Poll

Who has lucid dreams, and who doesn't?

Lucid Dreams
Non-Lucid Dreams
No Dreams

Author Topic: Dreams  (Read 157128 times)

Offline Kishmond

• Space Harrier
  • Alfalfa Mainframe
    • View Profile
    • I'll Eat Your Brains
Re: Dreams
« Reply #1500 on: January 18, 2011, 01:30:20 am »
  The setting is Purgatory, an endless expanse of rocky desert, dead trees, and sparse shrubs. I am a greeter. I wait by the Entrance to welcome the new less-fortunates and show them around where they'll be spending the rest of eternity. The newest arrival (His name was Pat. I am not kidding.) expresses concern over his girlfriend. She had to have died in the accident that killed him. Why wasn't she here? Thinking I already know the answer, I lead him back to the shanty town we live in. Signs of comfort tend to attract His displeasure, so we keep the town above ground dilapidated and primitive. All our technology is underground. I check the databases; the man's girlfriend was sent to Heaven for "selfless charity and naivete". When he was told his Significant Other was an Angel, he took it fairly well. We get on with our afterlives.

Later. Some citizens and I are stargazing. We know that Hell is out there, somewhere, about as far away as Pluto is from the Earth. The spirits here can fly, in a way. It takes some practice, but if you move your legs in a stair climbing motion very very fast the slow air doesn't have time to move away. I am one of the best, but I can only barely clear the stratosphere (the whole Universe is filled with air so this is not an issue) before my legs turn to jelly. Why do we try to get to Hell? I've never met anyone from there, and there's nothing in the databases about who gets sent to Hell, but sometimes we get messages. They say that's where spirits go where they can be free of His influence. Sheer distance liberates them.

Hell is up, and Heaven is down. The only way there from here is a locked freight elevator in one of our basements. Every now and then an emissary from Heaven visits to sort out paperwork, census information, etc. This scheduled visit was unorthodox. God Himself payed us a visit flanked by his most loyal Seraphs and an information-handling MSE-6 droid.

God was a clean-shaven middle-aged Caucasian man with close-cut jet black hair and a perfect politician physique. Everything about Him was perfect, of course. Fingernails, eyebrows, every tiny hair on His arm, exactly as they should be. He was wearing a midnight black business suit. His Seraphs just looked like normal people in formal clothing. No wings or obvious weapons. Pat, behind me, gasped. One of the Seraphs was his long lost girlfriend. It had been years, but that was a very short time to achieve such a rank. She did not acknowledge his existence.

Business proceeded as usual despite the VIP presence. I was the main accountant of this town and, unbeknown to Him, the foremost authority for miles around on thwarting God's will. I loathed taking his sizable bribes, but I had to maintain appearances. We concluded amicably and just as the elevator rose (Yes, rose. To go down. I don't get it either.) out of sight I caught confirmation that our hacker had taken control of the MSE droid, including video feed.

The ride took only minutes though we got the impression of vast distances being crossed. The doors opened onto a one-story clubhouse-type building, furnished in ordinary-looking decor such as you would find in an average law firm. This was Heaven HQ, and I had the controls of the droid. No one was the wiser, and I poked around cubicles and hallways the legs of various secretaries and officials until I found the office of God Himself. It was surprisingly small, with only room for an average-looking desk, a window, and a bookcase. The bookcase was filled with books with titles like "How to Extend a Small Phase Quantum Waveform through Trans-Newtonian Objects" and other such nonsense. Of more interest to me was His computer. For those of you curious about such things, God runs Windows 2000 and enjoys such games as Black & White. His desktop was cluttered and had the default plain blue background. He struck me as being not very computer literate.

My goal was sabotage. knowing He could walk in any moment to see a random MSE-6 hooked to His computer, I worked fast deleting as many folders as I could. When I could bear waiting around no longer I disconnected and headed straight out of the building.

This was the biggest surprise. I had expected Heaven to be all pristine and, well... heaven. In reality it didn't look much different from the Purgatory I had spent so long haunting. The same harsh sun beat down from the same always-cloudless sky. The difference here was that instead of living in shacks and bunkers the Angels lived in grids of new-looking houses. With it's transplanted grass, bare dirt lots, and tiny baby trees the whole place gave the impression of an unfinished and sterile suburban neighborhood. And it was unfinished; in the distance I could see automated construction-bots making more houses. A few Angels (Remember there were no wings or halos or other fancy things. They were just ordinary people in ordinary clothes.) walked briskly down the sidewalk, their eyes always downcast.

One house had a back door propped open. Despite a finished looking exterior, on the inside this house was nothing but plain drywall and a concrete floor covered in dust, old nails, and other construction debris. There were no lights, but a mattress and pile of discarded clothing on the floor told me someone had to live here. I found him in the next room, a so-called Angel sitting in a corner in a business suit that looked like it had been worn for days. His breathing was shallow and strained, almost sobbing.

I left in a hurry, and was rolling the droid down the sidewalk when on the other side of the street a maniacal man ran right up to another, brandishing a sharp piece of scrap steel. After shouting something incoherent, the maniac stabbed the other Angel in the face. There was no blood, but a kind of ethereal pale blue sand coming from the wound on the screaming Angel's face. In all my years, no one I knew back in Purgatory had ever gotten injured. I didn't know it was possible.

It wasn't long before several humanoid construction droids showed up and wrestled the maniac to the floor. A third, holding a huge sledgehammer, solemnly walked up and crushed his skull flat. Where did spirits go when they died? Maybe he simply stopped being. At this thought, I woke up.

Chilling, but very interesting. Oh, and one more thing. Dates in the database in Purgatory showed this to have occurred about 18 thousand years ago, Earth-time. Not long after the Earth and the material Universe was made. So maybe God had time to get His act together, who knows.

Offline Gungnir

• Marble Madness Maniac
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: January 18, 2011, 01:59:06 am »
Fun dream last night: All the (eleven) colleges I applied to rejected me. I end up feeling like a failure.

That's about it.
They're collectible! Sorta...

Offline Uroboros

• SunDog Pilot
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: January 18, 2011, 02:01:00 am »
Kishmond, that is amazing. Not just the dream but the retelling. 7am and I haven't slept yet, and in a brief stroke of (further) lack of common sense, I decided to visit here before I slept.
Hopefully this'll help tonights dream to be more interesting...

Offline Haseri

• Elevator Action Operator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: January 18, 2011, 05:49:48 am »
I had a dream the other night the Mythbusters found dead bodies at the place they do experiments.

Offline Galactic-Warrior

• Pack M.U.L.E.
  • Where did this fish come from?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: January 18, 2011, 11:42:01 am »
Huh, weird. I'm watching Mythbusters right now. And I would say what dream I had, but unfortunately, I had problems sleeping last night so I'll get back to you on that.
In space, no one can hear you scream unless your transmitting it on the right radio frequency.

Weird City: Add a inhabitant!, Add some industry!

Offline munchkin5

• Boulder Dasher
  • Gentlemen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: January 18, 2011, 11:43:23 am »
I dreamt i had the day off and was watching t.v, and then i woke up half an hour late for college. True story.

Offline Kishmond

• Space Harrier
  • Alfalfa Mainframe
    • View Profile
    • I'll Eat Your Brains
« Reply #1506 on: February 01, 2011, 02:38:23 pm »
An island city somewhere on Earth, the Future...

Four main groups live on the island, Humans, Free Robots, the Neegar, and the Middlers. Humans are self-explanatory. The Neegar are an alien race that have conquered at least this island if not the whole world and are the main governing body. Their Capitol building is fortress-like and imposing, surrounded by walls. The humans, except for a few mercenaries, are hunted down and sometimes imprisoned but mostly killed on sight by the Neegar. The Middlers are slug-like aliens from another dimension that are treated not much better than slaves by the Neegar. They do all the unpleasant or dirty jobs. I forgot what they are officially called but the humans call their dimension The Middle because there are rumors of another Universe even further than theirs. Hence, Middlers. Nobody really likes the Free Robots but the humans at least tolerate them.

I was a human hiding out in an abandoned building with 3 others: a girl named Lily, a guy named Dian (like Ian with a D), and another guy whose name I forgot. One day I ventured into the attic of a neighboring building which turned out to be a Neegar residence. Long story short, we were discovered and had to run. Everyone got separated except Dian and I who wandered the harbor area for a while, staying in temporary hiding places for the night. One day we stayed at a human underground camp and met a Neegar sympathetic to the human cause. This was pretty unheard of. We didn't go on any daring adventures bent on overthrowing the oppressive Neegar regime. We weren't anything as ambitious as that.

We split up over some silly disagreement and I went to the Middler-Pools. This was where the portal to The Middle was. It was a lake filled with spillover from their dimension, a kind of greasy yellow fog so think you could swim in it. The entrance was at the bottom. Incidentally I met Lily here. She was planning to go to The Middle for some reason. It must have been good because this yellow fog had some really bizarre health effects on humans.

Anyway that's all I remember.

Offline Flisch

• Mail Order Monster
  • Banned - 10/07/13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: February 01, 2011, 08:19:59 pm »
Invite me to your dreams. D:
There is, of course, a difference between having a laugh with someone, and having a laugh at their expense

Offline Crazen

• Duck Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: February 01, 2011, 09:04:12 pm »
I have complex dreams like that sometimes.

but not last time. it was just me with a plastic pole fighting Lord Voldemort.
Quote from: SimplyNecro
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline Kishmond

• Space Harrier
  • Alfalfa Mainframe
    • View Profile
    • I'll Eat Your Brains
« Reply #1509 on: February 01, 2011, 09:52:05 pm »
Also one time I had a dream that what we know as cockroaches are actually a kind of spaceship for a race of microscopic master bioengineers.

Offline Kishmond

• Space Harrier
  • Alfalfa Mainframe
    • View Profile
    • I'll Eat Your Brains
« Reply #1510 on: February 10, 2011, 12:44:47 am »
  I was an orphan at a monastery run by monks who did lycanthropy experiments. On the orphans. Our friends would disappear one night and never come back. There were mass graves over acres of land. We knew about the experiments, of course. What we didn't know about was their little side-project.

Late one night everyone was awakened by a periodic rumbling as if of something very large walking. We looked out the window and saw a large roughly humanoid shape on the edge of the graveyard. As it got closer we could tell just how large it was: at least 2 stories tall. Conveniently that was the height of the house we were in. I was on the second floor.

It stepped into a moonlit clearing and we could see just what it was. It was an undead monstrosity made out of the collective animated corpses of dozens of dead orphans. It was made out of dead orphans. It's easy to imagine how horrified I was, especially as it continued to move closer. When it got to the window it punched through it. We scattered but it's fingers, each one made up of a single corpse who were in turn flailing their arms about wildly, grabbed a few and pulled them outside. The lucky ones made it to the basement, where we hid all night. We called it the corpse-masher.

Luckily for us, in the morning we were saved both from the monster and from the monks by the crew of Serenity.

Offline sgore

• Boulder Dasher
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: February 10, 2011, 12:54:24 am »
  Luckily for us, in the morning we were saved both from the monster and from the monks by the crew of Serenity.
Best deus ex machina I've ever seen.
"Why yes, that is a comprehensive list of all the different ways you can incorrectly use a lampshade."

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline Great Distance

• Elevator Action Operator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: February 23, 2011, 08:09:57 pm »
The sky was colored with shades of gray on top of the low built tower. I could feel the sun shining behind the clouds and the fresh wind on my face. The smell reminded me of the last days of winter when cold water would run in creeks on streets and crumbling forest roads.

For some time I had searched for a place to hide inside the windy attics of the tower. I looked for tight recesses in the walls, shadowy spaces underneath the bunks. Chests, closets, closed spaces. Dust flowed in the air as I fumbled across the attic. The only four-pane window in the room cast its dim light on a beautiful antique nightstand and the revolver it was carrying on top of it. I opened the drawer underneath and found four bullets. I put one in the barrel. Dust rose in a flurry and was sent dancing across the air.

Having heard noises in the hallway, I packed myself against the wall and hastily sent my eyes searching for hiding places. One recess in the wall, one shadowy place underneath the bunk. Concluding that I couldn't make it there without making a sound, I chose to stay still instead, my eyes still searching around the room. The door was half-open. The noises stopped. I gripped my gun tight and pointed it at the doorway. A pair of boots emerged into sight. Just as I was about to pull the trigger the feet disappeared and the noises continued upstairs.

I took the gun and followed the footsteps into the roof. The air was chilly and the rugged rocks were cracking under my feet. Luckily the military-dressed man didn't take notice. He was at the edge of the roof, gazing into the distance and leaning onto the few boulders that were set there as a barrier between the rock floor and thin air. Thick fog was rising from the ground obscuring the view to the grasslands below.

I took a moment to adjust my pose. I took aim and fired.

The shot rang in the valleys around us. It didn't take a moment for the man's eyes to face mine. The look on his face was a look of intense resolve and concentration. The man pointed his gun's barrel straight at me.

The sound echoed for a minute. I could feel the brisk summer air. The pain was sharp and warm. The smell in the wind reminded me of melting snow.

I was amazed to hear what he had to say next. The man took a moment to pause in shock and call my name. He knew me, and he thought I knew him. Perhaps I was supposed to. I didn't. He asked me if he had hurt me badly. I asked if I had hurt him at all. I had missed. He hadn't.

I peeled off my chest armour and showed him the wound and the blood spreading on my clothes. "You hit me straight in the heart", I said. He looked shocked and baffled and apologised.

I was starting to feel confused. I shot at him first, but he was the one who was sorry. "Don't worry. You were defending yourself." I said. "I shouldn't have shot at you", I continued.

More closely inspecting my wounds the man was starting to look completely devastated and increasingly remorseful and I started to feel the same thing. If only I hadn't shot at him, all of this could have been avoided. "I really shouldn't have shot at you", I said. "I'm an idiot. I'm so sorry."

Despite my best attempts, the man wouldn't stop his flow of apologies and even offered to get me to a doctor. But it was too late for that, I said. I never had wanted to die of being shot in the heart. It was true what I heard, wasn't it? When you get shot, you don't immediately drop dead like in the movies. Not even if you're shot in the heart. You suffer painfully until you die. And today I die.

The cold wind reminded me of a winter breeze. The sky was grey, but the sun was shining somewhere.

Offline Yuu

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #1513 on: February 23, 2011, 08:29:31 pm »
Last night I dreamed I was a pony in Ponyville.

I think I even saw some of my OCs there, as ponies.

Didn't get the chance to meet the main characters, though...

Offline Inkling

• Wasteland Warrior
  • What?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: February 23, 2011, 08:45:29 pm »
That was a crazy awesome dream, GD.

And Yuu, it's time for an intervention.

The Gockets, etc: http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=7813.0
Ink was a winner that one time but the image broke!

"If you don't notice that it sucks, then it must be good" - Chaim Gingold