Author Topic: The PSP is Dead  (Read 50068 times)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: The PSP is Dead
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2006, 08:12:14 am »
Second what is gonna keep Sony from dropping the PSP price to 150$? They even say later in the article that Sony has a "rumored" price drop later this year.

Economics? Basic business sense? The fact it likely costs them more than $150 to make one of those disc-launching monsters?
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2006, 09:07:43 am »
To much bias, to few facts in that "article".

I feel the same way, though I think the PSP is doing at best marginally well right now.

For instance, the article makes it sound like the Wii is gonna kill the PSP because it is gonna be "cheaper" then the PSP.

First of, that is pure speculation.

Yes, it is. Wii is going to kill the PS3. Big difference. ;)

Second what is gonna keep Sony from dropping the PSP price to 150$? They even say later in the article that Sony has a "rumored" price drop later this year.

But honestly, I'm not even sure that would help. I don't sense any hype around the PSP any longer, meanwhile Nintendo could belch loudly, charge people for it, and everyone would be pleased to do so. And understand, I'm not against the PSP; I just don't hear anybody talking about it like when it was first being released. Seems to exist in this little void somewhere, trapped between the DS and the GBA.

Third, people [buy] handhelds because they are, well, handhelds. They buy them so they can play their favorite games on the go. That is why GTA is the top selling game on the PSP. Because love GTA and love to play it on the go.

I think people just love GTA. I don't think it's a significant benefit that it's on-the-go, so to speak. It's just that GTA is likely the best-selling (on average per installment) franchise in gaming right now. The other reason why it sold so enormously well is because it has relatively little competition for a PSP owner's money. IMO, the astonishing thing about the DS's 13 million-unit sellers is that they are largely competing with each other. There is simply so many damn good games for the DS, that is't difficult to buy them all; they're taking away from each other. I don't think PSP games are competing with DS games as much as DS ones are with each other.

Fourth, using the Xpod as a valid argument as the PSP's downfall is idiotic. We barely know any thing about it and yet it is suppose to come out and kill the PSP?

I agree here. I think the DS is handling the PSP quite well on its own. That said, it depends on what Microsoft brings to the table. If they come out with something that's DS-inspired -- ie., pushing innovation as opposed to ports -- it could do well, at least in the West.

Just because UMD movie have failed doesn't mean that the PSP is gonna fail. Tekken: Dark Resurrection was on the fourth most selling game in Japan just a week ago.

Yes, but here's what I think is significant: How many original, non-franchise games have succeeded on the PSP? That's a problem. If a game has to be from a huge franchise to begin with in order to do really well, that's going to push some developers away.

And yet, the PSP has sold more games then the DS. At least it had so around two months ago, it might have changed by now.

I would comment on the points in the link, but it just brings me to a site that says Springlink.

Any proof of this? I find it very hard to believe the PSP has been selling more games, when the DS has been completely pwning the PSP in sales.

I'm with Winter. I don't buy it.

That said, it's fun to go back in time and see how many people should put their feet in their mouths:

http://www.g4tv.com/xplay/features/51374/Verdict_Sony_PSP_vs_Nintendo_DS.html

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2006, 09:08:04 am »

Economics? Basic business sense? The fact it likely costs them more than $150 to make one of those disc-launching monsters?

That doesn't mean they can't drop the price. I was just giving an example, that was based on speculation, like the guy in the article was. Besides, we don't know how much it costs Sony to make a PSP at this point, but I doubt that they are still taking a loss on every unit sold.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2006, 09:24:50 am »

That doesn't mean they can't drop the price. I was just giving an example, that was based on speculation, like the guy in the article was. Besides, we don't know how much it costs Sony to make a PSP at this point, but I doubt that they are still taking a loss on every unit sold.

I'm curious about that as well, considering the bath Sony is taking on PS3 production. Hopefully, the PSP isn't losing money per unit anymore. They're practically hemorrhaging money as it is.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2006, 10:17:35 am »

But then they would have to make the money back by selling UMDs... which no one is buying... so, meh.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2006, 12:04:10 pm »

But then they would have to make the money back by selling UMDs... which no one is buying... so, meh.

People are buying UMD's, just not UMD movies.

Also, PHI I was gonna reply to your post, but I had to mow the lawn in the hottest day this year, so any thing longer then this post is gonna kill me.

PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2006, 01:03:52 pm »
Also, PHI I was gonna reply to your post, but I had to mow the lawn in the hottest day this year, so any thing longer then this post is gonna kill me.

I completely sympathize. I mowed the lawn yesterday and wanted to die. :) Friggin' 104 out there.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2006, 01:42:40 pm »
At the moment its 86 Farenheit here... indoors.... at 10 pm. This is a country where houses dont have air-con or even ceiling fans. Its flipping boiling

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2006, 02:48:52 pm »
I think the evil witch of the east said it best.

"I am melting, I AM MELTING. Oh what a world!"

Offline darkstar

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Cool looking UFO- Priceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2006, 06:02:20 pm »
sony made a mistake in entering the handheld market, they couldn't just update the graphics to beat nintendo there and the handheld was designed to do too much, not to mention how much more it costs than the ds.

The ps3 will likly do fine, but end up like the gamecube has, having a few really great games allowing it to keep going a bit and keep sony alive, but not enough to make large numbers of people buy it. The ps3 simply costs too much, and games for it could even end up costing more than $60. It just won't sell well enough.
Those who think anything is possible have never tried slamming a revolving door.

Everything has a weakness against grenades ;)

Current Favorite Game- Spore

Waiting on:
Fallout 3
Starcraft 2

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2006, 06:56:21 pm »
Will Sony be able to do what Nintendo did with the GameCube?

The GameCube, despite all of its "shortcomings" still turned a profit when all was said and done. The PS3 does not look like it will be making much profit.... ever.

Compound that with all the cash Sony has been sending out for lawsuits, plus some reports that their other divisions have not been doing so well, Sony could be poised to be in quite the pickle come this next generation.

Offline aname

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • The name's Mario, Mario Mario.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2006, 08:03:59 pm »
and not to mention every console they DO sell takes away money.
Back in black, with a gray dry brush and a red stiple effect.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2006, 05:37:46 am »
The ps3 will likly do fine, but end up like the gamecube has, having a few really great games allowing it to keep going a bit and keep sony alive, but not enough to make large numbers of people buy it. The ps3 simply costs too much, and games for it could even end up costing more than $60. It just won't sell well enough.

See, I have the different view: The PS3 will either be enormously successful or it will die utterly, potentially taking Sony with it. I cannot fathom it staying alive if it were to do GameCube numbers; that would be a death sentence for the system. Because if people reject the PS3, they're likely going to buy a 360 and/or a Wii, and many 3rd parties are sticking with Sony betting on them having the majority marketshare this time around like with the PS2. If they don't and it's obvious they won't have it, they will lose much of their support and that would kill the PS3 almost entirely.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2006, 08:16:57 am »
Let's just hope that that does not happen.

As much as I dislike Sony, they have some nice stuff.

Although... I would love to play a new Final Fantasy on a Nintendo console... WHERE IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE!

Offline Flak

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
    • The Spore Zoo and Creature Cave
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2006, 04:25:58 pm »
that is the biggest load of crap I've ever read. There is tons of content out there for it and it can do a hell of a lot more than a DS. My DS will continue to collect dust.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 04:30:17 pm by Flak »