Are drawings essential to a creature?

Yes
10 (29.4%)
No
14 (41.2%)
Sometimes
10 (29.4%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: If you can't draw should you just give up?  (Read 8308 times)

Offline Smem

• Mystery House Madman
  • British Waffle
    • View Profile
Re: If you can't draw should you just give up?
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2006, 03:20:35 pm »
I only stayed on this forum because i found out i could draw endlesly with out poeople going "that sucks now this is how its done right", were they show some godly picture which they probably spent a day on.... it happened on other forums  :'( well any way i didnt see a13gt stick drawings but to jump to what he does now in 2 weeks is a good acomplishment  ;D.....and if you cant draw that what the requests threads are for
Waffles own you: Dude you hate me ='(
Smem: i hate no one
Waffles own you: what about pigeons :p
Smem: pigeons arn't one they are many

Offline a14gt

• Lode Runner
  • Raised from the dead!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2006, 03:33:29 pm »
well it wasen't as good as i am now but pretty close,i'm still improving so don't give me all that much credit
Bow down fool. HAHAHA!

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2006, 03:46:14 pm »
You can do well without drawing skills. But you should atleast try to draw even if it comes out crappy. Becuase the sad truth is people like pictures with their text. I sudgest a picture with every post you do in your creature thread. Even if it is crappy looking and/or on artpad. And don't forget Huggs and my Creature Editor 2.0!! It may be limited at this stage but it is better than nothing !! :D
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 03:53:53 pm by Hydromancerx »

Offline Genesis

• Elevator Action Operator
  • Greetings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2006, 03:50:25 pm »
Maybe your right, I always automatically think all my (And most pictures here,) are pretty bad because my only comparison is an older sibling who can hand paint/draw at about the skill of that 3D Naucean on hydro's first post, if not better. But now that I can compare my stuff to people who aren't planing on painting for a living I can judge with a little better accuracy. (No offense to anyone.)

What will you do?

Offline Smem

• Mystery House Madman
  • British Waffle
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2006, 03:59:52 pm »
Well i personly would like to improve my drawigns so i like it when people say some sort of critisism...aslong as its not somthing like "That sucks, now heres what it should have looked like" or somthing that is obveously ment to offence...

..well atleast that what i think i want, i dont get much of it so i dont really know  :-\
Waffles own you: Dude you hate me ='(
Smem: i hate no one
Waffles own you: what about pigeons :p
Smem: pigeons arn't one they are many

Offline ollj

• Asteroids Aficionado
  • "procedurally generated"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2006, 08:38:00 pm »
Yes most drawings on this forum look horribly like being painted by 8 year olds, including the ViS.
Hillarously (more in a good way) low quality, but way better than nothing, creature drawings help the idea no matter how low the quality is.

This is generally not a drawing contest board, ingame editors & engine take care of graphic looks.
On First view this looks like a kindergarden drawing collection, but actually its at least a 3rd grade fiction collection supported by simple drawings.

Offline The Terminator

• Kaboom Boomer!
  • I'll Be Back!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2006, 10:14:37 pm »
It seems that if you don't have amazing drawings you are instantly ignored on these boards, even if there is a lot of well thought out info. I won't lie, I sometimes skip over things with no pictures too. But do you think that no pictures shows a lack of effort?
Practice, take a model or good pre-made drawing and copy it (Not Trace It!) After time you will get better and better. (I still use pictures n stuff to look at how it's supposed to look like such as hands, noses, feet.) If you want it to look good add a bit of extra decorations, armor, parts etc. but not too much.

The Giganommoths AKA THE OWNAGE!!!: http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=5817.0

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2006, 02:43:01 am »
Yes most drawings on this forum look horribly like being painted by 8 year olds, including the ViS.

<gasp!> You know very well an 8 year old would be unable to competantly use gradients in powerpoint!  :P
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline gutwrencher89

• Star Castle Cadet
  • NO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2006, 09:16:00 am »
I really think that drawings are pretty essential to a creature since they illustrate to everyone exactly what they look like, but like almost everyone before me said, it doesn't matter how good they are.  There are many ways to go about making your creature;
you could use the creature editor, ask another person to draw it for you, or just draw to the best of your ability.  If the drawing is your creation and from your mind, no one can say that it sucks and could only offer you tips on how to improve your drawings, which would help you.

Offline HanianKnight

• Choplifter Captain
  • He's Probably a Good Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2006, 09:21:42 am »
yeah ,  I started using some paint program on my pc last night and now I have 4 drawings( one went ob thread, 3 are still waiting to get there) im just going to write down exactly what my brother does when he puts up the 3 so I can do it on my own next time. Its actually become kinda fun to draw out some stuff, but not bodies, I cant do those yet. :P
By the time you finish reading this signature, I've gotten into your house, stolen your t.v., and re-decorated the place so that it fits with your hipster lifestyle.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2006, 03:18:48 pm »
Unfortunately, most people are going to vote "No" to this poll. They're all wrong.

Are drawings essential to a creature? Yes. It shows the sad state of schooling, but most people feel the need to have something to look at rather than make something up in their heads. It's true. Not being able to draw is not an excuse for giving up, but pictures are still essential.

I mean, I can't post proper pictures because I have no scanner, but I still threw up a crappy Paint picture. Everyone can do that. Now we have the creature editor, it's even easier. You might even be able to get one of the artists on the forum to do a picture for you. Pictures aren't difficult, even if you can't draw. And they are essential. So to answer the question posed by the thread title, no. To answer the question posed by the poll, yes.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2006, 03:21:36 pm »
I meant to vote "yes" but I answered the thread title instead of the poll question and the clearly biased htread starter hasnt given the option to remove my vote :(

Offline HolsteinCow

• Vanguard Venturer
  • NOT A TROLL
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2006, 03:25:28 pm »
I meant to vote "yes" but I answered the thread title instead of the poll question and the clearly biased htread starter hasnt given the option to remove my vote :(

They both mean the same thing

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2006, 04:14:13 pm »
No they dont. If you 'cant draw' you shouldnt give up... you should try drawing. Whereas I think that drawings are indeed essential to a creature, so they arent the same thank you.

Offline GrrrArrgh

• Venture Conqueror
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2006, 04:35:23 pm »
What if you're a stubborn bastard like me who not only can't draw but refuses to draw? I think the sentiment stems back even further to my role playing days and the obsession with having character pictures. I always felt one should be able to use their imagination and just visualize based on description. Sure pictures are fun to look at, but I wouldn't say they're necessary or essential. How often has someone read a book which was then turned into a movie or some other form of media and thought "that's not how I pictured it", then been somewhat disappointed by having that new image imposed upon your brain. Doesn't really apply as well here I guess, but the point is people are capable of creating their own vision of something without the aid of a picture. The interpretation might be somewhat different than that of the original creator, but the same goes for any artist drawing a request or different people doing multiple drawings of the same creature.
There is a method to my madness. That method is in and of itself quite mad, but it is method nonetheless.