Author Topic: The Descent  (Read 3111 times)

c14dude

The Descent
« on: July 28, 2006, 05:15:37 pm »
looks actually kinda scary
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 03:46:19 am by c14dude »

Offline GrrrArrgh

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
Re: The Decent
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 05:43:07 pm »
Sort of reminds me of The Cave, which I only recently just saw. Looks interesting.
There is a method to my madness. That method is in and of itself quite mad, but it is method nonetheless.

TheNecromonicon

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 05:45:47 pm »
Cave was called crap, I acctually liked it though. So I'm pullin for this one. Maple has yet to fail me - Saw, Saw II, and Hostel were all wikkid.

Offline GrrrArrgh

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 06:44:53 pm »
The Cave was alright, I liked it. Not great or anywhere near as scary as previews made it out to be, but what movie is? It scored extra points with me for the ending. And yeah, if The Descent is made by the same people who worked on Saw and Hostel you know it'll at least be worth seeing for shock value.
There is a method to my madness. That method is in and of itself quite mad, but it is method nonetheless.

c14dude

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 06:19:48 am »
well i saw the movie tonight.........i can't describe how scary it really is.
i almost regret watching it, its horrific mentally and physically.
i'm not saying it was a bad movie, it's just...wow....

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 03:28:50 am »
The Descent, you mean?  :P
well i saw the movie tonight.........i can't describe how scary it really is.
i almost regret watching it, its horrific mentally and physically.
i'm not saying it was a bad movie, it's just...wow....
I love the Descent; it's such a merciless bitch of a horror.

The Cave, on the other hand, blew.

c14dude

Re: The Descent
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2006, 03:51:46 am »
yeah i just watched it agian tonight....DAMN its so Relentless!

by the way, i guess the american version has a diffrent ending, i have the uk version

Ending Spoilers!

in the version i have, none of them make it out of the cave.

whats the american ending like?

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2006, 01:17:34 pm »
SPOILERS
Mine don't make it out of the cave either.

I'm not sure what version I have, probably the UK.

I really don't think it was that scary at all. Watched it full effect, dark room, night, basement, the whole kit and kaboodle. Nothing, it didn't even have a lasting impact from the horror.

c14dude

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2006, 06:41:40 pm »
haha well i think it was pretty darn scary and brutal
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 09:26:44 am by c14dude »

Offline SmileyMan

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 08:30:29 am »
What's the movie even about? :P

c14dude

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 09:27:30 am »
to explain it the fastest way: a bunch of thrill seeking chicks go caving, and things go.....wrong. haha

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2006, 01:44:59 pm »
I love how every modern American attempt at horror degenerates into a competition of who can show the most people being dissected, raped, eaten, or bludgeoned to death. 'Cause that's, yeah, not scary. More often than not, it's simply gross.

And no, I haven't seen it. Just felt like venting a bit of my frustration over the state of horror films these days. Wanna see a good one? Watch Audition. Yes, it's subtitled, shut up. Rent it, watch it, and proceed developing an insane paranoia about quiet, sheepish women.

Offline Bonemouse

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2006, 09:48:54 pm »
To clarify, The Descent is not an American movie. I believe it was shot in the US and features some American actors, but it's a UK movie. Definitely worth your time. It's also a great example of what you can do with a relatively small budget.

I felt that the promotional campaign really did the movie a disservice. They made it out to be a movie similar to Hostel and the Saw movies. It's not. In reality they only share the same distributor and that's only for the US release. I haven't seen Hostel but I can tell you this, The Descent is a way way way smarter movie then Saw was (oh my god, what a dumb movie.)

As far as I know, the American and UK releases are identical, except they cut out the very very last scene in the US release. I'm not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, that scene made me mad. On the other, I rather watch the movie as it was intended.

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2006, 06:02:03 am »
As far as I know, the American and UK releases are identical, except they cut out the very very last scene in the US release. I'm not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, that scene made me mad. On the other, I rather watch the movie as it was intended.
What! That was the single greatest ending to a horror movie EVER!

And no, I haven't seen it.
That much is obvious. As Bonemouse said, the Descent really isn't one of those movies. Not that I mind those kind of movies by any means, but this isn't one of them.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2006, 08:12:04 am »
And no, I haven't seen it.
That much is obvious. As Bonemouse said, the Descent really isn't one of those movies. Not that I mind those kind of movies by any means, but this isn't one of them.

I get the distinct feeling that people are looking for ways to hand me my ass today. Oh well. Is the film anything like High Tension? 'Cause that was actually a good flick.