Author Topic: "Honey Bunches of Death": question regarding the use of graspers  (Read 6107 times)

Offline Pinstar

• Ultima Lord
  • Your friendly neighborhood Teralyte
    • View Profile
    • The Legacy Challenge
I had an idea for a rather odd creature, that made me question how the procedural movement would handle graspers.

Here is the creature:

Picture a bowl, a cerial bowl. Inside the cerial bowl would be about 5 meat-eating mouths. This bowl would actually be the head of a creature. It would have a large torso and walk upright on two legs. It woud have two arms. One arm would end in a fork, and have three spikes, used for attacking. The other arm would look like a spoon, and would sport a very large grasper at the end of it.

Now here is my question: If my "Honey Bunches of Death" (the creature's name) kills another creature, and I tell it to "eat" will it flip it's head upside down over the corpse so the mouths inside the bowl can nibble on the corpse...or will the procedure be smart enough to use the grasper to pick the corpse up and put it on top of the creature's head...inside the bowl where all the mouths can eat away at it?

I'd love for it to just fling the body into the bowl, that way it can eat and walk, devouring prey while it hunted for more. It might be a little top heavy, but with a wide enough base and long enough arms, it won't matter.

What does everyone think...about my creature, or how the game will handle graspers in this case.

Creator of the Legacy Challenge

Visit my spore page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Pinstar
Ratings and comments on all my creatures are always welcome!

Visit my Minicity
http://pinstar.myminicity.com

Offline GameManic

• Dragster Diehard
  • I can't let you leave.
    • View Profile
Re: "Honey Bunches of Death": question regarding the use of graspers
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 03:05:41 pm »
Wow good question.  That would seem to put the games creature skills to the test if it did just lean over or what ever it would be a bummer because it would be fun to watch it toss a pile of meat into its bowl head and walk around as it eats it.
"Listen, I mean that from my knowledge of the world that I see around me, I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence."
-Richard Feynman

Offline Gandysampras

• Fishing Derby Champion
  • Spore - It's whatever you want it to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 03:06:04 pm »
Thatd be amazing if it was actually as rediculously advanced and smart enough to work it out, and knowing Will, It probably is!

I was thinking along the same lines earlier today.

Okay imagin a little tiny guy, say about as big as your head,add legs that are a sensible size for a tiny guy, then add huge muscular arms onto him, do you think that the procedural animation would be sart enough to realise the best way for this guy to move would be to either walk on his hands, or to use his arms as a support and "swing" through hem, kinda like a gorilla would?

Offline Silver_Kiwi

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 03:08:40 pm »
Woah, crazy idea!
But man it would be awesome if it could do that!
Silver_Kiwi

Offline GameManic

• Dragster Diehard
  • I can't let you leave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2005, 03:08:53 pm »
I hope when the first batch of gameplay videos start coming out they show these kind of creatures that way we can see just how sophisticated the engine is or not.
"Listen, I mean that from my knowledge of the world that I see around me, I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence."
-Richard Feynman

Offline Gandysampras

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2005, 03:12:32 pm »
That would be great, like a "showoff" video of just how rediculously well the procedural animation can cope with ay skeleton!

I suppose weve got a taster already with the Willosaurus, especially its awesome little dance!

Offline Tarious

• Adventure Ace
  • FINISH HIM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2005, 03:13:13 pm »
why not sporks for arms?

lol

Offline Pinstar

• Ultima Lord
    • View Profile
    • The Legacy Challenge
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2005, 03:20:45 pm »
Even better, if this creature was an omnivore, I could use the grasper to pluck fruits from trees and toss them in the bowl to be devoured.

Visit my spore page!

Visit my Minicity

Offline jujubee

• Missile Commander
  • Notoriously Unnotorious
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2005, 03:23:11 pm »
hmm the only thing that I think could keep you from doing that would be ( from what i'v gathered) that there is predetermend heads.

Offline ChibiZay

• Boot Hill Bandit
  • Secret Decoder Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2005, 04:19:20 pm »
Well, from what I saw, heads didn't seem to be predetermined, like in example of comparing will's SUVesque tweety bird to his now idolized willosaurus, the latter's head consisted of the mouth of a meateater with 3 eyes attached (If I remember correctly.) The Tweety Bird had a rediculously large head, one eyem and a freakishly large amount of beaklike mouths. So the wierd head configurations don't seem out of the question, from what I saw.
Yeah, there's words there.

Offline Stamp

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2005, 04:32:52 pm »
I dont think that the arms as legs idea would work.... because in the interview, will was trying to add feet (or flippers) to the end of each ocotpus tentacle. it seems that adding a foot or flipper would tell the procedure what to do with each limb.  I bet that if there werent flippers on a few tentacles, they would just hang there while the other tentacles would swim.

If the arms were way bigger than the legs, im pretty sure that the program would attempt to find body positions that would have the feet touch the floor.

As for the dropping, im not sure if theres a procedure that uses a grasper to bring food towards a mouth and dropping it above (for added humour).  if so, i can see that happening.  The procedure would simply bring the grasper towards the mouth, and use pathfinding to determine the method to bring the grasper to the mouth (if the arm is long enough); reaching over the lip of the bowl and dropping the food above the mouth.

Offline jujubee

• Missile Commander
  • Notoriously Unnotorious
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2005, 04:35:32 pm »
I dont think that the arms as legs idea would work.... because in the interview, will was trying to add feet (or flippers) to the end of each ocotpus tentacle. it seems that adding a foot or flipper would tell the procedure what to do with each limb.  I bet that if there werent flippers on a few tentacles, they would just hang there while the other tentacles would swim.

If the arms were way bigger than the legs, im pretty sure that the program would attempt to find body positions that would have the feet touch the floor.

As for the dropping, im not sure if theres a procedure that uses a grasper to bring food towards a mouth and dropping it above (for added humour).  if so, i can see that happening.  The procedure would simply bring the grasper towards the mouth, and use pathfinding to determine the method to bring the grasper to the mouth (if the arm is long enough); reaching over the lip of the bowl and dropping the food above the mouth.

ya, I guess that makes sences

Offline Gandysampras

• Fishing Derby Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2005, 05:26:29 pm »
Do you think that the graspers could be used to climb trees?
I sure would like to have a tree based village, etc, like wookies from star wars!
But i wouldn't want any wookies there, man i hate the smell of wet dog.

Offline Pinstar

• Ultima Lord
    • View Profile
    • The Legacy Challenge
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2005, 10:51:35 pm »
Do you think that the graspers could be used to climb trees?
I sure would like to have a tree based village, etc, like wookies from star wars!
But i wouldn't want any wookies there, man i hate the smell of wet dog.

I asked Steve if climbing was possible, he said he didn't know at this time. I think climbing is something that is still on the fence, something that Will and the Spore team would LIKE to include, but it might be difficult to write the procedural code for to get it to blend smoothly with procedural walking/attacking/dragging.

Judging on the GDC video, there are certainly enough sizeable trees to climb on (at least on Will's planet, I'm sure the vegitation will vary from planet to planet)

If Will is trying to import some core abilites from SimLife...climbing was one of them... so I think Will is gonna do his best to put climbing in.

Now my "honey bunches of death" I doubt will ever be a climber, despite it's long arms and a grasper.

Here's a thought: If I made the bowl big enough and the weight of the body below the bowl small enough, would I be able to walk into the water and have my creature float, using the buyoncy of the bowl to keep the whole thing afloat?

I could make an aquatic honey-bunches of death by putting flippers on it's feet and making it's arms even longer so it can reach down and skewer fish to flip up into the bowl.

What do you think of creatures being able to float?

Visit my spore page!

Visit my Minicity

Offline Martham112

• Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2005, 12:18:59 am »
I don't think that would work. Because the game might not have a bouyency chart thing to tell the game when to float and when to sink

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2005, 12:35:17 am »
I had an idea for a rather odd creature, that made me question how the procedural movement would handle graspers.

Here is the creature:

Picture a bowl, a cerial bowl. Inside the cerial bowl would be about 5 meat-eating mouths. This bowl would actually be the head of a creature. It would have a large torso and walk upright on two legs. It woud have two arms. One arm would end in a fork, and have three spikes, used for attacking. The other arm would look like a spoon, and would sport a very large grasper at the end of it.

Now here is my question: If my "Honey Bunches of Death" (the creature's name) kills another creature, and I tell it to "eat" will it flip it's head upside down over the corpse so the mouths inside the bowl can nibble on the corpse...or will the procedure be smart enough to use the grasper to pick the corpse up and put it on top of the creature's head...inside the bowl where all the mouths can eat away at it?

I'd love for it to just fling the body into the bowl, that way it can eat and walk, devouring prey while it hunted for more. It might be a little top heavy, but with a wide enough base and long enough arms, it won't matter.

What does everyone think...about my creature, or how the game will handle graspers in this case.

After reading this I had a dream with this creature in it, it was pouncing on and eating heacrabs. But instead of tossing the bodies into the bowl, it just sort of used its head as a big mouth...

Offline Pinstar

• Ultima Lord
    • View Profile
    • The Legacy Challenge
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2005, 04:02:09 pm »

After reading this I had a dream with this creature in it, it was pouncing on and eating heacrabs. But instead of tossing the bodies into the bowl, it just sort of used its head as a big mouth...

Woohoo I'm invading people's dreams! My plan is working. Now all I need is someone to have a nightmare where their cerial bowl leaps up and bites their face when they're tryign to have breakfast!  ;D

Visit my spore page!

Visit my Minicity