Author Topic: Neil Gaiman  (Read 4620 times)

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
Neil Gaiman
« on: July 26, 2006, 01:35:52 am »
I picked up two of his books out of curiosity; after reading Good Omens, i was sure I'd be impressed.

I have just finished Neverwhere and I've just started American Gods.

It's a bit darker than Prattchett, but i like his style.

Anyone a Neil Gaiman fan?

"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: Neil Gaiman
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 02:27:37 am »
Ive read Good Omens, nuff said
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

werechicken

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 10:05:12 am »
guess I'll have to read a few, now that you've mentioned them.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 09:57:26 pm »
Gaiman is a great writer, though I still prefer his work on Good Omens (obviously). American Gods and Anansi Boys are really good reads, but I miss the humor Pratchett brings with him. And if you're looking for something reasonably fantastic with some good humor in it, give the Bartimaeus trilogy a try. It's actually quite entertaining.

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 01:28:57 am »
The Bartimaeus trilogy by Jonathan Stroud? Read it, it's fantastic.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 03:49:02 pm »
I read a few Gaiman books, and though the writing can put you off in its weirdness, they're nice to read. Then I saw his comics(I'm sorry. "Graphic novels") and realized he's extremely pretentious. Not even Mirrormask helped in reverting that opinion. Still love him for Good Omens though.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 09:31:20 am »
I read a few Gaiman books, and though the writing can put you off in its weirdness, they're nice to read. Then I saw his comics(I'm sorry. "Graphic novels") and realized he's extremely pretentious. Not even Mirrormask helped in reverting that opinion. Still love him for Good Omens though.

Oh, he is. But man, after Sandman, I'm going to allow him a certain level of pretention. That series was amazing.

Offline Hiro Protagonist

• Brain Games Mastermind
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 02:42:38 pm »
I've only read Neverwhere by Gaiman quite recently. I found it decent, but nothing I'd add to my own bookshelf. I'm rather interested in American Gods so I hope you're enjoying it.

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 01:08:47 pm »
I've only read Neverwhere by Gaiman quite recently. I found it decent, but nothing I'd add to my own bookshelf. I'm rather interested in American Gods so I hope you're enjoying it.
American Gods is much better. Nice little twist at the end, although the book can be confusing.

Offline Little

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • I'm a drunk...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006, 01:32:56 pm »
I just loved Anasai's Boys. It's number two on my top ten list.

Necrobumped  ;)
The best person ever.  She should have won the Peace Prize.

What? No full control over children? You do realize that some of us have particular plans for those children.

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 02:59:02 am »
Gaiman's got a very fun and a very quirky writing style and I'm definitely a fan.  Neverwhere is incredibly cool and if you get a chance, try to see the BBC Miniseries (which, like the Hitchhiker's Guide radio play, came before the book) if you can stomach really cheap special effects.  The Sandman series does reek of pretention but I find if I get over it and just read it for what it is, it's a really amazing ride.  As for American Gods, initially I was really dissapointed with it because I felt it lacked a lot of his more whimsical writing styles but I reread it  over the summer and it's actually a good read.  Anansi Boys (the book he wanted to write initially instead of American Gods) is much more British and wacky.  One more note, I've read that Gaiman's biggest complaint about Good Omens is that everyone assumes he wrote the dour and dark bits while Pratchett got in all the jokes.  He claims this is not true.  After reading Anansi Boys, I'm inclined to agree with the man.  -leeman

Offline jov

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2007, 12:12:55 am »
sandman reaks of pretention?  try reading moore's the watchmen.

i'd wager that gaiman is a calm and quiet guy. i find his work amazing, having read sandman, and american gods. i've watched neverwhere, and mirrormask. and though i don't know japanese, i do like mononoke which gaiman translated. i should read ananzi boys, and probably good omens. there is something joyous to read a good creepy fairy tale. dark and brooding might seem "goth," but if you read any grimm's brother (or even the stories those were based off of) you'll appreciate the darker side of fantasy.

now, pretention does come into play when your audience adores you. we could say that miyamoto or tarantino are pretentious at times. i think we'd be right. but that should not negate their craft, if you feel they have any.

Offline skewedjester

• Video Pinball Wizard
  • The Book of Jester holds the truth...usually.
    • View Profile
    • My Sporepedia Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2007, 04:03:56 am »
I've read several works of Neil Gaiman, but I've never read Sandman, so I am curious to hear about any sort of pretension. Can anyone give me some examples?

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2007, 10:08:04 am »
They made Neverwhere into a TV show, and it was pretty damn good. I've been trying to find my own copy of it somewhere for a while now.