Author Topic: Mount and Blade  (Read 41172 times)

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
Re: Mount and Blade
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2007, 05:21:33 pm »
I've always avoided this thing.
I guess now would be a good time to give it a try.

Let's see...
*plays*

EDIT: Well, isn't that a fun little thing.
I made my guy a trader but got my ass ruined by a bunch of mounted raiders; they captured me and dragged me across the land for a bit, but I escaped.

Weeks have passed. I have trained my guy in combat and amassed a small army.
Now I am out for revenge.

EDIT2: Wow, I was playing on version 0.808 this whole time, while 0.892 is out.
Geez.

EDIT3: So what, nobody plays it now?
Where'd you all go?

EDIT4:  ::) Every bloody time.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 11:01:15 pm by Gauphastus »
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2007, 06:30:54 am »
EDIT3: So what, nobody plays it now?
Where'd you all go?

Hey, I'm too busy playing it. It's one great game.

And they updated really fast!

I started a viking like character, under my own name, Eirik.
After starting in Zendar I practiced some sword techniques before entering the arena, i won some matches and bought some better gear.(a great lance and some better armor. then a fast horse) After that i went out to explore. I found a group of river pirates and fought them. With my earlier experience with a lance, i must say. I kicked their asses. they had prisoners, some manhunters. I made them join me and we roamed the land hunting more bandits. i helped a caravan get to a nord town, (don't remember the name) I walked the streets and noticed that there were actually people walking around(which is a welcoming sight, they never had that in the earlier versions of M&B)

I went to the castle and pledged my allegiance to the lord there.
After quite some time doing some fighting and helping other travelers, i had gotten quite a large army (around 20 infantry, and 10 archers, and 9 horsemen.) I decided to attack a castle and claim it my own, the battle went well, and i had won my first castle.

My next move is yet to be seen ;)

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2007, 06:53:07 am »
I'm really hoping the game improvements ahead are quite vast.
I've actually been playing quite a bit myself (all hail the Rhodoks! Death to Swadia and the Khanate!), mainly as a one-handed swordsman.
The mounted combat in this game is really like nothing I've ever seen. If you gain a lot of speed and take a swing at someone as you pass by, you get a huge damage bonus. Hell, I've killed the horse and rider in one swing.

It's fun and all, but I really do think there needs to be something more to it.
Not that I'll ever suggest anything, not on their forum. I might be accused of trying to change the game into something it's not. In order to get a good say as to what you believe should change, you first have to hack and slash your way through that stubborn purist community.
But whatever.

I bought a license, so I still feel like I contributed something after all.  :)
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2007, 07:35:20 am »
The battles are really fun, i'll give you that.

Once i stabbed a poor man while on a horse, (we were galloping towards each other)
And then i turned bakc to see if there were any more enemies, i saw the man i had stabbed, he was about 2 or 3 meters in the air falling to the ground ;D. maybe he bounced really hard of the horse, cos i got the horse as well.

But every battle is different, in my opinion.

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2008, 10:45:09 pm »
EDIT: The link http://www.taleworlds.com/

This is a single player third person game made by an independent developer that is currently in beta.

Its a middle age setting and is the most realistic game i have played yet.

You create a character and can level up and increase skills and such as well as equip buy and loot gear.

You can also recruit and train up all sorts of warriors ranging from farmers to archers etc.

In addition to normal units you will also come across Heroes in the game that you can take with you. They have skills like you do and you can personally outfit them with equipment you want.

The combat is played on a battle field where you and your army go in against other army's. On the battle field you can give orders and such and fight along side your army. The combat is very very realistic.

A well placed arrow on normal settings will down you instantly. You have to block parry and dodge.

This is the most realistic middle ages game i have ever seen. You can download and play it for free until your character hits level 6 then you have to start over. You can also buy it cheap now because they are going to charge more when it go's retail.

The mod community in this game is also amazing and they are churning out a ton of awesome mods.

I recommended trying it playing through the tutorials. I also recommend playing it on normal settings and if you really want a challenge turning on directional blocking.

If you find you like it i suggest looking up a mod called *Band of warriors*. It adds gunpowders weapons a couple normal unit tiers you can customize. Extra heroes and some add ons like classes you can choose.

Also just to save you guys some trouble that i had.

The num keys select what units you are talking too and the F keys give them orders. You can hit backspace to open up a tactical map. You swings your weapon in the direction you move your mouse when you swing it. And if you have directional blocking on you move the mouse in the direction of the incoming attack when blocking.

Thats the stuff the tutorial didn't cover >_>

The game is tough to explain. If you ever played an RPG with a world map. Thats how you travel the world from town to town. Battles however are fought from the third person view and you can walk around any town if you wish. You can eventually ally with factions attack caravans go to war all kinds of stuff :)

I'm going to have some screen shots and perhaps a video up for you guys.

Of any game i have ever posted about. I can't recommend any of them more then this game.

I will be updating this post with videos.

While i am waiting for mine to upload i found this one that shows a bit of cool fighting but not neraly all the depth.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW9OhjsXjLg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW9OhjsXjLg</a>

« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 11:50:49 pm by Gorman Conall »

Offline Hammerman58

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Thor carrier of the mightiest hammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2008, 11:16:49 pm »
Got a link to the site? Is this an open beta?
STOP HAMMERTIME 
PSN Names YaY I got a thread stickied.

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2008, 11:33:15 pm »
Whoops i thought i posted the link >_>.

Yeah its open but you can only play until your characters level 6 then you have to buy it or start over.

http://www.taleworlds.com/

Ill have some videos up soon. they aren't the best though.

Offline B.A.S.

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • WAR GSP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2008, 11:58:26 pm »
Wow seems pretty cool, I love how you just kept running past the guys and slicing them open with your sword. But I have a question were the people you fighting actual players or npcs? I saw that after you were killed it said for you to retreat.
Your Friendly Canadian Fighter :)
"It is defeat that turns bone to flint, gristle to muscle- it is defeat that makes men invincible"- Henry Ward Beecher
Inkling:Durgon only comes by when he is taking a break from beating up people and animals

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2008, 12:10:33 am »
That videos not mine. I have mine uploading and mine are just some small 30 sec bits but hopefully better quality then that.

Its single player only theres not mutiplayer to it. Everybody in the game is NPC other then the player.

In the current version (Remember its still a beta we have quite a few more official updates before May)
You get knocked out when you die. If you don't have any body left in your group to carry you away then you get captured lose all of your units and some items. They also take any wounded units you had prisoner but if you manage to beat them you can rescue them.

Offline B.A.S.

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • WAR GSP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2008, 01:16:22 am »
I played the single player and Free Mode a bit. The Combat I found was actually pretty boring and bland there isnt much to do it in, infact it reminded me of Oblivions Combat system you run back and then run forward slash, rinse wash repeat. I didnt get to much into the single player, it was ok I guess but I feel this game should be more or less one of those free ones instead of actually paying money for it.
"It is defeat that turns bone to flint, gristle to muscle- it is defeat that makes men invincible"- Henry Ward Beecher
Inkling:Durgon only comes by when he is taking a break from beating up people and animals

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2008, 01:51:14 am »
DOH..there was already topics about this.... >_>....

Well here was my little video...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8APEvEb4oM0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8APEvEb4oM0</a>

Its not for everyone for sure, The combat is really realistic so its not as actiony.

Of course we still have a few months until retail so more stuff will be added. And the mods..the mods are great!.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 01:54:25 am by Gorman Conall »

Offline Serdun

• Revenging Yar
  • Sup.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2008, 06:33:43 am »
If you're into medieval history, there's a great mod I've been putting around in based on the Hundred Year's War. It's definitely worth a look; the modder really took his time to make things historically accurate. Just wish I could actually kill those pesky French lords, instead of capturing them and having them run away.  :P

Here's a vid (excuse the mediocre music):

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjsHBI5pEHw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjsHBI5pEHw</a>
Yes. Of course.

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2008, 09:37:46 am »
it was ok I guess but I feel this game should be more or less one of those free ones instead of actually paying money for it.

Your other points are valid, this is just plain wrong. This isnt some mod someone made over the weekend with their buds, or a script kiddies attempt at a game. It isnt an EA rapidly developed game using a preexisting engine. This is a fully featured graphical engine, with all the capabilities necessary in any game made today. Which means on top of making a great game he had to code in the lighting function, the shader functions, the pipelines for 3D models, the texture pipelines, the bump maps, particles, write the recoloring function for bloody weapons, implement the ragdoll physics, write the AI functions a hundred times over with variations for each object, the audio functions, anti aliasing method, Level of Detail methods, mipmap function, collision methods, map generation, the messaging function that allows all that to talk to each other, and the display function that puts all that on screen (twice, once for DX7 back when he first started making the game and again for DX9 in his latest few updates, he may have to write it again if he keeps with his plans of porting it to OpenGL). Not to mention creating his editting tools that allow him to easily place objects and edit the map, which is itself an entire project unto its own. After all thats done he can finally start adding the content, by adding each piece one at a time, and balancing it all, then adding the dialogue, making sure that all makes sense within the context of the game. It is a finely crafted game, not one of the conveyor belt babies EA and the like are pushing out.  >:(

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2008, 01:12:11 pm »
Whoa the 100 year war does look pretty awesome. Ill give it a try. Thats the thing i love about this game and the mods. You have a drop down menu like dawn of war and can easily choose anyone to play. Not to mention most of the files are small so even with my crappy download speed it only takes 20 minutes tops to get one.

Naturally different people have different tastes so whats boring and fun is subjective from person to person.
So Durgons points are valid but this should in no way be a free game at all. Mr.Wizard said most of what needs to be said on that matter. But as great and varied as the mods are they are still using the game as a template. Seriously i have had more fun with the trial of this game alone then many big name titles that i paid 60$ for.

Offline B.A.S.

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • WAR GSP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2008, 05:15:08 pm »
Indeed I will take back my no charge decision, it was rather premature to say after an hour of gameplay. I decided I would try the game again not when its 2am in the morning. Having a clear mind and not just running through I found the game enjoyable, although my computer is horrible and slows down considerably during massive battles.