Author Topic: Cross-Platform Games: To Wii or not to Wii  (Read 6917 times)

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
Cross-Platform Games: To Wii or not to Wii
« on: July 15, 2006, 11:13:29 pm »
So I was reading about CoD 3, and for those of you who don't know this game is coming out for 360, PS3, and the Wii. My question what system do i get it on? The 360 has graphics and online will pretty much rock (yes wii will be online too, but there using friend codes, that makes my brain hurt.) Wii has the controller and will probally be cheaper. I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what system i want to buy it on. Last gen was easy, I would just buy the xbox version because of the hard drive and the graphics were just a little bit better, but this gen there are a lot more factors that weigh in. What are your guys thoughts on cross platform games, assuming you'll have a wii and a 360/PS3?

I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

c14dude

Re: Cross-Platform Games: To Wii or not to Wii
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 11:57:35 pm »
get it on the pc  ;D

really though i would go with PS3

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 12:05:44 am »
I'm personally going to get the Wii version, as I plan to get a Wii at launch and don't plan on getting a 360 in the near future. It kind of depends on what you want though: Do you want great graphics, great online, and achievments with the 360? Or do you want great control and a great new way to play with Wii? I love console WWII FPS as much as anyone else, but I'm really kind of aching for something new, and I think I'll find that on Wii. Not to mention, the Wii version has great graphics, just not quite up the level of the 360 or PS3.

Here are some pictures of the Wii version:

You can read up about the Wii version here:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/717/717777p1.html

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 12:15:44 am »
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ss5y4h8m9dE&search=mass%20effect

The choice is obvious.   ;)
Words can not describe this game.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2006, 02:13:19 am »

He was talking about Call of Duty 3.

But yes, this game does look absolutly awesome. It looks like you're watching a Star Wars movie, and the idea of skipping along the galaxy (a la Spore) sounds incredible. This is the game that's going to make me buy a 360.......someday.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 02:15:58 am by Pilot4Life »

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 02:17:49 am »

ooh. Ees verre nice.

Ditto the obove. If the 360 ever become cheap i might just get one... if
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 09:45:54 am »
Mass Effect is amazing. I'm simply curious why this thread suddenly became about a game that isn't going to be on it by any chance in all of Hades.

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 02:26:14 pm »

Well yeah Mess Effect is a no brainer. Back on topic: one thing that might prevent me from getting a the wii version depends if the Wii can show a lot of enemies on the screen at once. There's this one part in CoD2 where you're held up in this small base and the germans are swarming from all sides. When I first saw about 20 germans coming form the north they looked like little dots and my first thought that it wasn't really 20 solders but just some graphics trick. That was until I pulled out my sniper rifle and shot a couple and saw them fall down, and then a couple seconds later they were on top of us and killed my entire squad. It was just one of those moments when the technology really surprises you.

Could the wii pull something like Dead Rising? I don't remember seeing anything that has really shown off the power of the Wii's hardware.

**Edit I remembered the name to Dead Rising**
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 03:36:44 pm by ilikesanta »
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2006, 06:33:21 pm »
Well yeah Mess Effect is a no brainer. Back on topic: one thing that might prevent me from getting a the wii version depends if the Wii can show a lot of enemies on the screen at once. There's this one part in CoD2 where you're held up in this small base and the germans are swarming from all sides. When I first saw about 20 germans coming form the north they looked like little dots and my first thought that it wasn't really 20 solders but just some graphics trick. That was until I pulled out my sniper rifle and shot a couple and saw them fall down, and then a couple seconds later they were on top of us and killed my entire squad. It was just one of those moments when the technology really surprises you.

Could the wii pull something like (insert zombie game that takes place in a mall for the 360 here)? I don't remember seeing anything that has really shown off the power of the Wii's hardware.

Of course it could. It might not be able to pull off the graphics potential of the other two, though the graphics could be pared down enough to easily have it handle that many soldiers on-screen at once.

Offline aname

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • The name's Mario, Mario Mario.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2006, 07:24:33 pm »

Could the wii pull something like (insert zombie game that takes place in a mall for the 360 here)? I don't remember seeing anything that has really shown off the power of the Wii's hardware.

well, its less of a question of having that many things on at once, its more of a question of will it lag like hell if it can?
Back in black, with a gray dry brush and a red stiple effect.

c14dude

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2006, 09:16:28 pm »
well, its less of a question of having that many things on at once, its more of a question of will it lag like hell if it can?

lag is an internet term i wish people would stop confusing it for fps woes.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2006, 05:38:19 am »

Either usage is fine.

lag
v. lagged, lag·ging, lags
v. intr.
1.To fail to keep up a pace; straggle.
2.To proceed or develop with comparative slowness: The electric current lags behind the voltage.
3.To fail, weaken, or slacken gradually; flag.

Regardless of its cause, the effect is the same -- the game slows down.

c14dude

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2006, 03:28:28 pm »
yes but its been universally regarded as a internet term, up untill about
two years ago when people started using it as fps troubles

Offline aname

• Starcross Space Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2006, 03:47:50 pm »
some on people, its not that big a deal.

c14dude

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2006, 04:16:13 pm »
i know its not but, being the hermit i am it bugs me  :-X

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2006, 07:16:38 pm »
I'm not playing it.  It's not being developed by Infinity Ward and it's not coming to the PC. 

Offline El Stevo

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2006, 01:56:06 am »
Generally speaking I doubt we'll see all that many cross-platform games on Wii. What they may do is continue the trend of having multiple games with the same title. For example, GRAW on the Xbox was a lot different to GRAW on the Xbox 360. And the Cars movie games are different on each platform.

As I have a 360 anyway, I think I'll just use my Wii for Wii exclusive titles and my 360 for the rest of the games.

Wii will need some licensed games to help it appeal to a broader market though, because people like licensed stuff. So I'd actually rather see a game developed specifically for the Wii than a hacked-down version of a game which was developed for the PS3, if it's a license or big franchise.
Don't touch the screen!
Rank 4: Elite
Gamertag - El Stev0  |  Last.fm
Overwhelmed, as one would be, placed in my position.

Offline El Stevo

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2006, 01:59:39 am »

I agree.
Don't touch the screen!

Offline Granite T. Rock

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Granite's Homepage
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2006, 04:37:49 pm »

I used the phrases my "computer gets choppy" or "my computer was lagging up" interchangeably before I even knew what the internet was and electronic mail meant a 72 hour wait before my friend would receive it as it made it's way accross the world through BBS's that phoned eached other during the middle of the night.
My Spore Profile  ****  My Spore Videos
Wii Friend Code: 7772 0178 1092 3363  Mario Kart Code: 2363-6666-4480 (PM me when you add me)

Offline Danzik

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2006, 04:47:21 pm »
Electronic mail meant a 72 hour wait before my friend would receive it as it made it's way accross the world through BBS's that phoned each other during the middle of the night.
Granite T. Rock = Old school

c14dude

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2006, 04:48:27 pm »
wikipedia GIIIRRRRLLLLL/WOOMMAAAANNNNNN!

Lag often refers to delays experienced in computing communications, however it may also apply to written or other forms of communication.

Within computing, Lag refers to the time taken for a packet of data from the sending application to the receiving application. This includes both transit time over the network, and computer processing time at both the source and destination computers.

Whilst in the strictest sense every packet experiences lag, the term lag is implied to refer to noticeable delays to the user caused as a result of extended or unexpected delay. As the time taken for a packet to travel from a server in Europe to a client nearby in the same region is likely to differ from a trip from Europe to the Americas or Asia, it is possible that two users may experience connections to the same server with a different extent of network lag.

c14dude

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2006, 04:51:28 pm »

I used the phrases my "computer gets choppy" or "my computer was lagging up" interchangeably before I even knew what the internet was and electronic mail meant a 72 hour wait before my friend would receive it as it made it's way accross the world through BBS's that phoned eached other during the middle of the night.

at least i'm not the only one on this forum who remembers dos commands then

Offline Devoid

• Qix Crazy
  • Join the resistance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2006, 08:48:52 pm »
Lag can refer to any delay between when you tell a device to do something, and when it does something. A TV commercial for a car recently advertised "No lag," referring to the time when you hit the gas and when the car begins to accelerate. It's a much more general term than you guys think, especially since internet lingo is bleeding into our everyday vocabulary. Whether the dictionary says it or not, lag means a lot more than it used to. Besides, proof that it wasn't born on the internet is the compound word "Jetlag," which would be lag gained specifically on a jet, so it's been around before Internet-lag became a common term.

So THERE.

Oh, and staying on topic with the thread here, I'm kind of weary of Wii ports. It'd be difficult to work the Wii's functionality into most games, and I'm sure there's a lot of things that a developer could mess up, which could mean a lot of crappy ports.

c14dude

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2006, 12:24:35 am »
i guess the terminology has moved on since my days of online gaming then, BUT I WILL ALWAYS CALL LAG WHAT IT USED TO MEAN, A DELAY IN PACKETS!

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2006, 03:11:22 am »
Uh... I think youll find lag bled into the internet from the real world, not the other way round. It sounds distinctly anglo-saxon in origin
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

c14dude

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2006, 03:52:35 am »
i'm aware it did manifest itself on the internet first. i'm just saying it was adopted on the internet
net as a term for ping and such first.

Offline El Stevo

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2006, 10:21:49 am »
A DELAY IN PACKETS!

Latency

This causes lag
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 10:23:24 am by El Stevo »
Don't touch the screen!

Offline Faxanadu ELC

• Fire Truck Driver
  • That rug really tied the room together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2006, 11:29:14 am »
I'm gonna go with jet lag for firsties... anyone else bored yet?

My fear with ports to the Wii are the obvious - poorly realized and gimmicky controls.

Since Infinity Ward has nothing to do with CoD3 I'd say go with Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway for 360 (or PS3, if you must).  BiA looks better, and commanding friendly AI that's avoids stupidity most of the time is a lot of fun, especially since the game requires strategy.

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2006, 12:41:00 am »
I'm gonna go with jet lag for firsties... anyone else bored yet?

My fear with ports to the Wii are the obvious - poorly realized and gimmicky controls.

Since Infinity Ward has nothing to do with CoD3 I'd say go with Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway for 360 (or PS3, if you must).  BiA looks better, and commanding friendly AI that's avoids stupidity most of the time is a lot of fun, especially since the game requires strategy.

huh i didn't realize it was being made by someone else, uh maybe I'll wait for that one.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2006, 08:38:28 am »
i'm aware it did manifest itself on the internet first. i'm just saying it was adopted on the internet
net as a term for ping and such first.

I'm relatively certain you can use ping to your heart's content as an internet-only term, but I think lag is used universally for any sort of delay, particularly of the electronic type.

Offline Faxanadu ELC

• Fire Truck Driver
  • That rug really tied the room together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2006, 09:20:18 am »
I'm relatively certain you can use ping to your heart's content as an internet-only term, but I think lag is used universally for any sort of delay, particularly of the electronic type.

Is that why they removed "Ping" from "Pong" - to avoid the negative association?  Only ISPs can slow down the speed of light.

Offline darkstar

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Cool looking UFO- Priceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2006, 05:50:08 pm »
to me it depends mostly on what system the gameplay is better on, yes graphics are important, but if the gameplay on one system is better than the gameplay on another with slightly better graphics I would choose the system with better gameplay anyday.

In this case it is likely (though not guarenteed) that the wii probably has better gameplay (as the controller gives pretty much any fps better gameplay then a normal controller) and thus I would get the wii version.

Personally i plan to buy a wii, then depending on its success, a ps3 when it goes down to a reasonable price (I want ff13 and kh3)
Those who think anything is possible have never tried slamming a revolving door.

Everything has a weakness against grenades ;)

Current Favorite Game- Spore

Waiting on:
Fallout 3
Starcraft 2

Offline aname

• Starcross Space Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2006, 06:42:52 pm »
i just realized i HAVE to buy a ps3 eventually for my favorite series. ratchet and clank. :'(

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2006, 07:00:36 pm »
i just realized i HAVE to buy a ps3 eventually for my favorite series. ratchet and clank. :'(

Not if they bankrupt before it comes out...
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline aname

• Starcross Space Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2006, 07:29:45 pm »
sony or Insomniac?

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2006, 08:03:50 pm »
Sony.
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline aname

• Starcross Space Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2006, 08:04:31 pm »
good. cause insomniac is the best. i hope they go wii. :D

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2006, 05:31:07 am »

Not if they bankrupt before it comes out...

Here's the part that I'm actually interested in: Say Sony were to go down, which 3rd party do you think would jump ship first? I mean, there are a lot that are like, "Sony FTW!!," but which ones would stick it out or immediately prepare ports of their games for either the 360 or Wii?