Author Topic: Fight Club  (Read 7093 times)

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
Fight Club
« on: July 24, 2006, 09:31:08 am »
There has been discussion about Fight Club, but never a topic about it.

I saw it for the first time last night on Spike TV. That was messed up! I'm gonna need to see that again.

And since this is one of those movies where one spoiler can ruin everything:

PLEASE POST A SPOILER WARNING OR MASK YOUR TEXT

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
Re: Fight Club
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 10:50:47 am »
Great movie - one of my favourites.  You need to watch it two or three times before you can really appreciate it.  There are little things that you notice each time that you weren't sure about before/or that you notice.  A brilliant film, but it's a shame that the ending was so poor... but that can't be helped because it's based on a book.

Gets 8/10 from me.

TheNecromonicon

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 02:40:56 pm »
This movie is a classic. Truely fuxxord, like any good movie should be. 10/10.

Offline Cruithne

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • Liquorice Bomb
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 04:35:52 pm »
Incredibly overrated movie. Real men don't like fight club. Fight Club is for boys who are afraid of growing up.

;)

Offline Fink

• Elevator Action Operator
  • I have more stars than you
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 04:39:01 pm »
I herd the book was better

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 04:43:05 pm »

As it usually the case.  Books can convey ideas and stories a lot better than films.

Oh, and by the way, i just noticed that my avatar is from Fight Club.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 07:15:06 pm »
I just noticed too.

SPOILER: The soap was made of nitroglycerin? That's how they blew all that stuff up?

Why did they want to blow that stuff up anyway?

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 05:03:11 am »
It is.

In the book, they make the soap out of Marla's mother's fat.

SPOILER:
Because they listened to a little too much Rage Against the Machine.

Offline huggkruka

• Space Ace
  • Totally powers
    • View Profile
    • My Digitalart.org profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 10:25:42 am »
There's really only one thing working against Fight Club, and that is that it's spawned one of the most retared internet groups ever, the space monkeys. Check out the IMDb site for Fight club...

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 06:19:36 pm »
Hold the phone here...

We never knew the main character's name? (Not Tyler, obviously) I remember him having one, but now I can't remember what it is.

Offline Golgrig

• Star Castle Cadet
  • I am Will Wright's complete lack of suprise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 01:23:44 am »
"may i never be complete, may i never be contented, please tyler save me from being perfect and complete." this is what Joe thought as the phone rang and once Tyler picked up the story really began

the book is darker than the movie in one way: Tyler's actions in the movie are mostly done by Joe in the book
but even Palahniuk credits Fincher with cleaning up and polishing the story that Chuck wrote
Palahniuk calls fight club apostolic fiction, the book is not the story of joe so much as it is the story of tyler as seen through joe's eyes
the movie is the world as seen by joe with tyler butting in

on so many levels both the book and the movie have given me imense entertainment and forced me to examine myself

as for the movie my favorite scene is the chemical burn scene, the score by th Dust Brothers really brought it an edge that the visuals alone would not have, in the book its even more about giving in to tyler and tyler bring up memories of a more rebellious time in Joe's life after he left college

the "Rahmund K. Hessel" 7/11 scene is the best if youve read the book as well b/c jack sees it in the movie , and Joe does it in the book, the question left to the audience is if scarring the **** out of someone to motivate them to live and dream again is right

**if your confused by the Jack/ Joe  thing, the narrorator is "Jack" in the movie "Joe" in the book *
"6.4 Um's per minute" or "The Speed of Wright

An adventurer in the land of who gives a ****

The idea is to mix one ingredient that will burn very fast with a second ingredient that will supply enough oxygen for that burning. This burns so fast, it's an explosion.

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2006, 08:07:51 am »
He doesn't have a name in either the book or the movie, the whole Jack/Joe thing is just because of those Reader's Digest magazines he finds in Tyler's house. "I am Joe's colon," etc.

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2007, 02:08:41 pm »
I saw this today was blown away.

I really appreciated the feeling I got after watching the film, and can sympathise alot with a massive amount of the film.

I liked the whole anarchist portion, with them being without a master whillst fighting, and all equal in the Club.

I think something that allowed me to appreciate it is that I have participiated in such 'Fun-fights' before, although 'Fun Fights' has the connotation of being somehow juvenile and 'easy-going', whereas ours were pretty brutal, which was part of the fun. Pushing yourself, and showing friends that your friendship is strong enough for you to enjoy something like that is quite a cool experience.

"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2007, 03:08:52 pm »
My brother loves Fight Club. He loves the movie and the book.

I haven't read the book, but the movie is quite good. I don't know if I would say amazing, but really great.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline B.A.S.

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • WAR GSP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2007, 05:10:32 pm »
Check out my Avatar. Tyler Durden for the win, Im an avid Fight Club fan its possibly one of the best movies made period. Story is pretty surprising and the little hints they threw in there were amazing. *Before Tyler Durden becomes Prominent there will be parts in the movie where theres a bit of a flash, if you pause the movie you will see Tyler Durden, this happens because it shows the progression of the main characters turn into his Alter Ego..Tyler Durden*
Your Friendly Canadian Fighter :)
"It is defeat that turns bone to flint, gristle to muscle- it is defeat that makes men invincible"- Henry Ward Beecher
Inkling:Durgon only comes by when he is taking a break from beating up people and animals