Author Topic: a world without herbivores?  (Read 9265 times)

Offline Gianavel

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
Re: a world without herbivores?
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2006, 10:24:15 pm »
Of course, I actually intend for it to be pretty small and weak-kinda like those tiny little things you see being eaten in the gameplay video. But it shall be very social...Something about 60 small little creatures eating a large one sounds awesome.

One of the things I plan on doing someday is getting several Chihuahuas and training them to be attack dogs.  I figure, start with 10 and adjust numbers accordingly based upon results.  Just the image of some poor sap being mauled by a pack of Chihuahuas brings a smile to my face...

To be a little more on topic, I think that playing an omnivore will probably be the easiest route, and that will be the types of creatures we'll see a growth spurt early on.  As people become more familiar with creature design and gameplay, we'll see more player created carnivores and herbivores.

While I doubt that the game will generate a world that's nothing but carnivores, I think it's possible for the player to engineer one if done properly.  Would be a savage place to grow up, though.

Offline chrisis

• Lunar Lander Leader
  • Kabumba
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2006, 02:45:18 am »
A world with only carnivores is impossible. When something gets eaten you lose energy in the process. So if no new energy gets added they will slowly die out.
The energy I'm talking about is the energy from the sun that brings life.

You could only design a carnivourous planet if you make a few runs in the ufo to bring new creatures to sustain balance. And I think its only natural that carnivores will start eating plants when extreme hunger sets in. So evolving into omnivores.
Riligious people believe god created man, I believe man created god.
And after the Spore release you can be god ^^

Offline Protoavis

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2006, 03:32:03 am »
A world with only carnivores is impossible.

You're thinking is limited to earth like systems and environments. You're assuming that the energy for the food chain is obtained from sunlight via photosynthesis.
"Oh mummy, the bad man said bad things, please mummy...mummy" said the 20+ yr old man.

Offline Zneeezzz

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
SV: a world without herbivores?
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2006, 03:52:57 am »
well? can't carnivores eat other carnivores?  :P
can we play as scavangers?

most of my creatures will be hebravores, (I'm the healer guy in MMO's) I like to live in constant fear, always running and defending yourself :D
most hebravores will probably live in packs anyway, eating their vegetables to get stronger than the carnivores, if you unlock different parts depending on what you eat I'm sure the hebravores will have more parts that are needed to keep the carnivores away, like horns, tusks, pansar skin, big weapons on tails etc

Offline Nogardian

• Space Invaders Junkie
  • I Indeed Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2006, 04:41:10 am »
What is this about Herbs being week and defensive you telling me a Rhino or Hippo or bull won’t try to kill me!
Just because your a Herb doesn’t mean you can't kill murder and maim! You just don't eat them that’s all.
I hope all you ravenous carnivores! Get conquered by a race of super intelligence cows!

And Hello.....
Do you think god will sue Will Wright for stealing his idea?
and do you go to hell for playing Spore?

And for all you belivers Spore dose on the fly what took God 6 days and a rest to do....

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2006, 06:55:03 am »
It seems likely that Herbivores will be less common but not entirely uncommon. I plan on making one just for the sake of seeing how to hunt for plants. After all, plants are much more plentiful, and a big herbivore with a high social is just as good as a big carnivore with high attack.
Axel's Playground - Come see what I'm playing with today.

Offline ChristianSkunk

• Astrosmasher!
  • I stink, therefore I am.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2006, 08:10:41 am »
What is this about Herbs being week and defensive you telling me a Rhino or Hippo or bull won’t try to kill me!
Just because your a Herb doesn’t mean you can't kill murder and maim! You just don't eat them that’s all.
I hope all you ravenous carnivores! Get conquered by a race of super intelligence cows!

And Hello.....

Nice first post!  Welcome! :)

On topic...  You can have an ecosystem of carnivores only if there's no clear food chain.  A eats B eats C eats D eats E... eventually you'll get to the bottom of the chain, and if that's a carnivore, and there are no herbivores/scavengers (unless you start talking about insects, but that's called an insectivore or something, not carnivore, last I knew), then that last guy doesn't have anything to eat.  You'd have to have a stalemate, where sometimes A eats B and sometimes B eats A, so each get enough food to survive but neither gets the upper hand over the other.
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day."
"Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the mortality rate is one hundred percent." - R.D. Laing
"It's only by fate that any life ends and only by chance that it is mine, not yours."

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2006, 10:25:46 am »
Potentially, it could work like this.

Bigger Carnivore
   ^
    l
Small Carnivore
   ^
    l
Insectivore
   ^
    l
Insect
   ^
    l
Bacteria

So it IS potentially possible. Everything would just have to grow and mature faster than rabbits.

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2006, 05:10:51 pm »
as a maximum, eating something can only give you a third of the nutrition that goes into what you eat, but that's earth biology.  suppose you got 99.9% with some super-advanced biology.  you couldn't get 100% or more.  0.1% would be wasted, and that's ignoring the energy expended in activity.  there simply would not be any energy going into the system and there would be a constant amount of energy being wasted, so eventually all the energy in the system is depleted.  here's a diagram:

I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2006, 06:36:06 pm »
Hence why my design showed Insects eating Bacteria. In that design, there are no multi-celluar herbivores.

Offline Zellman

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2006, 07:01:41 pm »
The problem with Axelgear's plan is that the bacteria would have to get energy from somewhere.  In a real ecosystem there are chains like the one he has created, but the bottom one always has to generate energy using the sun.  (plants, plankton, algea) 

I think that I agree with many of you when I say that I think it would be a completely different gameplay to be an herbivore, because your method of play would be defensive rather than offensive.  Which might lead to a less violent space age civilization because they didn't have to kill to get where they are.   I think I would like to ally with some herbivore based space empire.  They would probably be smarter becuase rather than just building new popguns they were thinking about things.  Just a thought.

Offline Evil Lil Spore

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2006, 07:13:15 pm »
I am fairly that deep at the bottom of the ocean there are ecosystems with no sunlight what so ever, and they survive. I am not sure if those ecosystems have herbivores, but i doubt it... So I think it is possible.

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2006, 07:16:32 pm »
I don't think they have herbivores either, but they do get energy from bacteria that live off the deep sea vents. So theoretically I guess it is possible.

Offline Demonic Spoon

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2006, 07:20:10 pm »
I am fairly that deep at the bottom of the ocean there are ecosystems with no sunlight what so ever, and they survive. I am not sure if those ecosystems have herbivores, but i doubt it... So I think it is possible.

They are the exception. Down there, photosynthesis is replaced by chemosynthesis...where instead of sunlight, minerals, etc. from the terrain down there is used to make food.

Offline Evil Lil Spore

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2006, 07:40:53 pm »
And does that ecosystem have herbivores?