by,' I think they're referring to Stan's comments and the NPCs (for lack of a better term). I could definitely see that. Also, it would be nice to know how long they've all been staying together as their emotional responses whenever one of them gets kicked seem a bit melodramatic given that it feels like they've been together all of five days.

It's a conspiracy to elimate all the T&A! And they succeeded. First it was Cell Phone Girl. Then Monkey Woman, Creature, and now Lemuria. Seriously though, I'd agree she had a nearly impossible task. I think a lot of the reasons for eliminating someone have been kind of lame. Also am I the only who finds it funny every time Stan starts lecturing Major Victory on stripping while he has that portrait of Stripperella right behind him?

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2006, 12:11:25 pm »
It's a conspiracy to elimate all the T&A! And they succeeded. First it was Cell Phone Girl. Then Monkey Woman, Creature, and now Lemuria. Seriously though, I'd agree she had a nearly impossible task. I think a lot of the reasons for eliminating someone have been kind of lame.

If I were Stan, I would've given her credit for at least attempting such an insanely hard challenge. But then, I think she took that one because she assumed she'd get a male felon -- in which case, there's no way he wouldn't have let her sit on his lap. :)

Twiggs

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2006, 01:19:38 pm »
From teh begining my Vote was Feedback, not seeing the show, just on the overall look and info.  Then the first episode I was rooting for Major Victory.  So I hope Fat Momma gets kicked off next episode.  I assume from now ont here will be only one elimination per show, as there are only two left.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2006, 11:53:08 am »
wel i gues i cant see it...i dont live in america...

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2006, 08:31:46 am »
Okay, so ... newest episode conversation time ...

That blew. So let me get this straight: You've told the superheroes that a dangerous criminal is in the area and innocent lives are in jeopardy, and one spends nearly an hour scamming food off people while another takes a significantly long period of time to pick up a penny because he wants to be polite. I'm sorry, but huh??

As much as I would have felt bad for him, Feedback should have been gone. A superhero needs to prioritize. I can think of hundreds of times when Spider-Man did things that were rude for the sake of being expedient.

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2006, 01:31:22 pm »
Get out your decoder rings kids.
That's exactly why everyone was surprised when they eliminated Major Victory. I was aghast. My roommate too, made the Spider-man comparison. Superheroes can be funny!

Twiggs

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2006, 08:06:56 pm »
Feedback for the win!

Fat Momma for the lose.

Major Victory had the best cover though

Offline Bonemouse

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2006, 09:22:37 pm »
I thought the covers in general were pretty uninspired.

I must admit, I'm really looking forward to reading the final product AND watching the scifi original movie. I just hope they are as hilarious as the show.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2006, 08:19:51 am »
Get out your decoder rings kids.
That's exactly why everyone was surprised when they eliminated Major Victory. I was aghast. My roommate too, made the Spider-man comparison. Superheroes can be funny!

Perhaps Stan never meant Spider-Man to be funny?  :-\ Maybe it was all unintentional.

Offline GrrrArrgh

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2006, 12:10:16 am »
Argh! Ok so I just got a chance to watch the last episode, well, only the last three or four minutes of the last episode. Will still need to see it from the beginning. Should have seen that one coming and I saw nothing yet as to the reason for the elimination, but if I had to guess I'd say it was lame. Since this show has managed to get rid of everyone I genuinely liked the person I want to win now probably won't, but we shall see.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2006, 08:40:43 am »
So yeah, it's over. Let me just say this: Predictable. Very.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 08:33:12 am by PHI-1618 »

Offline GrrrArrgh

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2006, 12:29:37 am »
Just got to see the last episode. And, wow. I thought it couldn't possibly get any cheesier, how very wrong I was. At least the runner up I wanted to win did. Still think Major Victory would have been a better choice.

Offline Bonemouse

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2006, 05:28:17 pm »
If you go to the website and read the mini-bios of the characters, I think Feedback's has the most story potential. I wonder if that had anything to do with the final decision.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2006, 07:17:01 am »
If you go to the website and read the mini-bios of the characters, I think Feedback's has the most story potential. I wonder if that had anything to do with the final decision.

Oh, I'm sure it did. I'd read the bios and yeah, he had a definite advantage in that regard.

Offline GrrrArrgh

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2006, 12:33:19 am »
So who wants to take bets on how crappy the movie will be? Think we're looking at the kind of production values seen in their little videos in the last episode, or regular sci-fi original movie quality(which isn't much better).

Offline Sporific

• Battlezone Captain
  • Call me Jake. Jake Bond.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2006, 02:53:36 pm »
Ahh! This show was my guilty pleasure! I'm actually excited for the movie, in all its crapiness. It should be so-bad-its-good-but-actually-a-little-bit-good. From the beginning my favorites were Fat Momma, Feedback and Cell Phone Girl. I guess I made pretty good choices (aside from the latter, LOL.)

Feedback's bio does have a lot of potential, and that's why I like him.

Season Two can't come soon enough! ;]
LOL SPORE ON MAC.
"The surest sign that there's intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't visited us."
Quote from: lolasan
Procedurally Generate That!

Offline Bonemouse

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2006, 11:40:05 pm »
Do we know if they're will be a season 2 yet?

EDIT: To answer my own question, yes.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 12:56:21 pm by Bonemouse »

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2007, 06:17:55 am »

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2007, 06:37:43 pm »
The best thing you can try to do is jump off high buildings, if you survive you get the merit, if you die it wont mather to you xD
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2007, 06:47:46 am »
Season 2 starts July 26th, if you didn't already know.

Offline Sporific

• Battlezone Captain
  • Call me Jake. Jake Bond.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2007, 05:33:15 pm »
Woohoo, it starts in just 16 days! Who's psyched?! I know I am... :P There's going to be 10 episodes this time around rather than the 6 last season. Here is a list of the new heroes. Personally, I think Hygena + Mr. Mitzvah sound the most interesting. What do you guys think?
LOL SPORE ON MAC.
"The surest sign that there's intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't visited us."
Quote from: lolasan
Procedurally Generate That!

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2007, 02:23:25 am »
Did anyone besides me watch it this season?

Offline Ryederz

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2008, 07:52:52 pm »
I wanna be like Peter Pan  ;D