Author Topic: Fanfic PnP?  (Read 15684 times)

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
Re: Fanfic PnP?
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2006, 03:59:10 pm »
I think engineer and roboticist cover the same ground... I think they should be combined into one. Researcher is fine... although I think something like Xenologist might be a catchier name (I'm assuming that would be the class which is good at deciphering dead languages and operating ancient technologies). I assume the Doctor wouldnt be a pure healer, but would also have abilities like unleashing diseases or commanding mutant creatures or some such...

Well yeah, those are all good suggestions. We could have a Xenologist as well as a researcher, that would be good. The doctor could have all sorts of neat skills (unless we want to split it off into two subtypes). We can have any number of subtypes as long as we have the skills for them.

Now what I was thinking was - each skill costs a certain number of points. You gain points at each level. If the skill is in your subtype, then you get it one point cheaper. If it's in your archetype, you get it at normal price. If it's outside your archetype, you have to pay one point more. Improving skills is done by buying the same skill a second or third time (or more). Sound good to people? It changes the D20 skill system slightly, but it'd work quite well I think. That way, no-one is denied skills but improving skills is more difficult outside your archetype.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2006, 12:09:07 am »
Perhaps scientists could work like clerics in that they can choose their "domians" In short a scientist could choose say both Engineer and Roboticist or pick Geneticist and Xenologist.

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 15, 2006, 12:48:14 am »
I think engineer and roboticist cover the same ground... I think they should be combined into one. Researcher is fine... although I think something like Xenologist might be a catchier name (I'm assuming that would be the class which is good at deciphering dead languages and operating ancient technologies). I assume the Doctor wouldnt be a pure healer, but would also have abilities like unleashing diseases or commanding mutant creatures or some such...

Well yeah, those are all good suggestions. We could have a Xenologist as well as a researcher, that would be good. The doctor could have all sorts of neat skills (unless we want to split it off into two subtypes). We can have any number of subtypes as long as we have the skills for them.

Now what I was thinking was - each skill costs a certain number of points. You gain points at each level. If the skill is in your subtype, then you get it one point cheaper. If it's in your archetype, you get it at normal price. If it's outside your archetype, you have to pay one point more. Improving skills is done by buying the same skill a second or third time (or more). Sound good to people? It changes the D20 skill system slightly, but it'd work quite well I think. That way, no-one is denied skills but improving skills is more difficult outside your archetype.

I like that system. Easy to customise, and alot of choice.

I'm also a fan of Hydro's domain system.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 01:29:34 am by Balthamael »
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 15, 2006, 03:54:01 am »
Perhaps scientists could work like clerics in that they can choose their "domians" In short a scientist could choose say both Engineer and Roboticist or pick Geneticist and Xenologist.

Yeah, that's the plan. Since you pick your subtype, that's your "domain", and your skills from your "domain" are cheaper.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #79 on: August 15, 2006, 04:01:38 am »
Here are some more domain examples ...

Example Domains
Astronomy
Biology
Chemestry
Medicine
Physics
Robotics

Examples of Scientist Types
Astronomy + Biology = Xenobiology
Astronomy + Robotics = Unmanned Space Exploration
Astronomy + Physics = Astrophysicist
Biology + Chemestry = Biochemistry
Biology + Medicine = Anatomy
Biology + Robotics = Bionics or Nanotechnology
Chemestry + Medicine = Pharmacist

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2006, 05:27:18 am »
Very intersting idea Hydro.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline Mason11987

• Rally-X Roadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 15, 2006, 05:37:11 am »
Here are some more domain examples ...

Example Domains
Astronomy
Biology
Chemestry
Medicine
Physics
Robotics

Examples of Scientist Types
Astronomy + Biology = Xenobiology
Astronomy + Robotics = Unmanned Space Exploration
Astronomy + Physics = Astrophysicist
Biology + Chemestry = Biochemistry
Biology + Medicine = Anatomy
Biology + Robotics = Bionics or Nanotechnology
Chemestry + Medicine = Pharmacist

I'm liking this.
My Sporepedia page: http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Mason11987
On GS: http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=12609.0

Maxis and Spore - Bringing your imagination to life:

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 15, 2006, 05:41:45 am »
Arcanum uses a smiler idea when i come and think about it. First you have your regular Domains then you can use blueprints that combined the diffrent Domains.

It would also be interesting to see how Fallout 3 (Van Buren) Science system worked. Maybe i will try to find the design docs that i believe are on the internet.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 05:46:17 am by Yokto »
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 01, 2006, 11:33:28 am »
I think another cool idea would be 'factions". Various factions could hire you, and it you completed thier task, your standing with them would increase, and your standing with other factions would change, aswell.

They could have varying degrees of power and influence, and hire you to do differing things.

EG The Black Diamond Gang, The League of Alternate Justices, The Auyuelcliad Empire, The O.T.H.E.R alliance......

Necrobump ftw.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 01, 2006, 02:19:10 pm »
This is a pen and paper game, not a computer game. Outlining factions is something that the GM should do, or that should be left to expansions describing the world. We are only creating the game system.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #85 on: September 01, 2006, 02:23:22 pm »
Well in like D&D "Oriental Adventures" they had diffrent clans. However i agree that this should probbly be up to the DM.