Author Topic: Fanfic PnP?  (Read 15682 times)

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
Fanfic PnP?
« on: July 27, 2006, 02:28:49 am »
As it came up in chat, i was wondering what the forum has to say about a fanfic PnP.

The basic idea is similar to Dnd format (dice roll to hit etc), but with our own races and classes. I'm terrible at maths and theres no way im being Dungeon Master, should we create a campaign. We decided on a special (i think the term is "prestige class") for each race. We are staying away from magic.

Submit any ideas/comments/suggestions here.

THE TEAM:

Balthamael
Daxx
Bonemouse
So far:

Classes
Bounty Hunter:
Fights with Handarms or Knives. Stealthy, fast type of charcter. High DEX and CHA needed.

Soldier:
Fights with larger guns, rifles/shotguns. The Basic fighter-type. High STR and CON needed.

Space Pirate:
Agile and quick. Can ambush other craft with great piloting skills. Good hand to hand as well as hacking skills. Uses pistols, blades and can use cannons.  High DEX and INT

Berseker:
A more damage, but less chance-to-hit soldier. Good perhaps use some kind of adrenaline buffs on it's self. Fights in Melee.

Medic:
The weak healer type, required to keep everyone alive. High Intelligence needed.

Scientist:
Can identify items and enemies and operate advanced technology and gadgets. High Int and Wis. Fights using unorthodox weapons.

Races:
The races on this forum each get +4 extra points to spend.

Eg Auyuelcliad +2 CON +2 WIS]
Special class:
Cantabriaire Knight, Mellee fighter , fights with two swords or a harrakai. Has medic and fighter traits.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 08:36:24 am by Balthamael »

"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: Fanfic PnP?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 02:53:21 am »
Priest seems to me to be a mismatch with the Sci-fi setting... it needs to be 'scientist' or something... maybe 'Technomancer'
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 02:55:02 am »
Space Pirate:
Agile and quick. Can ambush other craft with great piloting skills. Good hand to hand as well as hacking skills. Uses pistols, blades and can use cannons.  High DEX and INT

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 03:07:34 am »
Xenologist:
Can identify items and enemies and operate advanced technology and gadgets. High Int and Wis. Fights using unorthodox weapons. Kind of like a mage.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 04:12:11 am »
Sounds like the system they use in Freedom Force... that would worke pretty well

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 05:04:28 am »
I think we should drop the idea of having fair and equal races. The races are not fair and equal in out the spore universe. Do what d20 dose and use a level Adjustment.

Extream and simplefide example example

Unoriginal Overpowering Alien Space Dragon racial traits

+36 strenght -4 Dexterity +36 constution +26 Wisdom +26 Intelligences -14 Charisma: Unoriginal Overpowering Alien Space Dragon are ridiculously strong a little bit cumpsy have more great health is both wise and intelligent and hated by all because there Unoriginal Overpowering Alien Space Dragons.

level Adjustment +78
Check out my Creatures.
The Æthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 10:51:32 am »
Good ideas all.

Come to think of it, being the DM would be fun. I kinda brainstormed a few ideas today.

I don't have the appropraite dice however.

What are we going to do about melee?
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 11:03:27 am »
Good ideas all.

Come to think of it, being the DM would be fun. I kinda brainstormed a few ideas today.

You can get electronic dices. Just look on the internet for a random generator.
Check out my Creatures.
The Æthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2006, 11:16:32 am »
Good ideas all.

You can get electronic dices. Just look on the internet for a random generator.

You just told me that on chat :p.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2006, 03:18:22 pm »
Anyway i have posted some infomation earlier on DnD and d20. Even if nothing have bin decided about what system will be use there may be some of you that are interested in how d20 works.

Link to Dungeons & Dragons on Gaming Steve
Check out my Creatures.
The Æthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2006, 06:57:42 am »
I think I'm gonna need alot of help from you Yokto.

Should we bother having Alignment?

Perhaps we should have Loyalty...?

EG O.T.H.E.R, CAB and SWU. you could have loyalty to a certain faction.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 12:15:35 pm by Balthamael »

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2006, 01:25:55 pm »
The standard alignment system from DnD should work fine. Good/evil, Law/Chaos

With restrictions. All ViS must be Lawful Neutral :P

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2006, 02:29:05 pm »
Why don't you use the Mutants and Masterminds v1.1 system? It lets you design them to be anything you need. Standard would be PL3. A Torpal, for instance would have:

Str 20, Con 18, Dex 14, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8
BAB +1 (Melee +6)
Defense: 14 (12 Flat Footed)
Skills: Profession (War-Monger) +3
Feats: Durability
Powers: Growth +2 [Extras: Continuous. Flaws: Permanent]

It works like this. Every PL adds 15 points. You spend them like this.
Stats: Base 10. One point per point increased and you gain one for every point you decrease. As a Torpal is strong and aggressive with some cunning, they're high physical stats, average mental stats, with higher wis to represent their predatory nature and low cha to represent that few creatures like their predatory minds
Base Attack Bonus: 3 points per +1. As this is a standard Torpal, he's not got any formal training.
Defense: 2 points per +1. Once again, this is more to represent their natural toughness.
Skills: They work on a 1 for 1 point basis. I gave a +2 here to show natural strength in this.
Feats: 2 per feat. Obvious reasons here.
Powers: Growth supplies natural resilience, an increase in size, and an increase in strength. As the Torpals are big creatures, about 10 feet tall, they are Large creatures by base size. If this one gains 2 more ranks in Growth, he reaches Huge size. The stuff in brackets are extras. As it has the Continuous Extra, and the Permanent Flaw, the powers cost is the same. This means it cannot increase or decrease in size, and is automatically at whatever size the rank changes it to.

So, whatta you all think?
Axel's Playground - Come see what I'm playing with today.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2006, 02:33:41 pm »
Interesting. Do you have a link to materials on this?

Offline Bonemouse

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2006, 12:56:05 am »
Now, I'm not a PnP gamer (even though I had many books in my youth but no one to play with) but I've been listening to the  Dragon's Landing podcast and they're developing an a (OGL) system that I think could be used in this universe.

I've even considered contacting some of the creators here to see if they'd be interested in adapting their creatures into a module (be it D20 or DL's system). And I do believe if that the creatures would have to be adapted and changed to fit into a cohesive whole. And this is partly the reason I never got around to contacting anyone. How would one approach, let's say Hydro for example, and say I want to use the Nauceans in a PnP game but I need to make some significant changes to them so that they meet the required design criteria. These would include subtle changes to their appearance and cutting out huge chunks of the history you developed.

That said, I do think that there is potential for a successful, commercial PnP world from what has spawned here. And if someone is brave enough to seriously take this task on, I'd be willing to offer my creative services to bring this to life.