Are drawings essential to a creature?

Yes
10 (29.4%)
No
14 (41.2%)
Sometimes
10 (29.4%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: If you can't draw should you just give up?  (Read 6364 times)

Offline gutwrencher89

• Star Castle Cadet
  • NO!
    • View Profile
Re: If you can't draw should you just give up?
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2006, 09:46:11 pm »
I know what you mean with people misinterperating ideas you have in your head.  However, if you ask someone to do a drawing for you, you could say "wow, that looks cooler than I pictured it." or you might say, "thats not what I had in mind, but i like so and so about it".  On the same topic, though, some people might get the wrong image in their head about the creature and visualize it differently than you intended, much like the example you used with the people making a movie illustrating something differently than you imagined.  If you have a picture, that solves this problem.

I really don't think that entire paragraph made any sense

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2006, 11:12:27 pm »
It did. To summerise, without a definate picture, readers will interpret what you write and generate their own image of your creature in their heads. Getting someone to draw your creature will attach your creature to that image in peoples minds, unless they get it right.. which can be a good or a bad thing, depending on if the drawer will adjust their picture if its not to your liking.

Writing ability is a good replacement for a decent drawing ability.
Then again, in the end, if someone doesnt feel like learning about your creature, it'll take a lot more than an interesting bio or a mediocre picture to actually get them to stick around and listen. Me? Im here because im bored :D

Offline Zneeezzz

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
SV: If you can't draw should you just give up?
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2006, 07:21:23 am »
well I ignore everything that does not have a picture to it :P

Offline aname

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • The name's Mario, Mario Mario.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2006, 07:24:44 am »
im actually pretty good at drawing i just can't get THIS SCANNER TO WORK!!!! >:(
Back in black, with a gray dry brush and a red stiple effect.

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2006, 10:32:25 am »
I can't draw. Check out The Auyuelcliad thread! I drew all those pictures, and they're not exactly brilliant, are they? as long as you get your "point" across i don't think the quality matters.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline gutwrencher89

• Star Castle Cadet
  • NO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2006, 02:36:39 pm »
I can't draw. Check out The Auyuelcliad thread! I drew all those pictures, and they're not exactly brilliant, are they? as long as you get your "point" across i don't think the quality matters.
enough said